    Learn what?, then what, then what, then what?

    Your advice welcome. I intend to carry this through. Greatly
    motivated.

    mitcheroo, Nov 27, 2005

  2. mitcheroo

    VisionSet Guest

    "mitcheroo" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I want to design an online multiplayer strategy game (not massively
    > multiplayer), but I know next to nothing about programming or coding.

    > Available hardware: a Dell Inspiron 6000 notebook, and a very nice one
    > at that.
    >
    > So -- what do I need to learn first? C++? Java? PHP?

    Since this is a Java newsgroup, you need to just learn Java.
    It is eminently suitable to your goal, in as far as you have elaborated.

    > Learn what?, then what, then what, then what?

    Get up to speed with route through basic programming from a Java
    perspective.
    Do not ignore references to Object Oriented approach.
    Get a decent lower level book, there are lots, someone will recommend. There
    is lots of dross too though!
    Do relevent sun tutorials http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/
    Read Bruce Eckels 'Thinking in Java' When your up to it - free online
    Buy Joshua Blochs 'Effective Java' and adhere to all points
    Study distributed system concepts and implement small solutions to
    concurrency and networking issues in Java.
    Above all concentrate on Object Oriented principles, preferably via a taught
    class.

    That last comment is most important.

    You have a tough task ahead.

    Better to set your goals lower initially though, if you are not patient,
    your system will be rubbish.

    --
    Mike W

    VisionSet, Nov 27, 2005

  3. mitcheroo

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 27 Nov 2005 08:17:19 -0800, "mitcheroo" <> wrote,

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/gettingstarted.html
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Nov 27, 2005
  4. mitcheroo

    zero Guest

    "mitcheroo" <> wrote in news:1133108239.268096.222480
    @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

    > I want to design an online multiplayer strategy game (not massively
    > multiplayer), but I know next to nothing about programming or coding.
    >
    > Graphics requirements will be more-or-less minimal. Game will be a
    > 1-turn-per-day to 4-turns-per-day. (Don't laugh -- based on an old
    > 1990's BBS dood that was very popular.) No 3D, just 2D with a static
    > zoomable map or maps, menus, pop-up menus or pop-up insets/images,
    > icons, symbols, buttons, battle algorithms...
    >
    > Available hardware: a Dell Inspiron 6000 notebook, and a very nice one
    > at that.
    >
    > So -- what do I need to learn first? C++? Java? PHP?
    >
    > Learn what?, then what, then what, then what?
    >
    > Your advice welcome. I intend to carry this through. Greatly
    > motivated.

    Well this is a Java group, so you'll see a lot of people telling you to
    use Java. And indeed, java is an option, but you'll need to learn *a
    lot* before you can take on this kind of project. You'd probably need a
    Swing application with network support for the client, as well as a
    server that stores information about each player.

    An easier approach might be PHP, but then you'll have to dumb down the
    graphics. There are several very good PHP-based sites out there that
    give turn-based games (chess, scrabble, go, ...) - but of course those
    graphics are all static.

    C++ is not something I'd pick for this, mainly because you'll need a lot
    of libraries that simply are not part of standard C++. Meaning you'd
    first have to learn C++, then find (or create!) the appropriate
    libraries, and use them correctly.

    For someone experienced in programming a project like this would take
    some time. For someone without any experience at all, it would take a
    very long time. You could see this as a long term project, and in the
    mean time tackle some smaller projects, which will help you learn and get
    closer to your ultimate goal.

    --
    Beware the False Authority Syndrome

    zero, Nov 27, 2005
  5. mitcheroo

    Alun Harford Guest

    "mitcheroo" <> wrote in message
    > I want to design an online multiplayer strategy game (not massively
    > multiplayer), but I know next to nothing about programming or coding.
    >
    > Graphics requirements will be more-or-less minimal. Game will be a
    > 1-turn-per-day to 4-turns-per-day. (Don't laugh -- based on an old
    > 1990's BBS dood that was very popular.) No 3D, just 2D with a static
    > zoomable map or maps, menus, pop-up menus or pop-up insets/images,
    > icons, symbols, buttons, battle algorithms...
    >
    > Available hardware: a Dell Inspiron 6000 notebook, and a very nice one
    > at that.
    >
    > So -- what do I need to learn first? C++? Java? PHP?
    >
    > Learn what?, then what, then what, then what?

    First, you'll need to learn how to program.
    Then, you'll need to learn the basics of networking.
    Then you need to learn Java (you could use another language but you asked in
    a Java group).

    Then you'll need to actually write it.
    Before you start, you should realise that this will probably consume a large
    part of your life for the next two years or so. Having said that, have fun
    with it! (and good luck!)

    Alun Harford

    Alun Harford, Nov 28, 2005
  6. mitcheroo

    David Segall Guest

    "mitcheroo" <> wrote:

    >I want to design an online multiplayer strategy game (not massively
    >multiplayer), but I know next to nothing about programming or coding.
    >
    >Graphics requirements will be more-or-less minimal. Game will be a
    >1-turn-per-day to 4-turns-per-day. (Don't laugh -- based on an old
    >1990's BBS dood that was very popular.) No 3D, just 2D with a static
    >zoomable map or maps, menus, pop-up menus or pop-up insets/images,
    >icons, symbols, buttons, battle algorithms...
    >
    >Available hardware: a Dell Inspiron 6000 notebook, and a very nice one
    >at that.
    >
    >So -- what do I need to learn first? C++? Java? PHP?

    None of the above. Microsoft have a suite of products aimed at
    encouraging you to start programming
    <http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/>. If the players are going
    to use their own PC and play your game on a central server computer by
    using a browser (Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera etc) choose Visual
    Web Developer 2005 Express Edition. Sun have a similar product called
    Java Studio Creator
    <http://developers.sun.com/prodtech/javatools/jscreator/ea/jsc2/downloads/index.html>.

    Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition includes Visual Basic (the easiest
    way to get started) and Visual J++ ( if you want to continue with
    Java). Either of these will require that you develop your own method
    of communicating with the other players.

    >Learn what?, then what, then what, then what?

    Before you start you need to ensure that you can provide a server
    computer. The computer needs to be accessed by a URL that you supply
    and it needs to have the software required by the tool you choose on
    it. If you choose one of the above development tools you can follow
    their tutorials to get started. Then you can post your questions to
    the appropriate news group - it is unlikely to be this one. :)

    David Segall, Nov 28, 2005
  7. mitcheroo

    Oliver Wong Guest

    "David Segall" <> wrote in message
    > "mitcheroo" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I want to design an online multiplayer strategy game (not massively
    >>multiplayer), but I know next to nothing about programming or coding.
    >>
    >>Graphics requirements will be more-or-less minimal. Game will be a
    >>1-turn-per-day to 4-turns-per-day. (Don't laugh -- based on an old
    >>1990's BBS dood that was very popular.) No 3D, just 2D with a static
    >>zoomable map or maps, menus, pop-up menus or pop-up insets/images,
    >>icons, symbols, buttons, battle algorithms...
    >>
    >>Available hardware: a Dell Inspiron 6000 notebook, and a very nice one
    >>at that.
    >>
    >>So -- what do I need to learn first? C++? Java? PHP?

    > None of the above. Microsoft have a suite of products aimed at
    > encouraging you to start programming
    > <http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/>. If the players are going
    > to use their own PC and play your game on a central server computer by
    > using a browser (Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera etc) choose Visual
    > Web Developer 2005 Express Edition. Sun have a similar product called
    > Java Studio Creator
    > <http://developers.sun.com/prodtech/javatools/jscreator/ea/jsc2/downloads/index.html>.
    >
    > Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition includes Visual Basic (the easiest
    > way to get started) and Visual J++ ( if you want to continue with
    > Java). Either of these will require that you develop your own method
    > of communicating with the other players.

    Actually, if it's based on BBS doors, I'd write it in PHP (as opposed to
    C++ or Java), as you avoid learning anything about sockets or network
    programming, and just let your webserver deal with that. You only have to
    write the game logic (and presentation). Alternatively, you could write it
    in JSP or ASP.NET.

    Visual Studio, mentioned above, can be used to develop ASP.NET web
    applications.

    > Before you start you need to ensure that you can provide a server
    > computer. The computer needs to be accessed by a URL that you supply
    > and it needs to have the software required by the tool you choose on
    > it.

    While developping, you could run the server and the client on your own
    computer. If it's written in PHP and you're willing to make it open source,
    you can host your server on Sourceforge for free (they provide webspace, PHP
    processing and a database for open source projects). Otherwise you'll either
    want to buy a computer to act as a dedicated server or pay a hosting company
    to host your game for you.

    > If you choose one of the above development tools you can follow
    > their tutorials to get started. Then you can post your questions to
    > the appropriate news group - it is unlikely to be this one. :)

    If, for some reason, you want to stick with this newsgroup, you'll have
    to use JSP or Java, as those are the languages which are "on topic" here.

    - Oliver

    Oliver Wong, Nov 28, 2005