Strange StringIndexOutOfBoundsException

Discussion in 'Java' started by dutone, Aug 25, 2004.

  1. dutone

    dutone Guest

    I get the above exception ('String index out of range: -5') at random
    points during readMultiLine()'s network read (listed below). According
    to doc. the only method that could be throwing this is sb.delete() but
    it doesnt meet the conditions for the exception. When I run it on a
    file, no error, only when doing network io.
    Any Ideas?????

    main()
    {
    //Init......
    String lines[] = readMultiLine();
    // ....
    }

    private String readLine() throws IOException
    {
    int c;

    sb.delete(0,sb.length());
    c = is.read();

    while( c > 0 ) {
    sb.append((char)c);
    if( (char)c == '\n' ) break;
    c = is.read();
    }

    return ( (sb.length() > 0) ? sb.toString():null);

    }

    private String[] readMultiLine() throws IOException
    {
    String retval[] = null;
    String x = readLine();

    lineBuffer.removeAllElements();
    while(x != null) {

    if( x.equals("^\r\n") ) break;

    lineBuffer.addElement(x);
    x = readLine();
    }

    retval = new String[lineBuffer.size()];
    lineBuffer.copyInto(retval);

    return (retval);
    }

    dutone, Aug 25, 2004

  2. dutone

    Paul Lutus Guest

    dutone wrote:

    > I get the above exception ('String index out of range: -5') at random
    > points during readMultiLine()'s network read (listed below). According
    > to doc. the only method that could be throwing this is sb.delete() but
    > it doesnt meet the conditions for the exception. When I run it on a
    > file, no error, only when doing network io.
    > Any Ideas?????

    Just one. Tell us which line of your code throws the exception.

    --
    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com

    Paul Lutus, Aug 25, 2004

  3. dutone

    Nick Pomfret Guest

    What are the fields 'sb', 'lineBuffer' and 'is' and what values do they
    hold?

    --

    ** http://www.tabletoolkit.com **
    Aggregate a JTable to an arbitrary level to create your own pivot tables

    Nick Pomfret, Aug 25, 2004
  4. dutone wrote:

    > I get the above exception ('String index out of range: -5') at random
    > points during readMultiLine()'s network read (listed below). According
    > to doc. the only method that could be throwing this is sb.delete() but
    > it doesnt meet the conditions for the exception. When I run it on a
    > file, no error, only when doing network io.
    > Any Ideas?????

    As others have written, provide a complete example and a full
    description of the exception (preferably including the stack trace).
    There are some problems and potential problems in your code that I can
    still comment on without that, however:

    > private String readLine() throws IOException
    > {
    > int c;
    >
    > sb.delete(0,sb.length());

    Chances are you would be better off making sb a local variable (and
    creating a new instance at each invocation of this method).

    > c = is.read();
    >
    > while( c > 0 ) {
    > sb.append((char)c);

    Reading a byte from an InputStream (the presumed type of "is") and
    casting it to a char is fundamentally unsound. You should be wrapping
    your InputStream in an InputStreamReader that specifies the correct
    character encoding for the characters. You might still cast the
    resulting ints to char, but you would know that they actually represent
    chars.

    > if( (char)c == '\n' ) break;

    The explicit comparison against '\n' is non-portable. It would fail on
    systems that do not use '\n' or "\r\n" as a line terminator for text
    files, such as Mac.

    > c = is.read();
    > }
    >
    > return ( (sb.length() > 0) ? sb.toString():null);
    >
    > }
    >
    > private String[] readMultiLine() throws IOException
    > {
    > String retval[] = null;
    > String x = readLine();

    See below regarding readLine().

    > lineBuffer.removeAllElements();

    The lineBuffer variable really ought to be local to this method. It
    looks like a Vector; you would probably be a bit better off using one of
    the other List implementations (and the methods of the List interface
    instead of the Vector-specific ones), but that doesn't look like it's
    causing an actual problem.

    > while(x != null) {
    >
    > if( x.equals("^\r\n") ) break;

    Are you trying to stop at a line containing just a single '^' character?
    That equals() comparison is wrong if you're trying to match a blank
    line, and it will fail in many cases when the input was not generated on
    Windows.

    > lineBuffer.addElement(x);
    > x = readLine();

    If you wrap your input in a BufferedReader then you can use its
    readLine() method, which solves many of the non-portable line
    termination problems exhibited by your code. There is a difference that
    you should be aware of, however: BufferedReader.readLine() does not
    include the line termination characters (whatever they are) in the
    Strings it returns. Using a BufferedReader is often a considerable
    performance win over an unbuffered Reader or InputStream, too.

    > }
    >
    > retval = new String[lineBuffer.size()];
    > lineBuffer.copyInto(retval);
    >

    > return (retval);
    > }

    I don't see the index problem in the code you posted. Most likely it is
    in the code you did not post -- either in code that you cut out of these
    methods or in other methods. Create a small, self-contained example
    that exhibits the bug [check that!] and post it.

    John Bollinger

    John C. Bollinger, Aug 25, 2004
  5. On 25 Aug 2004 00:14:35 -0700, dutone wrote:

    > I get the above exception ...

    For help on those strange exceptions, see...
    <http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#exact>

    Also, it seems a better group for the moment might be..
    [ the people ther are *much* nicer, trust me.. ;-) ]

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Aug 25, 2004
  6. dutone

    dutone Guest

    Paul Lutus <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > dutone wrote:
    >
    > > I get the above exception ('String index out of range: -5') at random
    > > points during readMultiLine()'s network read (listed below). According
    > > to doc. the only method that could be throwing this is sb.delete() but
    > > it doesnt meet the conditions for the exception. When I run it on a
    > > file, no error, only when doing network io.
    > > Any Ideas?????

    > Just one. Tell us which line of your code throws the exception.

    It doesnt say, it just says uncought exception StringIndexOutOfBounds:
    String Index out of range -5. I've tried catching it, but to no avail
    -so I cant say for sure where its coming from. I want to say at the
    x.equals("^\r\n") but only because the "^\r\n" string is 5 chars long
    and the exception says the index is -5.

    dutone, Aug 25, 2004
  7. dutone

    dutone Guest

    Paul Lutus <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > dutone wrote:
    >
    > > I get the above exception ('String index out of range: -5') at random
    > > points during readMultiLine()'s network read (listed below). According
    > > to doc. the only method that could be throwing this is sb.delete() but
    > > it doesnt meet the conditions for the exception. When I run it on a
    > > file, no error, only when doing network io.
    > > Any Ideas?????

    > Just one. Tell us which line of your code throws the exception.

    Ok Ok forgetit problem solved.....

    dutone, Aug 25, 2004
  8. dutone

    Paul Lutus Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:

    > On 25 Aug 2004 00:14:35 -0700, dutone wrote:
    >
    >> I get the above exception ...

    > For help on those strange exceptions, see...
    > <http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#exact>
    >
    > Also, it seems a better group for the moment might be..
    > <http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#cljh>
    > [ the people ther are *much* nicer, trust me.. ;-) ]

    People new to Usenet should be aware that its status as an open,
    non-commercial forum causes grievous anguish to those who would like to
    make money from it, either by advertising in it, or by drawing people away
    from it, or both.

    Nearly the entire Internet has been transformed into a vast commercial
    enterprise, coplete with carpetbaggers, virtual open-air carnivals, and
    hucksters of every stripe. Usenet is one of the last vestiges of the old
    Internet, before the transformation.

    Now we see Usenet daily bombarded by what amount to echoes of the "other"
    Internet -- the one that, instead of trying to tell you something, is
    trying to sell you something.

    The site being promoted above as a "better group" is in fact not part of
    Usenet at all. It may have better, more to-the-point content (as seems tto
    be so), But people should be aware that it also serves someone's commercial
    interest, which Usenet cannot do.

    > ... the people ther are *much* nicer, trust me ...

    Yes, in the same way that a used car salesman is nicer than, say, a
    scientist who by disposition is compelled to tell you the truth. It all
    depends on what you want.

    On visiting the site, one is immediately impressed by its values:

    "Make a donation"

    "This space 4 hire! We are currently inviting bids for this space on a
    per-impression basis."

    All I am saying is this site is not part of Usenet. It functions on
    different principles. It is not fairly described as a "better group" as
    though it were part of Usenet. Having said that, it has plenty of useful
    content, representing countless hours of effort by many people.

    Caveat emptor.

    --
    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com

    Paul Lutus, Aug 25, 2004
  9. dutone

    Paul Lutus Guest

    dutone wrote:

    > Paul Lutus <> wrote in message
    >> dutone wrote:
    >>
    >> > I get the above exception ('String index out of range: -5') at random
    >> > points during readMultiLine()'s network read (listed below). According
    >> > to doc. the only method that could be throwing this is sb.delete() but
    >> > it doesnt meet the conditions for the exception. When I run it on a
    >> > file, no error, only when doing network io.
    >> > Any Ideas?????

    >> Just one. Tell us which line of your code throws the exception.

    > It doesnt say,

    But it could, if you will provide a try ... catch clause.

    > it just says uncought exception StringIndexOutOfBounds:
    > String Index out of range -5. I've tried catching it, but to no avail

    Try harder. Wrap the code section in a try .. catch clause.

    > -so I cant say for sure where its coming from. I want to say at the
    > x.equals("^\r\n") but only because the "^\r\n" string is 5 chars long
    > and the exception says the index is -5.

    What is in x at that point?

    --
    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com

    Paul Lutus, Aug 25, 2004
  10. dutone

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Paul Lutus wrote:
    > Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > > Also, it seems a better group for the moment might be..
    > > <http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#cljh>
    > > [ the people ther are *much* nicer, trust me.. ;-) ]

    [...]
    > The site being promoted above as a "better group" is in fact not part of
    > Usenet at all. [...]

    It seems to me that Paul has a good point here. If your (Andrew's) aim is to
    direct people to comp.lang.java.help, then wouldn't a link like
    news:comp.lang.java.help (or whatever the URL syntax is) be better ? With, by
    all means, an additional link to your faq as a side-order of extra information.

    -- chris

    Chris Uppal, Aug 25, 2004
  11. On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 11:40:14 -0700, Paul Lutus wrote:

    >> Also, it seems a better group for the moment might be..
    >> <http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#cljh>

    ,,
    > The site being promoted above as a "better group" is in fact not part of
    > Usenet at all.

    The site listed above is my site, it merely contains
    further information on the group I am 'promoting',
    < comp.lang.java.help >
    ...which BTW, is one that we both post to, (and
    very much part of Usenet)..

    >..It may have better, more to-the-point content (as seems tto
    > be so), But people should be aware that it also serves someone's commercial
    > interest, which Usenet cannot do.

    I was not proposing the OP post messages to my site.
    I neither run, nor am interested in running, forums,

    Usenet is just fine, and I discourage people from posting
    through 'web-based interfaces' to Usenet, as these sites
    generally do not give posters adequate information of the
    chaotic, 'rough and tumble' nature of Usenet (nor point
    out that Usenet is not a help-desk)

    My only point, in that post, is that questions from
    new Java programmers are better dealt with on the
    *Usenet* group specifically intended for them.

    I do not quite understand where you are coming
    from Paul, did I/we get wires crossed somehow?

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Aug 25, 2004
  12. On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:07:28 +0100, Chris Uppal wrote:
    > Paul Lutus wrote:
    >> Andrew Thompson wrote:
    >>> Also, it seems a better group for the moment might be..
    >>> <http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#cljh>
    >>> [ the people ther are *much* nicer, trust me.. ;-) ]

    > [...]
    >> The site being promoted above as a "better group" is in fact not part of
    >> Usenet at all. [...]

    > It seems to me that Paul has a good point here. If your (Andrew's) aim is to
    > direct people to comp.lang.java.help, then wouldn't a link like
    > news:comp.lang.java.help (or whatever the URL syntax is) be better ?

    Feel free to do that Chris.

    I, OTOH, will continue to post as I did, because I have
    already considered this matter and come up with what I
    feel is the best (all round, balanced) approach.

    The page lists the major Java groups and gives
    a sentence or two that provides further description
    of each. Then it links to the easiest place to
    browse/search those groups.

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Aug 25, 2004
  13. dutone

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Andrew,

    > > It seems to me that Paul has a good point here. If your (Andrew's) aim
    > > is to direct people to comp.lang.java.help, then wouldn't a link like
    > > news:comp.lang.java.help (or whatever the URL syntax is) be better ?

    > Feel free to do that Chris.
    >
    > I, OTOH, will continue to post as I did, because I have
    > already considered this matter [...]

    Fair enough. 'Twas only a suggestion.

    (And, to be honest, an attempt to bring out what I saw as a valuable point in a
    post that seemed almost designed to be misunderstood.)

    -- chris

    Chris Uppal, Aug 25, 2004
  14. dutone

    Paul Lutus Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:

    > On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 11:40:14 -0700, Paul Lutus wrote:
    >
    >>> Also, it seems a better group for the moment might be..
    >>> <http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#cljh>

    > ,,
    >> The site being promoted above as a "better group" is in fact not part of
    >> Usenet at all.

    > The site listed above is my site, it merely contains
    > further information on the group I am 'promoting',
    > < comp.lang.java.help >
    > ..which BTW, is one that we both post to, (and
    > very much part of Usenet)..

    You very clearly describe your *Web* *site*, not comp.java.lang.help, as a
    *group*. See above and below.

    >>..It may have better, more to-the-point content (as seems tto
    >> be so), But people should be aware that it also serves someone's
    >> commercial interest, which Usenet cannot do.

    > I was not proposing the OP post messages to my site.
    > I neither run, nor am interested in running, forums,

    In that case, what does this mean:

    >> Also, it seems a better group for the moment might be..
    >> <http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#cljh>
    >> [  the people ther are much nicer, trust me..  ;-)  ]

    You describe it as a "group", and infer that it is a group like this one,
    but nicer. What conclusion is a newbie meant to draw?.

    The remedy is to describe your site as ... hmmm ... a Web site? Not a group,
    and without any inference of comparability to Usenet?

    > Usenet is just fine, and I discourage people from posting
    > through 'web-based interfaces' to Usenet, as these sites
    > generally do not give posters adequate information of the
    > chaotic, 'rough and tumble' nature of Usenet (nor point
    > out that Usenet is not a help-desk)

    Then in the future, you won't want to be describing your site as a "group"
    and comparing your Web site to Usenet groups as though there is a
    functional basis for comparison. Right?

    > My only point, in that post, is that questions from
    > new Java programmers are better dealt with on the
    > *Usenet* group specifically intended for them.

    That is not what you said. By implication, you are trying to create a
    distinction between things that are not comparable, as though your site
    needed to be distinguished from Usenet. It doesn't. Your Web site is not a
    group.

    > I do not quite understand where you are coming
    > from Paul, did I/we get wires crossed somehow?

    I have been crystal clear.

    --
    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com

    Paul Lutus, Aug 26, 2004
  15. dutone

    Paul Lutus Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:

    > On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:07:28 +0100, Chris Uppal wrote:
    >> Paul Lutus wrote:
    >>>

    >> [...]
    >>> The site being promoted above as a "better group" is in fact not part of
    >>> Usenet at all. [...]

    >> It seems to me that Paul has a good point here. If your (Andrew's) aim
    >> is to direct people to comp.lang.java.help, then wouldn't a link like
    >> news:comp.lang.java.help (or whatever the URL syntax is) be better ?

    > Feel free to do that Chris.
    >
    > I, OTOH, will continue to post as I did, because I have
    > already considered this matter and come up with what I
    > feel is the best (all round, balanced) approach.

    Fine, as long as you do not continue to mislead people as you have been
    doing.

    > The page lists the major Java groups and gives
    > a sentence or two that provides further description
    > of each. Then it links to the easiest place to
    > browse/search those groups.

    That is not what you said. You directed a poster to your site, using the
    word "group" and suggesting that your site is a "better group" than this
    one. You are beginning to show an integrity chasm.

    --
    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com

    Paul Lutus, Aug 26, 2004
  16. On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 16:38:53 -0700, Paul Lutus wrote:

    >>> Also, it seems a better group for the moment might be..
    >>> <http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#cljh>
    >>> [  the people ther are much nicer, trust me..  ;-)  ]

    > You describe it as a "group", and infer that it is a group like this one,
    > but nicer. What conclusion is a newbie meant to draw?.
    >
    > The remedy is to describe your site as ... hmmm ... a Web site? Not a group,
    > and without any inference of comparability to Usenet?

    You could refer to the above as
    a) A string of letters describing an URL..
    b) An URL to a web-page..
    c) A web-page containing information on..
    d) ..A newsgroup.

    So I might, in fact, have said..
    "Click the string of letters below, that represent
    an URL pointing to my site, where I describe a better
    group.."

    I won't, since that is longer, & especially given
    the number of times it needs saying..

    But hey,.. feel free to follow me around 'warning'
    readers that it is an URL to a web-site.

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Aug 26, 2004
  17. dutone

    Paul Lutus Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:

    >> You describe it as a "group", and infer that it is a group like this one,
    >> but nicer. What conclusion is a newbie meant to draw?.
    >>
    >> The remedy is to describe your site as ... hmmm ... a Web site? Not a
    >> group, and without any inference of comparability to Usenet?

    > You could refer to the above as ...

    Okay, your post clearly shows you are intent on avoiding any personal
    accountability.

    > I won't, since that is longer, & especially given
    > the number of times it needs saying..

    It certainly doesn't need saying as you have been saying it.

    > But hey,.. feel free to follow me around 'warning'
    > readers that it is an URL to a web-site.

    And your conscience was surgically removed. Maybe used car sales is your
    true calling after all.

    --
    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com

    Paul Lutus, Aug 26, 2004
  18. On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 23:47:18 -0700, Paul Lutus wrote:
    > Andrew Thompson wrote:

    >> But hey,.. feel free to follow me around 'warning'
    >> readers that it is an URL to a web-site.

    > And your conscience was surgically removed. Maybe used car sales is your
    > true calling after all.

    For anyone that reads that comment in any future post..

    "I invite you to point your mouse at (then click on)
    the string of letters below which represent an URL
    to the Google web-site that shows the first post to the
    Usenet newsgroup comp.lang.java that led to that comment
    <http://google.com/groups?th=5b25be50d1bd6126#link8>

    Please feel free to read the words contained in
    the abovementioned comp.lang.java thread,
    and to come to your own (damn) conclusions."

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Aug 26, 2004
  19. dutone

    zoopy Guest

    On 25-8-2004 20:40, Paul Lutus wrote:

    > Andrew Thompson wrote:
    >

    >>On 25 Aug 2004 00:14:35 -0700, dutone wrote:
    >>

    >>>I get the above exception ...

    >>For help on those strange exceptions, see...
    >><http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#exact>
    >>
    >>Also, it seems a better group for the moment might be..
    >><http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#cljh>
    >>[ the people ther are *much* nicer, trust me.. ;-) ]

    ..

    > On visiting the site, one is immediately impressed by its values:

    Certanly not immediately.

    --
    Regards,
    Z.

    zoopy, Aug 26, 2004
  20. dutone

    Paul Lutus Guest

    zoopy wrote:

    > On 25-8-2004 20:40, Paul Lutus wrote:
    >
    >> Andrew Thompson wrote:

    >>>For help on those strange exceptions, see...
    >>><http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#exact>
    >>>
    >>>Also, it seems a better group for the moment might be..
    >>><http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#cljh>
    >>>[ the people ther are *much* nicer, trust me.. ;-) ]

    > .
    >>
    >> On visiting the site, one is immediately impressed by its values:

    > Certanly not immediately.

    That outcome depends on your ethical sensitivy, I guess.

    --
    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com

    Paul Lutus, Aug 26, 2004