Suggestions for refactoring database driven web app?

robert.t.davis

I've inherited a somewhat poorly designed web application, written 100%
in JSPs. As a first step, I've pulled out much of the business logic
into it's own layer and added some unit tests. It's much cleaner, but
still has a way to go. If I continue down this path, I'll likely start
using Hibernate or EJBs for persistence & transactions and maybe Struts
2 for MVC.

It feels like a fairly typical DB driven web application and I'm
wondering if there is an easier approach, perhaps using some open
source project I haven't heard of? Essentially, the app stores
versioned records and has simple security with users/groups either
having NONE, VIEW, or EDIT permissions on the records.

A couple of developers on the team are relatively new to Java, so
anything to keep this simple is good. I thought about something like
Java Studio Creator, but seems like it has a bit of a learning curve
itself.

I'd appreciate any suggestions or thoughts!

Thanks,

Robert