strange problem

thedarkman

<P>
<H2><A href="m_s_ismichaelstoneguilty_site_index.html">Click
here</A> to enter site.</H2></CENTER>

the above code fragment is in my index.html file; it should link to
the file in question: m_s_ismichaelstoneguilty_site_index.html

it works in cyberspace although the site is off-line at the moment,
something I will sort out this week. It doesn't work on my hard disk
though. I've had this before. Can anyone explain why?

Thanks

thedarkman

Incidentally, that code is strange HTML - what's that <P> tag doing there?
Also, I presume that </CENTER> means you're still controlling presentation
through HTML rather than CSS.

--

What is CSS? I'm using Internet Explorer; the full code is given
below:

<!-- saved from url=(0036)http://www.ismichaelstoneguilty.org/ -->
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>WELCOME TO ISMICHAELSTONEGUILTY? WEBSITE</TITLE>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html;
charset=windows-1252">
<META
content="Barbara Stone, Chillenden murders, Damien Daley, Dr Lin
Russell, Josie Russell, Michael Stone"
name=KeyWords -- index.html www.ismichaelstoneguilty http: is file
this <!-->
<META content="MSHTML 5.50.4134.600" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY><FONT color=#000000>
<CENTER>
<H1>WELCOME TO</H1></CENTER><FONT color=#ff0000>
<CENTER>
<H1><I>ismichaelstoneguilty</I></H1></CENTER><FONT color=#000000><BR>
<H2>
<P>This website has been set up on behalf of Michael Stone, twice
convicted of
the 1996 Chillenden murders.
<H2>
<P>The Webmaster of this site is Alexander Baron.
<H2>
<P>The domain and webspace were kindly donated by a London businessman
who cares
passionately about justice.
<CENTER>
<P>
<H2><A href="m_s_ismichaelstoneguilty_site_index.html">Click
here</A> to enter site.</H2></CENTER>

<P>You are visitor number

<P><script language="JavaScript" src="http://www.cgi2you.com/counter/f-
counter.php?user=a_baron"></script>

<P>since August 5, 2004</P></H2>

username=ismichaelstoneguilty' target=_blank>View my guestbook</a>

</FONT></BODY></HTML>

Raymond SCHMIT

[...]

After discovering this:
<!-- saved from url=(0036)http://www.ismichaelstoneguilty.org/ -->
i tried to go testting by myself - so i surf to:
http://www.ismichaelstoneguilty.org/
and..... the result is:
Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

richard

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 13:29:11 -0700 (PDT), thedarkman

After discovering this:
<!-- saved from url=(0036)http://www.ismichaelstoneguilty.org/ -->
i tried to go testting by myself - so i surf to:
http://www.ismichaelstoneguilty.org/
and..... the result is:
Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

well duh, is there some part of "being offline" not understood?
it was mentioned clearly.

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Neredbojias:
It's incorrect html. Remove the <P>

It's clueless in many ways, and the empty P element violates a "should
not" statement in HTML specs, but it is not formally incorrect. Not even
the most stupid markup should be accused of something it is not.
Besides, the empty P element has nothing to do with the question.

The OP has apparently confused herself or himself and cannot keep track
of the test versions. Or maybe the question was just trolling...

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Neredbojias:
I took it as the <h2> was included in
the <p>, but since there's a LFCR after the <p>, apparently this is
not so.

A line break (typically implemented as CR or LF or CR LF at the
character level) is not relevant here.

This is valid (though clueless and against recommendations):

and it contains an empty <p> element. This is not valid:

but that's because of the </p> tag (though, admittedly, such an error in
practice results from a misguided attempt to use an <h2> element inside
a <p> element).

thedarkman

Hi,

it works okay in the local caff; interesting discussion by you code
warriors but for me html is a means to and end.

And what pray is so wrong with

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit thedarkman:
it works okay in the local caff; interesting discussion by you code
warriors but for me html is a means to and end.

You don't seem to be willing to learn to use the means properly,
including the Usenet (upside-down fullquoting is a usual signal of
bogosity here).
And what pray is so wrong with

You haven't described your problem any more sensibly than by the
clueless Subject line "strange problem". If you aren't trolling, as your
question suggests, we can safely assume that you can be ignored for
other reasons.

Jonathan N. Little

thedarkman said:

Even though you broke posting protocol I will answer your question.
it works okay in the local caff; interesting discussion by you code
warriors but for me html is a means to and end.

And what pray is so wrong with

Simply, H2 is a block element and P element can only inline elements as
children.

<!ELEMENT P - O (%inline;)* -- paragraph -->

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/text.html#edef-P

with other example that was posted:

since the closing P tag is optional AFAIK what it would translated as is:

<h2>hello world</h2>

Raymond SCHMIT

well duh, is there some part of "being offline" not understood?
it was mentioned clearly.

In fact, the website did not exist. Here is the result with SeaMonkey:
Address Not Found

www.ismichaelstoneguilty.org could not be found. Please check the name
and try again.

The browser could not find the host server for the provided address.

* Did you make a mistake when typing the domain? (e.g.
ww.mozilla.org instead of www.mozilla.org)
* Are you certain this domain address exists? Its registration
may have expired.
* Are you unable to browse other sites? Check your network
connection and DNS server settings.
* Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy?
Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing.

If the website exist, we can test it, if not .....

dorayme

"Jonathan N. Little said:
Simply, H2 is a block element and P element can only inline elements as
children.

More complicatedly, a normally inline element can be styled to display
as block within a p element without too much trouble.

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme said:
More complicatedly, a normally inline element can be styled to display
as block within a p element without too much trouble.

True, but block element like H2 within a P is invalid markup whereas a
SPAN if styled as block is not. Both should render as a separate block,
but the former is invalid with respect to HTML.