suidperl and libperl.so

Skeleton Man

Hi,

I realise this group is targeted more at the language itself that anything,
but I have been tearing my hair out over this issue.. whenever I try to run
any CGI script setuid, I get this (non-setuid is fine):

/usr/bin/perl: error while loading shared libraries: libperl.so: cannot open

This makes absolutely no sense, because libperl.so is there, and setuid
scripts work fine from the command line..
libperl.so is located here:
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/CORE/libperl.so

I have tried the following: adding that path to /etc/ld.so.conf, adding it
to an env variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and symlinking it in /usr/lib and
/usr/local/lib.. none of these have worked..

Any suggestions ?

Regards,
Chris