    --
    And loving it,

    -Qu0ll (Rare, not extinct)

    Qu0ll, Apr 6, 2009

  2. Qu0ll

    Mark Space Guest

    Qu0ll wrote:
    > It's all over apparently.

    An article in the San Fransisco Chronicle said that Sun had withdrawn
    IBM's exclusive buyer status, and IBM had withdrawn their offer, but the
    two companies were still talking.

    <http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/04/02/state/n132642D55.DTL&tsp=1>

    Mark Space, Apr 6, 2009

  3. Qu0ll

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Arne Vajhøj, Apr 6, 2009
  4. Qu0ll

    Stefan Ram Guest

    "Qu0ll" <> writes:
    >It's all over apparently.

    Why does IBM actually have to talk with Sun?

    Wouldn't it suffice, if IBM would buy the
    stocks of Sun on the markets?

    How can Sun »reject« this?

    Stefan Ram, Apr 6, 2009
  5. Qu0ll

    Qu0ll Guest

    "Stefan Ram" <-berlin.de> wrote in message
    > "Qu0ll" <> writes:
    >>It's all over apparently.

    > Why does IBM actually have to talk with Sun?
    >
    > Wouldn't it suffice, if IBM would buy the
    > stocks of Sun on the markets?
    >
    > How can Sun »reject« this?

    They can't really but that would be a straight buyout. I think Sun and IBM
    were in discussions about a »merger«.

    --
    And loving it,

    -Qu0ll (Rare, not extinct)

    Qu0ll, Apr 6, 2009
  6. Stefan Ram wrote:
    > Wouldn't it suffice, if IBM would buy the
    > stocks of Sun on the markets?

    Only if people were willing to sell stocks to give IBM a controlling
    interest.

    tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth

    Joshua Cranmer, Apr 6, 2009
  7. Qu0ll

    Stefan Ram Guest

    Joshua Cranmer <> writes:
    >>Wouldn't it suffice, if IBM would buy the
    >>stocks of Sun on the markets?

    >Only if people were willing to sell stocks to give IBM a controlling
    >interest.

    I still do not understand it:

    When Sun Microsystems, Inc. (Sun) and International Business
    Machines Corporation (IBM) would agree that IBM will buy Sun,
    can they force third parties to sell their stocks to IBM, then?

    Stefan Ram, Apr 6, 2009
  8. Qu0ll

    jharby Guest

    What could/would have happened to the Java platform if IBM had indeed
    effected the buyout?
    Would IBM have been able to leverage its position in the enterprise
    market against Oracle/BEA
    and how so?

    jharby, Apr 6, 2009
  9. Qu0ll

    Lew Guest

    Please do not top-post.

    jharby wrote:
    > What could/would have happened to the Java platform if IBM had indeed
    > effected the buyout?

    What is your opinion on this question?

    My guess is that it would have changed somewhat and continued to be
    viable to the degree that it satisfied the market need for a useful
    software-development platform.

    > Would IBM have been able to leverage its position in the enterprise
    > market against Oracle/BEA

    If not, it wouldn't be for lack of trying.

    > and how so?

    Contact IBM marketing for an answer.

    They likely will indicate that it will be through superior products
    and top-notch customer service.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Apr 6, 2009
  10. Qu0ll

    jharby Guest

    I'm thinking more in legal terms, could a company who acquired Sun
    choose to privatize
    and change the platform in such a way as to cripple the competition?
    It'd probably be more
    like "contact IBM Legal for an answer" I guess.

    jharby, Apr 7, 2009
  11. Qu0ll

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Stefan Ram wrote:
    > "Qu0ll" <> writes:
    >> It's all over apparently.

    > Why does IBM actually have to talk with Sun?
    >
    > Wouldn't it suffice, if IBM would buy the
    > stocks of Sun on the markets?
    >
    > How can Sun »reject« this?

    It is a lot easier to to buy SUN from the company
    than to try and find individual stockholders.

    For confirmation call Kerkorian and ask him
    about how it is to buy car manufacturers.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Apr 7, 2009
  12. Qu0ll

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Qu0ll wrote:
    > "Stefan Ram" <-berlin.de> wrote in message
    >> "Qu0ll" <> writes:
    >>> It's all over apparently.

    >> Why does IBM actually have to talk with Sun?
    >>
    >> Wouldn't it suffice, if IBM would buy the
    >> stocks of Sun on the markets?
    >>
    >> How can Sun »reject« this?

    > They can't really but that would be a straight buyout. I think Sun and
    > IBM were in discussions about a »merger«.

    I would call buying the company for a straight buyout and buying
    stocks as a detour.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Apr 7, 2009
  13. Qu0ll

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Stefan Ram wrote:
    > Joshua Cranmer <> writes:
    >>> Wouldn't it suffice, if IBM would buy the
    >>> stocks of Sun on the markets?

    >> Only if people were willing to sell stocks to give IBM a controlling
    >> interest.

    > I still do not understand it:
    >
    > When Sun Microsystems, Inc. (Sun) and International Business
    > Machines Corporation (IBM) would agree that IBM will buy Sun,
    > can they force third parties to sell their stocks to IBM, then?

    There are various ways of doing it.

    Some companies has rules that can force all stockholders to
    sell.

    If the company consist of a public holding company and private
    operating company, then the holding company can sell the operating
    company for cash.

    I have no idea about how the IBM-SUN deal were supposed to happen.

    I am sure they have plenty of lawyers in the 1000 USD/hour class
    to handle that.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Apr 7, 2009
  14. Qu0ll

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    jharby wrote:
    > What could/would have happened to the Java platform if IBM had indeed
    > effected the buyout?
    > Would IBM have been able to leverage its position in the enterprise
    > market against Oracle/BEA
    > and how so?

    The Java future are already in the hands of the JCP and SUN's reference
    implementations are open source, so IBM could not do much.

    IBM would own the Java trademarks and thereby making sure that
    Microsoft did not buy them.

    I think that is about it.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Apr 7, 2009
  15. Qu0ll

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    jharby wrote:
    > I'm thinking more in legal terms, could a company who acquired Sun
    > choose to privatize
    > and change the platform in such a way as to cripple the competition?
    > It'd probably be more
    > like "contact IBM Legal for an answer" I guess.

    SUN has already handed most stuff except the trademarks over to JCP
    and open source projects.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Apr 7, 2009
  16. Qu0ll

    Lew Guest

    jharby wrote:
    > I'm thinking more in legal terms, could a company who acquired Sun
    > choose to privatize
    > and change the platform in such a way as to cripple the competition?
    > It'd probably be more
    > like "contact IBM Legal for an answer" I guess.

    Please do not top-post. Please.

    >> --
    >> Lew

    Nor quote sigs.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Apr 7, 2009
  17. Qu0ll

    jharby Guest

    What are you talking about?

    jharby, Apr 7, 2009
  18. On Apr 7, 4:05 pm, jharby <> wrote:
    > What are you talking about?

    If you insist on top-posting, please be more specific
    about your question(s).

    --
    Andrew T.
    pscode.org

    Andrew Thompson, Apr 7, 2009
  19. jharby wrote:
    > What are you talking about?

    http://catb.org/jargon/html/T/top-post.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting#Top-posting
    http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

    Most of the usenet newsgroups I follow have a strong preference for
    inline posting.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting#Inline_replying

    > On Apr 6, 5:22 pm, Lew <> wrote:
    >> jharby wrote:
    >>> I'm thinking more in legal terms, could a company who acquired Sun
    >>> choose to privatize
    >>> and change the platform in such a way as to cripple the competition?
    >>> It'd probably be more
    >>> like "contact IBM Legal for an answer" I guess.

    >> Please do not top-post. Please.

    >> Nor quote sigs.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lew

    Anything after newline hyphen hyphen space newline is a signature and
    should be (by polite convention) removed from your reply. In other words
    you should have removed the last three lines above this paragraph.

    These are small acts of politeness that are customary in this newsgroup
    and others. Small acts of politeness are appreciated by many active
    participants. Nothing forces you to be polite, some choose not to be.
    The consequences are what you would expect.

    --
    RGB

    RedGrittyBrick, Apr 7, 2009
  20. Qu0ll