Sun Tech Days 2008 - Melbourne - My experiences

Discussion in 'Java' started by Benjamin.Watsons@gmail.com, Mar 4, 2008.

  1. Guest

    I attended the Sun Tech Days 2008 in Melbourne today. It was a well
    presented conference, with key international speakers from Sun
    Microsystems presenting various technologies like Netbeans, Glassfish,
    JavaFX, JRuby, SOA & BPEL, Rich Internet Applications using jMaki /
    AJAX, etc. There was also a special appearance from James Gosling (via
    satellite link) at the beginning of the program who talked about the
    future of Java and his personal experiences with the language.

    I was very disappointed that Sun did not include the full Sun Tech
    Days 2008 program in Melbourne. The full program is available in
    Sydney and I believe the attendees got most of the good prizes too.
    Melbourne has the first part of the program (including the James
    Gosling speech) via satellite only. It's such a shame because
    Melbourne has more top Sun/Java expertise than any part of Australia.
    The fact that Melbourne has to play second fiddle (in other words the
    "bridesmaid") to Sydney is a very bad call on the part of Sun. Just my
    personal opinion.

    I hope that this can be rectified next year. Sun needs to understand
    that Sydney is not the only internationally renowned Australian city
    in the world.
    , Mar 4, 2008

    On Mar 4, 3:36 am, wrote:
    > I attended the Sun Tech Days 2008 in Melbourne today. It was a well
    > presented conference, with key international speakers from Sun
    > Microsystems presenting various technologies like Netbeans, Glassfish,
    > JavaFX, JRuby, SOA & BPEL, Rich Internet Applications using jMaki /
    > AJAX, etc. There was also a special appearance from James Gosling (via
    > satellite link) at the beginning of the program who talked about the
    > future of Java and his personal experiences with the language.
    >
    > I was very disappointed that Sun did not include the full Sun Tech
    > Days 2008 program in Melbourne. The full program is available in
    > Sydney and I believe the attendees got most of the good prizes too.
    > Melbourne has the first part of the program (including the James
    > Gosling speech) via satellite only. It's such a shame because
    > Melbourne has more top Sun/Java expertise than any part of Australia.
    > The fact that Melbourne has to play second fiddle (in other words the
    > "bridesmaid") to Sydney is a very bad call on the part of Sun. Just my
    > personal opinion.
    >
    > I hope that this can be rectified next year. Sun needs to understand
    > that Sydney is not the only internationally renowned Australian city
    > in the world.

    *****Aaron Houston wrote****
    Hi... I work as Sun's Java User Group Programs coordinator in the
    Technology Outreach group. I certainly can understand how you feel
    about this. As someone who works closely with the Java Technology
    evangelists that support and provide speakers to the Tech Days
    program, I do know that Sun has a larger office in Sydney....and the
    local Sun team of Laurie Wong and also David Coldrick (David who works
    with the Sydney Java User Group) are a tremendous help....which is
    essential to holding a big event like this. We've never done a Sun
    Tech Days in Australia, so I'll forward your concerns to the Sun Tech
    Days team. Appreciate your feedback...we'll try to do better when we
    return to Australia.

    Aaron Houston
    --
    Aaron Houston