struts vs tapestry

nish

I am considering to choose between struts and tapestry for migrating
from a php web project ...

Would be interested in knowing what ppl on this group think would be
better out of the two.?

thanks
nishant

ozgwei

I don't know much about Tapestry.

But many people I have talked to don't recommend to use Struts for new
development. Spring MVC is a better alternative than Struts.

nish

Thanks for the suggestions. I have made my decision and Tapestry wins.

My reasons for anyone interested:

1. ROR is something i thot about .. but my web app needs to take
advantage of a lot of existing libraries which are hard to come by in
ROR. So, inspite of the fact that ROR might be technically superior, i
think lack of the entire gamut of libraries that java support is a big
hindrance. (and probably why ROR is more suited to the popular web 2.0
kinda stuff which typciall develop everything from scratch..as most of
it is just js)
2. The only thing holding me back on tapestry was the lack of nice urls
... which i found out was done in version 4...so good on that front.
3. Another good thing about tapestry is that it enables edition of html
pages in wysiwig mode, unlike struts.

Ike

Nish,

I think you should reconsider -- you can use JRuby to take advantage of
those libraries. Using JRuby gives you the ease of web-implementation of
Ruby, and the muscle of the JVM, and the legacy code accumualted for
it. -Ike