Strange results and no explanation on JVM

Paul G.

Hi,

We have developed a J2EE application in order to process financial
simulations. This application is working with floating point
representation and is very CPU demanding.

We did some benchmarking and find out that running under AIX is 6
times faster than on SUN. My question is WHY there is such a major
difference I’m not able to find a rationale in order to explain
that, if it will be 1 or 2 times then we can say it is the JVM but 6
times then it is something major…

Environment:
Websphere Application Server 4.0.5
IBM 630,
2 power4 cpu at 1GHz and 4 GB of memory, AIX 5.2
JVM: java version "1.3.1"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.1)
Classic VM (build 1.3.1, J2RE 1.3.1 IBM AIX build ca131w-20021107
ORB130
(JIT enabled: jitc))

SUN V480R,
2 ultra sparc III cpu at 900 MHz and 4 GB of memory, Solaris 8
JVM: java version "1.3.1_05"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.1_05-b02)

We did the installation of the Webpshere application server from the
box so no fine tuning has been done of any server.

Time results:
1 simulation
IBM: 7 seconds
SUN: 45 seconds