support for META refresh tag in old browsers

Jon Berg

Is there any place where I can get an overview of what browsers support
the <meta http-equiv="Refresh" content="0;url=some-file.html"> tag.
Especially very old browsers.
Is it supported by all? Netscape 1.0?

Jon.

Jukka K. Korpela

Jon Berg said:
Is there any place where I can get an overview of what browsers
support the <meta http-equiv="Refresh"
content="0;url=some-file.html"> tag. Especially very old browsers.

There is no "support" concept, since there is no official definition of
what the tag _means_. There is no Refresh header defined in the HTTP
protocol, and a tag meant to simulate one is even less defined.

Moreover, the HTML specification explicitly tells us _not_ to use
such tags, so why would you be interested in "support" to it?

It's also a matter of browser configuration. Browsers that do something
with the kludge may have settings that prevent such redirections.
Is it supported by all? Netscape 1.0?

Why would you care? Nobody else is probably interested, so I sent you a
detailed list by E-mail. Sorry, deleted it after sending; hope you had
the right address in the From field.

Jon Berg

I did not get any email message from you.

You can use it as a cheap way ofdoing the 30x header responses.
But I guess it is not promoted as a good way of doing it.

By support I mean "does it work".

Jukka K. Korpela

Jon Berg said:
I did not get any email message from you.

You can use it as a cheap way ofdoing the 30x header responses.
But I guess it is not promoted as a good way of doing it.

By support I mean "does it work".

Consider getting a clue. See
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/dont.html

Maybe your address in the From field _is_ forged. It looks like forged.
Please do not fix it before you have a clue.

Jon Berg

If you remove "nospamwhatsoever-" you can send me emails.
But I don't want stuff sent to my email.

I think it is you that do not have a clue.

The whole consept of newsgroup is that you post to the newsgroup and
don't send stuff in the email.

You should add that to your list.

Hywel Jenkins

If you remove "nospamwhatsoever-" you can send me emails.
But I don't want stuff sent to my email.
Whoosh!

I think it is you that do not have a clue.

He does, however, know how to reply to a post.

Toby Inkster

Jon said:
The whole consept of newsgroup is that you post to the newsgroup and
don't send stuff in the email.

I beg to differ.

If I have a reply that I don't think the rest of the group would benefit
from, I could choose to take the discussion to e-mail. (Why else include a
From field at all?)

But if I think that other people may benefit from reading my message, I'd
post it to the group.

On the other side of the coin, it is rude to explicitly request that
people reply to you by e-mail, as it implies that you can't be bothered to
read the group yourself.