    the 18th larger and a different color.

    If you want, I'll post the code. But I'll spare you if you wish.

    Thanks in advance.
    rincewind, Apr 19, 2009

  2. On 2009-04-19, rincewind wrote:
    > I'm toying around with hand coding HTML.
    >
    > As far as I can tell, I've got all the code right. I've saved the word
    > processing file twice, once as a word processing file and once as a
    > web page file.

    If you are entering HTML code in a word processor, save it as a
    plain text file.

    Author:
    Chris F.A. Johnson, Apr 19, 2009

  3. rincewind

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    rincewind <> wrote:

    > I'm toying around with hand coding HTML.
    >
    > As far as I can tell, I've got all the code right. I've saved the word
    > processing file twice, once as a word processing file and once as a
    > web page file. When I try to use Firefox to open the web page file
    > (called "index.html") I get all the text exactly as the word
    > processing file left it.
    >
    > In other words, the code is showing up as text instead of showing up
    > as, well commands (boxes, bold, text color, etc.)
    >
    > It's a short piece, it's supposed to make a calendar for November with
    > the 18th larger and a different color.
    >
    > If you want, I'll post the code. But I'll spare you if you wish.

    No, please don't post a URL or anything like that. We like to guess here
    and if you start doing this sort of thing, we lose skills carefully
    honed for years.

    Open notebook, and paste the markup into it. Save as test.html and then
    open up in FF and report back.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Apr 19, 2009
  4. On Apr 18, 9:00 pm, rincewind <> wrote:
    > I'm toying around with hand coding HTML.

    Damn, your right. that is a stupid question

    > Thanks in advance.

    No problem
    Travis Newbury, Apr 19, 2009
  5. On Apr 18, 9:00 pm, rincewind <> wrote:
    > I'm toying around with hand coding HTML.

    Ok, here is the real answer. Go to Adobe.com and download the demo
    version of dreamweaver, make the page. If this is the last time you
    will ever make a page, then you are all set. Life is good, and the
    world is round.

    On the other hand, if you plan on donig this a lot (making web pages,
    not asking stupid questions) then I would advise you to take a day or
    two and study HTML. http://www.w3schools.com/ is a perfectly good
    place to start. Some here will say they have some bad information,
    but I believe it is an easy to use site that for the most part gives
    you a good overview and has a lot of examples for you.

    > Thanks in advance.

    No problem. Oh, take a week and just watch this group. You will
    quickly catch on to who is giving good advice (like me). And of
    couse, like all USNET groups, you may n eed a thick skin to survive.
    Enjoy, and remember FLASH is your friend...
    Travis Newbury, Apr 19, 2009
  6. rincewind

    richard Guest

    On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 18:00:02 -0700 (PDT), rincewind
    <> wrote:

    >I'm toying around with hand coding HTML.
    >
    >As far as I can tell, I've got all the code right. I've saved the word
    >processing file twice, once as a word processing file and once as a
    >web page file. When I try to use Firefox to open the web page file
    >(called "index.html") I get all the text exactly as the word
    >processing file left it.
    >
    >In other words, the code is showing up as text instead of showing up
    >as, well commands (boxes, bold, text color, etc.)
    >
    >It's a short piece, it's supposed to make a calendar for November with
    >the 18th larger and a different color.
    >
    >If you want, I'll post the code. But I'll spare you if you wish.
    >

    >Thanks in advance.

    Why do people insist on using word processors for the creation of web
    pages?
    Any simple plain text editor will do better.
    I use note tab light some times as it has plenty of offline resources
    to help with.
    As does acehtml.

    IOW, use the proper tool for the job.
    richard, Apr 19, 2009
  7. On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 18:00:02 -0700 (PDT), rincewind
    <> wrote:

    >I'm toying around with hand coding HTML.
    >
    >As far as I can tell, I've got all the code right. I've saved the word
    >processing file twice, once as a word processing file and once as a
    >web page file.

    This is not an hand-coding html ..use notepad(or pfe) - and html
    tutorials ...
    Raymond Schmit, Apr 19, 2009
  8. richard wrote:

    > Why do people insist on using word processors for the creation of web
    > pages?
    > Any simple plain text editor will do better.

    Actually I would encourage most to use them for the very restricted role
    of *composition*. The advanced spell checker and grammar checkers of
    word processors could certainty improve many sites out there. But again,
    *only* for *composition* of the content text...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Apr 19, 2009
  9. rincewind

    rincewind Guest

    On Apr 18, 9:08 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >

    >  rincewind <> wrote:
    > > I'm toying around with hand coding HTML.

    > > As far as I can tell, I've got all the code right. I've saved the word
    > > processing file twice, once as a word processing file and once as a
    > > web page file. When I try to use Firefox to open the web page file
    > > (called "index.html") I get all the text exactly as the word
    > > processing file left it.

    > > In other words, the code is showing up as text instead of showing up
    > > as, well commands (boxes, bold, text color, etc.)

    > > It's a short piece, it's supposed to make a calendar for November with
    > > the 18th larger and a different color.

    > > If you want, I'll post the code. But I'll spare you if you wish.

    > No, please don't post a URL or anything like that. We like to guess here
    > and if you start doing this sort of thing, we lose skills carefully
    > honed for years.
    >
    > Open notebook, and paste the markup into it. Save as test.html and then
    > open up in FF and report back.

    I've saved it on my hard drive twice. Once as a plain text file and
    once as a "web page." Neither one will open properly in FF.
    rincewind, Apr 19, 2009
  10. rincewind

    rincewind Guest

    On Apr 18, 9:29 pm, Travis Newbury <> wrote:
    > On Apr 18, 9:00 pm, rincewind <> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm toying around with hand coding HTML.

    > Ok, here is the real answer.  Go to Adobe.com and download the demo
    > version of dreamweaver, make the page.  If this is the last time you
    > will ever make a page, then you are all set.  Life is good, and the
    > world is round.
    >
    > On the other hand, if you plan on donig this a lot (making web pages,
    > not asking stupid questions)

    I think I'm capable of doing both, thank you!

     then I would advise you to take a day or
    > two and study HTML.  http://www.w3schools.com/is a perfectly good
    > place to start.

    I got several books out of the library and took notes. As far as I can
    tell, there's nothing wrong with the coding, it just won't "activate."

     Some here will say they have some bad information,
    > but I believe it is an easy to use site that for the most part gives
    > you a good overview and has a lot of examples for you.

    I'll give it a look. But if they tell me about tags and whatnot,
    that's not going to help.

    > > Thanks in advance.

    > No problem.  Oh, take a week and just watch this group.  You will
    > quickly catch on to who is giving good advice (like me).  And of
    > couse, like all USNET groups, you may n eed a thick skin to survive.

    Dude, I post on alt.conspiracy. This place holds no terrors for me.
    rincewind, Apr 19, 2009
  11. rincewind

    rincewind Guest

    On Apr 18, 10:19 pm, richard <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 18:00:02 -0700 (PDT), rincewind
    >

    > <> wrote:
    > >I'm toying around with hand coding HTML.

    > >As far as I can tell, I've got all the code right. I've saved the word
    > >processing file twice, once as a word processing file and once as a
    > >web page file. When I try to use Firefox to open the web page file
    > >(called "index.html") I get all the text exactly as the word
    > >processing file left it.

    > >In other words, the code is showing up as text instead of showing up
    > >as, well commands (boxes, bold, text color, etc.)

    > >It's a short piece, it's supposed to make a calendar for November with
    > >the 18th larger and a different color.

    > >If you want, I'll post the code. But I'll spare you if you wish.

    > >Thanks in advance.

    > Why do people insist on using word processors for the creation of web
    > pages?
    > Any simple plain text editor will do better.
    > I use note tab light some times as it has plenty of offline resources
    > to help with.
    > As does acehtml.
    >
    > IOW, use the proper tool for the job.

    So, would "notepad" or "wordpad" do better?
    rincewind, Apr 19, 2009
  12. rincewind

    rincewind Guest

    On Apr 19, 4:57 am, (Raymond Schmit) wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 18:00:02 -0700 (PDT), rincewind
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > >I'm toying around with hand coding HTML.

    > >As far as I can tell, I've got all the code right. I've saved the word
    > >processing file twice, once as a word processing file and once as a
    > >web page file.

    > This is not an hand-coding html  ..use notepad(or pfe)  - and html
    > tutorials ...

    That seems to be the general consensus.

    Thanks to everyone who came up with that idea. I'll give it a try and
    see what happens.

    You are all right, of course. I didn't stop to think that MS Word
    would had formatting codes that would cancel out the ability to run as
    a web page!
    rincewind, Apr 19, 2009
  13. rincewind

    rincewind Guest

    > You are all right, of course. I didn't stop to think that MS Word
    > would had formatting codes that would cancel out the ability to run as
    > a web page!

    YAY! It worked!

    OK. I feel better. (I still feel stupid that I didn't realize there
    was such a difference between MS Word and note pad.)

    So! Any more experiments I do will be done on notepad!

    A virtual round for the house!
    rincewind, Apr 19, 2009
  14. rincewind

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    rincewind <> wrote:

    > > You are all right, of course. I didn't stop to think that MS Word
    > > would had formatting codes that would cancel out the ability to run as
    > > a web page!

    > YAY! It worked!
    >
    > OK. I feel better. (I still feel stupid that I didn't realize there
    > was such a difference between MS Word and note pad.)
    >
    > So! Any more experiments I do will be done on notepad!
    >
    > A virtual round for the house!

    I have never been able to format things with my Notepad on my Windows
    box (which remains a sort of mystery to me) but I find Wordpad is
    brilliant.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Apr 19, 2009
  15. rincewind

    Ari Heino Guest

    rincewind kirjoitti seuraavasti:
    > So, would "notepad" or "wordpad" do better?

    Yes, but you can do better: get an editor with syntax highlighting, such
    as Notepad++ (Google). There are many of them.

    --
    Ari
    http://users.utu.fi/athein/
    Ari Heino, Apr 19, 2009
  16. rincewind

    rincewind Guest

    On Apr 19, 1:04 pm, Ari Heino <> wrote:
    > rincewind kirjoitti seuraavasti:
    >
    > > So, would "notepad" or "wordpad" do better?

    > Yes, but you can do better: get an editor with syntax highlighting, such
    > as Notepad++ (Google). There are many of them.
    >
    > --
    > Arihttp://users.utu.fi/athein/

    Yeah, but I'm just trying to play around right now and I'm just using
    what I already have.
    rincewind, Apr 19, 2009
  17. rincewind schrieb:>
    > I've saved it on my hard drive twice. Once as a plain text file and
    > once as a "web page." Neither one will open properly in FF.

    Does "plain text file" mean a simple text-file or a file in the format
    of your word-processor?

    An, as already said, it would be *very* usefull to upload your files and
    provide an URL...
    Johannes Hafner, Apr 19, 2009
  18. Johannes Hafner schrieb:
    > rincewind schrieb:>
    >> I've saved it on my hard drive twice. Once as a plain text file and
    >> once as a "web page." Neither one will open properly in FF.

    > Does "plain text file" mean a simple text-file or a file in the format
    > of your word-processor?
    >
    > An, as already said, it would be *very* usefull to upload your files and
    > provide an URL...

    ok, sorry, forget about it, I just read you already got it.
    Should*really* read all the answers first an post afterwards... forgive
    me ;)
    Johannes Hafner, Apr 19, 2009
  19. On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 08:32:39 -0700 (PDT), rincewind
    <> wrote:

    >On Apr 19, 4:57 am, (Raymond Schmit) wrote:
    >> On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 18:00:02 -0700 (PDT), rincewind
    >>
    >> <> wrote:
    >> >I'm toying around with hand coding HTML.

    >> >As far as I can tell, I've got all the code right. I've saved the word
    >> >processing file twice, once as a word processing file and once as a
    >> >web page file.

    >> This is not an hand-coding html  ..use notepad(or pfe)  - and html
    >> tutorials ...

    >That seems to be the general consensus.
    >
    >Thanks to everyone who came up with that idea. I'll give it a try and
    >see what happens.
    >
    >You are all right, of course. I didn't stop to think that MS Word
    >would had formatting codes that would cancel out the ability to run as
    >a web page!

    I must confess that i had used MS-WORD saving as "Web-Page Filtered"
    (filtered is the magic word to mimimize a lot of not-needed stuff)
    In fact the origin was a word document i received to publish.
    I create another word document and do some copy/paste ... in fact i
    created a simple document with the minimum info and the minimum
    formatting . This is this document that i saved as "Web-Page
    Filtered".
    Then i used notepad to modify this page adding link, e-mail-link,
    navigation link, some colors, etc....
    Raymond Schmit, Apr 19, 2009
  20. On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 20:04:52 +0300, Ari Heino <>
    wrote:

    >rincewind kirjoitti seuraavasti:
    >> So, would "notepad" or "wordpad" do better?

    >Yes, but you can do better: get an editor with syntax highlighting, such
    >as Notepad++ (Google). There are many of them.

    Notepad++ have a nice feature that i used: You can do a replace all
    the strings "AAAAblablaAAA" by the strings "AAAAblubluAAA" on all the
    selected files in one click.
    Raymond Schmit, Apr 19, 2009