Supercomputer and encryption and compression @ rate of 96%

R. C. James Harlow

You have to do that before Fredrick's script works...

Damn - 'Fredrik's' - I accidentally decompressed his name.

Michael Spencer

Fredrik said:
Tiziano Bettio wrote:

magic?

I suggest running my script on a couple of small text files. when you've done that,
see if you can figure out how the decompression algorithm works.

</F>

Tricky - especially checking the parity of the data bit, but I believe the
following works:

def decompress(filename):
m = '\x00\x00\x0fE\xc7\xc4'
m = [(ord(i) & 0x7F) - (ord(i) & 0x80) for i in m]

filename, data = open(filename, "rb").read(), filename[:-4]

class Unfold(object):
# Accumulator for partially unfolded data
args = []

try:
unfold = Unfold()
data = "==".join([data,'\n'])
compressed = [abs(data)]
for fold in compressed:
unfold.args.append(fold ** abs(fold))
except TypeError, unfold:
# No more unfolds
pass

decoder = __import__("".join(chr(ord(i)+j)
for i, j in zip(unfold.args[0], m))).decodestring
return decoder(data)

Michael

Lonnie Princehouse

That's pretty good, but I have an algorithm that compresses data into
zero bits.

def compress(data):
pass

To decompress, you simply generate a random string of random length
using a random number generator based on quantum states, with the
expectation that you happen to be in one of the possible universes for
which this string turns out to be the data you compressed in the first
place.

Now, according to Leibniz, God (who alone exists by necessity)
initially conceived of all possible worlds, and He chose this world out
of all others to actualize. Because God is benevolent, he chose the
fullest world with the least evil, meaning that we do indeed exist in
the Best of All Possible Worlds. In the Best of All Possible worlds,
that random string you just generated would be your uncompressed data,
right? In fact, it might even be better than the original data. (a
"gainy" algorithm?)

[file under "Faith Algorithms"]

Peter Hansen

R. C. James Harlow said:
Damn - 'Fredrik's' - I accidentally decompressed his name.

It actually *is* "Fredrick", but the c is both silent,
and hidden...

-seemed-silly-enough-for-this-thread-ly y'rs,
Peter

Robin Becker

R. C. James Harlow said:
<snip>

Dear Sir or Madam,
I have received notification that you posted a compression algorithm on
the newsgroup comp.lang.python on or about 10:27:26 on the 04/14/2005. I am
writing to you to inform you that the algorithm published infringes my
"zero-bit compression" algorithm, US Pat No. 13375P33K, which details the
transmission of information using no bandwidth to achieve a 100%
compression. Please immediately follow up with a retraction of rights to this
algorithm or you will hear from my solicitor, Mr J. Peasbody.

Yours in law,
James Harlow.
Isn't it time we decompressed Adolf Hitler so that this thread can die?