sub domains

Ghostmaster

When setting up the pages that link together in a sub domain. Do the links
for some host have to be a certain case? Or in other words case sensitive?
I am setting up 57 pages all linked. I never have had that problem before.
It just seems that maybe there is a way for the page link not to be case
sensitive...is there? Or is this something that a Host will set up giving
the user no other option?

Titus A Ducksass

When setting up the pages that link together in a sub domain. Do the links
for some host have to be a certain case? Or in other words case sensitive?
I am setting up 57 pages all linked. I never have had that problem before.
It just seems that maybe there is a way for the page link not to be case
sensitive...is there? Or is this something that a Host will set up giving
the user no other option?

If your host is running unix/linux then all filenames are case
SeNsItIvE.................

Ghostmaster

: On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 07:44:42 GMT, "Ghostmaster" <[email protected]>
: wrote:
:
: >When setting up the pages that link together in a sub domain. Do the
links
: >for some host have to be a certain case? Or in other words case
sensitive?
: >I am setting up 57 pages all linked. I never have had that problem
before.
: >It just seems that maybe there is a way for the page link not to be case
: >sensitive...is there? Or is this something that a Host will set up
giving
: >the user no other option?
:
: If your host is running unix/linux then all filenames are case
: SeNsItIvE.................

Yes it is. darn it. Now I have to sort through 57 pages. Not to forget
the ones that haven't been uploaded yet. If anyone says this isn't hard
work, then they didn't know what they was doing, and probably did a lousy
job of it.

brucie

in post: <
Ghostmaster said:
Do the links for some host have to be a certain case?

scheme and host names are case insensitive. the rest may be case
sensitive. its always best to assume case and use lowercase characters.
It just seems that maybe there is a way for the page link not to be case
sensitive...is there?

configuring a server to ignore case is fixing the wrong problem. use
lowercase.

Hywel Jenkins

Ghostmaster said:
When setting up the pages that link together in a sub domain. Do the links
for some host have to be a certain case? Or in other words case sensitive?
I am setting up 57 pages all linked. I never have had that problem before.
It just seems that maybe there is a way for the page link not to be case
sensitive...is there? Or is this something that a Host will set up giving
the user no other option?

Depends on the server. If it's *nix-based, Myfile.htm is different
from myfile.htm. Whether your site is on a sub-domain is irrelevant.

Town Crier

: If your host is running unix/linux then all filenames are case
: SeNsItIvE.................

Yes it is. darn it. Now I have to sort through 57 pages. Not to forget
the ones that haven't been uploaded yet. If anyone says this isn't hard
work, then they didn't know what they was doing, and probably did a lousy
job of it.

For what it's worth, doing the work in dreamweaver or another wysiwyg
might make that job easier by caching the hyperlinks in the site and
then changing the links automatically as you rename your files.

Toby A Inkster

Hywel said:
Depends on the server. If it's *nix-based, Myfile.htm is different
from myfile.htm. Whether your site is on a sub-domain is irrelevant.

Well HTTP is case sensitive, so any server, no matter what OS, can be case
sensitive.

However, Apache for Unix/Linux in its *default* configuration is
case-sensitive, whereas IIS and Apache for Windows are case-insensitive.