    2005?
    AFAIK, M$ declares that previous data objects are still at the basis
    of the new data model, and in my situation?

    S.Tedeschi, Jun 7, 2007

  2. S.Tedeschi

    S.Tedeschi Guest

    On 7 Giu, 09:34, "S.Tedeschi" <> wrote:
    > Hi all gurus.
    > I'm trying to switch to VS 2005, from VS 2003. I've an ASP.NET 1.1 app
    > heavily relying on StronglyTyped DataSets, with lots of FindByKey...,dataSet.Tablename, and similar methods. Converting to ASP.NET 2.0
    > leaves dataSets' classes unconverted, as stated by M$; what's worse,
    > I'm not able to use converted dataSets, nor new ones, but just non-
    > typed dataSets declared directly in pages (or code-behind), and so I'm
    > not allowed to use a lot of methods and tables tied to dataSets. As a
    > cherry on the pie, DataSets are greyed in all-view Tools (and not
    > visible without all-view).
    > Is it a standard behaviour or there's something messed up in my VS
    > 2005?
    > AFAIK, M$ declares that previous data objects are still at the basis
    > of the new data model, and in my situation?

    A little sharpening: actually, a can drop a dataSet into "Component
    Designer", but I can't find any DataSet class. I guess VS2005 is no
    more able to auto-generate classes from a DataSet, a normal operation
    for VS2003.
    Is still DataSet model a good way for ops or should I swith to
    TableAdapers-only environment?

    S.Tedeschi, Jun 7, 2007

  3. Ysgrifennodd S.Tedeschi:
    > Hi all gurus.
    > I'm trying to switch to VS 2005, from VS 2003. I've an ASP.NET 1.1 app
    > heavily relying on StronglyTyped DataSets, with lots of FindByKey...,
    > dataSet.Tablename, and similar methods. Converting to ASP.NET 2.0
    > leaves dataSets' classes unconverted, as stated by M$; what's worse,
    > I'm not able to use converted dataSets, nor new ones, but just non-
    > typed dataSets declared directly in pages (or code-behind), and so I'm
    > not allowed to use a lot of methods and tables tied to dataSets. As a
    > cherry on the pie, DataSets are greyed in all-view Tools (and not
    > visible without all-view).
    > Is it a standard behaviour or there's something messed up in my VS
    > 2005?
    > AFAIK, M$ declares that previous data objects are still at the basis
    > of the new data model, and in my situation?

    Strongly typed DataSets are much changed - and, in my opinion, much
    improved - in .NET 2.0. I've never tried to convert, so it may be that
    you have to do so by hand. If you do, it might be a nuisance, but it
    shouldn't take long and will, at least, get you up to speed on .NET 2.0
    DataSets.

    If it would help, I have some documentation I did for our developers at
    work along with a sample application, which I'd be happy to let you
    have. Just contact me off-list at
    p[dot]bradley[at]dsl[dot]pipex[dot]com, and I'll send it to you.

    Cheers

    Peter

    Peter Bradley, Jun 7, 2007