    figure out why. The url is www.dunmowkarate.co.uk/newkarate/index.htm

    Thanks in Advance

    Paul
    Paul Watt, Jul 8, 2005

  2. Paul Watt

    Paul Watt Guest

    On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 07:15:05 -0500, Jerry Stuckle
    <> wrote:

    >Paul Watt wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> I'm trying to build a menu out of an unordered list and CSS. It works
    >> fine in Firefox, But in IE it makes the cell width massive and I cant
    >> figure out why. The url is www.dunmowkarate.co.uk/newkarate/index.htm
    >>
    >> Thanks in Advance
    >>
    >> Paul

    >Paul,
    >
    >Well, to start, fix the errors in your html:
    >
    >http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.dunmowkarate.co.uk/newkarate/index.htm

    I realise that there are errors on the page, but as you must have
    realised from the lack of content and the URL ,is that it is a mock up
    page, not a polished final page.
    Most of the error are coming from the Amazon advertising, so i'll
    tinker with that, but none of the other errors (missing ALT tags etc)
    have nothing to do with the unordered list.

    So i'm still none the wiser!

    cheers

    Paul
    Paul Watt, Jul 8, 2005

  3. Paul Watt

    the idiot Guest

    "Paul Watt" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 07:15:05 -0500, Jerry Stuckle
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Paul Watt wrote:
    > >> Hi,
    > >> I'm trying to build a menu out of an unordered list and CSS. It works
    > >> fine in Firefox, But in IE it makes the cell width massive and I cant
    > >> figure out why. The url is www.dunmowkarate.co.uk/newkarate/index.htm
    > >>
    > >> Thanks in Advance
    > >>
    > >> Paul

    > >Paul,
    > >
    > >Well, to start, fix the errors in your html:
    > >

    >http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.dunmowkarate.co.uk/new

    karate%2Findex.htm

    > I realise that there are errors on the page, but as you must have
    > realised from the lack of content and the URL ,is that it is a mock up
    > page, not a polished final page.
    > Most of the error are coming from the Amazon advertising, so i'll
    > tinker with that, but none of the other errors (missing ALT tags etc)
    > have nothing to do with the unordered list.
    >
    > So i'm still none the wiser!

    have you tried stipulating the width of the menu in the css?
    the idiot, Jul 8, 2005

    --
    ==================
    Remove the "x" from my email address

    ==================
    Jerry Stuckle, Jul 8, 2005
  5. Paul Watt

    Paul Watt Guest

    On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 13:01:27 +0100, "the idiot"
    <> wrote:

    >"Paul Watt" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 07:15:05 -0500, Jerry Stuckle
    >> <> wrote:

    >> >Paul,
    >> >
    >> >Well, to start, fix the errors in your html:
    >> >

    >>http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.dunmowkarate.co.uk/new

    >karate%2Findex.htm
    >>
    >> I realise that there are errors on the page, but as you must have
    >> realised from the lack of content and the URL ,is that it is a mock up
    >> page, not a polished final page.
    >> Most of the error are coming from the Amazon advertising, so i'll
    >> tinker with that, but none of the other errors (missing ALT tags etc)
    >> have nothing to do with the unordered list.
    >>
    >> So i'm still none the wiser!
    >>

    >have you tried stipulating the width of the menu in the css?

    I've set the cell at 18% both but altering the <TD> tag and the CSS
    class for that cell, no help. I've set the width of 150px on the list
    itself, now that has made a difference, but the cell is still massive
    Paul Watt, Jul 8, 2005
  6. Paul Watt

    kchayka Guest

    Paul Watt wrote:

    > in IE it makes the cell width massive and I cant
    > figure out why. The url is www.dunmowkarate.co.uk/newkarate/index.htm

    You can probably debug this yourself by commenting out the "width"
    properties/attributes, one at a time, and reloading the page after each.
    Eventually, you should find the culprit. Start with the CSS file.

    And do validate your HTML and CSS first to make sure a syntax error is
    not the cuase.

    kchayka, Jul 8, 2005
  7. Paul Watt

    George King Guest

    "Paul Watt" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I'm trying to build a menu out of an unordered list and CSS. It works
    > fine in Firefox, But in IE it makes the cell width massive and I cant
    > figure out why. The url is www.dunmowkarate.co.uk/newkarate/index.htm
    >
    > Thanks in Advance
    >
    > Paul

    It looks fine in IE 6.0 - hi-res or low.

    George
    George King, Jul 8, 2005
  8. Paul Watt

    GreyWyvern Guest

    And lo, Paul Watt didst speak in alt.html,alt.www.webmaster:

    > Hi,

    Greetings.

    > I'm trying to build a menu out of an unordered list and CSS. It works
    > fine in Firefox, But in IE it makes the cell width massive and I cant
    > figure out why. The url is www.dunmowkarate.co.uk/newkarate/index.htm

    In your stylesheet, in the rule: "ul#mainnav li a:link, ul#mainnav li
    a:visited {" change the percent value in the padding property from "6%" to
    "5px".

    Padding the width with percentages is confusing IE, especially since you
    are using a table layout. I recommend dumping the table since you will
    always be dealing with silly quirks like these if you don't.

    > Thanks in Advance

    No probalo.

    Grey

    --
    The technical axiom that nothing is impossible sinisterly implies the
    pitfall corollary that nothing is ridiculous.
    GreyWyvern, Jul 8, 2005
  9. Paul Watt

    Paul Watt Guest

    "GreyWyvern" <> wrote in message
    > And lo, Paul Watt didst speak in alt.html,alt.www.webmaster:
    >
    >> Hi,

    > Greetings.
    >
    >> I'm trying to build a menu out of an unordered list and CSS. It works
    >> fine in Firefox, But in IE it makes the cell width massive and I cant
    >> figure out why. The url is www.dunmowkarate.co.uk/newkarate/index.htm

    > In your stylesheet, in the rule: "ul#mainnav li a:link, ul#mainnav li
    > a:visited {" change the percent value in the padding property from "6%" to
    > "5px".
    >
    > Padding the width with percentages is confusing IE, especially since you
    > are using a table layout. I recommend dumping the table since you will
    > always be dealing with silly quirks like these if you don't.
    >
    >> Thanks in Advance

    > No probalo.
    >
    > Grey
    >
    > --
    > The technical axiom that nothing is impossible sinisterly implies the
    > pitfall corollary that nothing is ridiculous.
    > - http://www.greywyvern.com/ringmaker - Orca Ringmaker: Host a web ring
    > from your website!

    Hey Grey,

    Thanks for that, i narrowed it down to that css class but couldnt see what
    was wrong with it! IE eh? what a pain in the backside!

    cheers again

    Paul
    Paul Watt, Jul 8, 2005