    towards texts which specifically address Python. By network
    programming, I mean fundamental understanding of sockets, TCP/UDP,
    right up to HTTP serving, etc. Thanks ahead of time.
    Benoit, Dec 15, 2007

  2. Benoit

    Thin Myrna Guest

    Benoit wrote:
    > I got myself into programming late in the summer and have dabbled in
    > python for the most part in that time, recently beginning work on a
    > music player. In January, I start my minor in Information
    > Technology. I'd like to get ahead a bit, however, and over the break
    > would like to do some reading. I seek your recommendations in the
    > field of database design basics and network programming, with a bias
    > towards texts which specifically address Python. By network
    > programming, I mean fundamental understanding of sockets, TCP/UDP,
    > right up to HTTP serving, etc. Thanks ahead of time.

    Steve Holden's Python Web Programming might be what you are looking for.
    It covers all the topics needed to deal with sockets, databases, up to
    building complete web apps. One of my books I'd never give away.

    HTH
    Thin
    Thin Myrna, Dec 16, 2007

  3. Benoit

    scripteaze Guest

    On Dec 16, 1:47 am, Thin Myrna <> wrote:
    > Benoit wrote:
    > > I got myself into programming late in the summer and have dabbled in
    > > python for the most part in that time, recently beginning work on a
    > > music player. In January, I start my minor in Information
    > > Technology. I'd like to get ahead a bit, however, and over the break
    > > would like to do some reading. I seek your recommendations in the
    > > field of database design basics and network programming, with a bias
    > > towards texts which specifically address Python. By network
    > > programming, I mean fundamental understanding of sockets, TCP/UDP,
    > > right up to HTTP serving, etc. Thanks ahead of time.

    > Steve Holden's Python Web Programming might be what you are looking for.
    > It covers all the topics needed to deal with sockets, databases, up to
    > building complete web apps. One of my books I'd never give away.
    >
    > HTH
    > Thin

    urls
    http://docs.python.org/lib/module-socket.html
    http://www.amk.ca/python/howto/sockets/
    http://www.devshed.com/c/a/Python/Sockets-in-Python/

    books
    http://www.amazon.com/Foundations-Python-Network-Programming/dp/1590593715

    you might also want to read up on twisted, (just for the heck of it)
    http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/
    scripteaze, Dec 16, 2007