Struts and XHTML strict doctype

Discussion in 'Java' started by John, Jan 13, 2008.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hi all,
    I have to create a front-end for our new intrAnet application. Since
    it's completely new I've chosen to use Struts.

    This are the restriction given by our Company:

    JDK 1.4.2
    J2EE 1.4
    Struts 1.1
    Browser compatibility: IE 6 + eventually IE 7
    Productive platform OS: Solaris 10

    Does any of you know if there is some incompatibility choosing to
    develop the JSPs with Struts 1.1 and declaring the pages with XHTML
    Strict Doctype?
    If there is some incompatibility or maybe risk, which doctype would be
    the better one?

    Thank you very much for your hint guys,
    John

    John, Jan 13, 2008

  2. John

    Lew Guest

    John wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I have to create a front-end for our new intrAnet application. Since
    > it's completely new I've chosen to use Struts.
    >
    > This are the restriction given by our Company:
    >
    > JDK 1.4.2

    Java 1.4.2 already entered its End-of-Life process over a year ago, and will
    be retired outright this summer - be aware.
    <http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/index.jsp>

    Besides, you miss out on all the lovely enhancements that came in with Java 5.

    Even the not-current Java 5 is already three-plus years old. Even that is due
    to enter End-of-Life this summer if Sun follows its standard process.

    > J2EE 1.4
    > Struts 1.1

    The current version of Struts 1.x is 1.3. v1.1 is pretty far behind the front
    edge.

    > Browser compatibility: IE 6 + eventually IE 7
    > Productive platform OS: Solaris 10
    >
    > Does any of you know if there is some incompatibility choosing to
    > develop the JSPs with Struts 1.1 and declaring the pages with XHTML
    > Strict Doctype?

    There should be no trouble whatsoever, other than Struts 1.1 being itself an
    old version.

    > If there is some incompatibility or maybe risk, which doctype would be
    > the better one?

    Your problem will not be DOCTYPE but more likely using obsolescent, possibly
    unpatched versions of software. If you absolutely, positively must use Java
    1.4.2, at least make sure you're patched through the latest version
    sub-release to ensure you don't have security vulnerabilities. (Update 16 is
    the current sub-release.)

    <http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/javase/security_adv/index.html>

    --
    Lew