Summer holiday work experience

Ftse Daytrader

A computer science student with Java programming knowledge is required
to assist with Java programming over the summer holidays. Most likely,
weekends.

You need experience in the ff:

SWING (excellent), good user interface design
Java threads (excellent)
Java 2 API (excellent)
J2EE and EJB (excellent)
C/C++ (excellent)

It will be helpful

Now some background about me. I run a small hedge fund, which I run from
home. I have written some C/C++ code for trading, which I want
converted into a Java application. Unfortunately, I do not have the time
to carry out the 'port' myself. Thus creates the chance in the lifetime
for you to gain industry insight and to learn from someone actually
doing it, not just talking about it.

What's the catch?. (there's always a catch - there is no free lunch in
the financial markets)

1). Due to the proprietary nature of the work, you will be asked to sign
a Non-Disclosure form and work at my premises (my house)

2). There will be no monetary compensation - the compensation you will
receive are:
(i) Valuable work experience relating to the financial markets
(ii) An insight into how trading works and how to make money from
the markets

3). I am based in London - so, you have to be within travelling distance
of London

Notes:

(a) A brainbench certification is useful to help sort the chaff from the
weed
(b) An coding experience with AI will be an added advantage

Interested respondents should send brief biography/CV to the correctly
formed address given in the 'mangled' email address of this post

Andrew Thompson

(a) A brainbench certification is useful to help
sort the chaff from the weed

Interesting.. what sort of certification will you
use to sort the chaff from the wheat, then?

Or is that the 'filthy purple buds' kind of
weed to which you refer? ;-)

Really. If you are offering no money to any
individual capable of working on your project,
you should not be looking such gift horses in
the mouth.

Chris Uppal

Ftse Daytrader wrote:

I doubt if anyone who satisfies even /one/ of these criteria...
SWING (excellent), good user interface design
Java threads (excellent)
Java 2 API (excellent)
J2EE and EJB (excellent)
C/C++ (excellent)

will see any noticeable value in...
(i) Valuable work experience relating to the financial markets
So....

(ii) An insight into how trading works and how to make money from
the markets

had better be pretty damned good.

You haven't tempted /me/ anyway :-(

-- chris

Scott Ellsworth

SWING (excellent), good user interface design
Java threads (excellent)
Java 2 API (excellent)
J2EE and EJB (excellent)
C/C++ (excellent)

Do note that if you _really_ mean excellent in all of these, you are
looking at people who can garner >$100 an hour in the contract circuit.
If, by excellent, you mean "excellent for someone still in school, with
perhaps just a few lectures on the topic", then unpaid experience is
probably in line.
2). There will be no monetary compensation - the compensation you will
receive are:
(i) Valuable work experience relating to the financial markets
(ii) An insight into how trading works and how to make money from
the markets

If the hedge fund is not producing enough revenue to pay for even a
simple translation, I must wonder about the value of the insights to be
gained from working with it. (At the least, the one person I know who
works for a large hedge fund finds them rolling in money regardless of
market. Otherwise, why hedge?)

It seems likely that a person who did this would learn a fair amount,
but he would not be able to show the resulting code to anyone, and I
remain unconvinced of the power of the algorithms.

Perhaps you might do well to offer to break out the numerics from the
proprietary algorithms using them. Offer the person the chance to open
source those, so they have something for the resume.

Scott