    What recommendations/suggestions?
    Thanks
    PS - Using a Linux based host

    ©®, Mar 7, 2006

  2. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "©®" <>
    writing in news:D:

    > I know you can use Google to add a "search my own site" to a website,
    > but was wondering, is there a free, ads-free way to add a search box to
    > a personal website?
    > What recommendations/suggestions?
    > Thanks
    > PS - Using a Linux based host

    It depends on what you want to search. If you can put stuff into a db,
    then you can search that pretty easily. For example, the site I am
    developing for my church has all the page content in a db, so the whole
    site can be searched. They have Access and ASP available, so I am
    developing in that, but MySQL and PHP would be just as easy.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

    Adrienne Boswell, Mar 7, 2006

  3. ©®

    ©® Guest

    "Adrienne Boswell" <> wrote > It depends on what
    you want to search.

    I just want to have people be able to search my website for any word or
    phrase they are looking for. Nothing fancy at all! Just thought it would
    be nice to not have to use a proprietary one.
    Any ideas?

    ©®, Mar 7, 2006
  4. ©®

    John Corliss Guest

    ©® wrote:
    > I know you can use Google to add a "search my own site" to a website,
    > but was wondering, is there a free, ads-free way to add a search box to
    > a personal website?
    > What recommendations/suggestions?
    > Thanks
    > PS - Using a Linux based host

    I'm sure somebody here might be helpful, but you will get a better
    answer if you post to one of the following newsgroups:

    alt.html
    comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html
    alt.www.webmaster

    HTH and good luck.

    --
    Regards from John Corliss
    I don't reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett or Doc, for instance. No

    John Corliss, Mar 7, 2006
  5. ©®

    Craig Guest

    ©® wrote:
    > "Adrienne Boswell" <> wrote > It depends on what
    > you want to search.
    >
    > I just want to have people be able to search my website for any word or
    > phrase they are looking for. Nothing fancy at all! Just thought it would
    > be nice to not have to use a proprietary one.
    > Any ideas?

    If your site is a small collection of pages...(~500Kb) you could use a
    cgi script. The trick is finding a *free* one that can do recursive
    searches. (Sorry, no definitive linkies).

    If your site is bigger (or you don't want to mess w/cgi scripts) you can
    invite Google into your home (http://www.google.com/searchcode.html).
    Or, as I've mentioned before, Scroogle will give you scraped google
    searches (http://www.scroogle.org/masters.html).

    hth,
    -Craig

    Craig, Mar 7, 2006