'Sub' asp.net website

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Alan Moseley, Mar 16, 2009.

  1. Alan Moseley

    Alan Moseley Guest

    Hi, I hope someone can point me in the right general direction.

    Fed up of reinventing the wheel, I have written an asp.net website which
    allows my end-users to add/edit/delete their own
    pages/departments/products/logins etc. etc. ie more-or-less a content
    management system. However I now have a customer who wants to do all of the
    above plus something that will only ever be specific to them. I don't want
    to take a copy of my website code and then add the bespoke to it and
    recompile etc. I would rather that I could put a compiled copy of my
    application into a new website, then write some separate code for the bespoke
    bit. This way I can update the core system once and it would update both.

    Firstly is this possible? And secondly, if it is possible where might I find
    some documentation or pointers?

    Thanks in advance.
    --
    Alan Moseley IT Consultancy
    http://www.amitc.co.uk

    If I have solved your problem, please click Yes below. Thanks.
    Alan Moseley, Mar 16, 2009

  2. Alan Moseley

    Bob Barrows Guest

    Alan Moseley wrote:
    > Hi, I hope someone can point me in the right general direction.
    >
    > Fed up of reinventing the wheel, I have written an asp.net website

    recommended practice), but this is a classic (COM-based) asp newsgroup.
    ASP.Net is a different technology from classic ASP. While you may be
    lucky enough to find a dotnet-savvy person here who can answer your
    question, you can eliminate the luck factor by posting your question to
    a newsgroup where the dotnet-savvy people hang out. I suggest

    to help you.

    > which allows my end-users to add/edit/delete their own
    > pages/departments/products/logins etc. etc. ie more-or-less a content
    > management system. However I now have a customer who wants to do all
    > of the above plus something that will only ever be specific to them.
    > I don't want to take a copy of my website code and then add the
    > bespoke to it and recompile etc. I would rather that I could put a
    > compiled copy of my application into a new website, then write some
    > separate code for the bespoke bit. This way I can update the core
    > system once and it would update both.
    >
    > Firstly is this possible? And secondly, if it is possible where might
    > I find some documentation or pointers?

    It sounds possible. The only drawback I see is the need to replace the
    compiled version every time you edit its source. You might consider
    encapsulating the duplicated functionality in a class library.

    --
    HTH,
    Bob Barrows
    Bob Barrows, Mar 16, 2009

  3. Alan Moseley

    Alan Moseley Guest

    I do apologise. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

    Alan Moseley, Mar 16, 2009