Swing application needs

David Vach

What technologies, frameworks are the best to be used in the swing
desktop application ?
- is there any framework ?
- what data storage should be used
- what about swing components - should we use standard or somethinf
else ?
- ...

What practices do you recommend to us ?

foobar

What technologies, frameworks are the best to be used in the swing
desktop application ?
- is there any framework ?
- what data storage should be used
- what about swing components - should we use standard or somethinf
else ?
- ...

What practices do you recommend to us ?

Take a look at the Netbeans platform (http://netbeans.org) or the
Eclipse RCP (http://eclipse.org)

David Vach

Take a look at the Netbeans platform (http://netbeans.org) or the
Eclipse RCP (http://eclipse.org)

So the framework is netbeans or eclipse ????? Data storage is netbeans
or eclipse ?????

So one more:

What technologies, frameworks are the best to be used in the swing
desktop application ?
- is there any framework ?
- what data storage should be used
- what about swing components - should we use standard or something
else ?
- ...

Rogan Dawes

David said:
So the framework is netbeans or eclipse ????? Data storage is netbeans
or eclipse ?????

So one more:

What technologies, frameworks are the best to be used in the swing
desktop application ?
- is there any framework ?
- what data storage should be used
- what about swing components - should we use standard or something
else ?
- ...

Did you even think about what he said? Or do a google for the phrases he
used?

"netbeans platform" refers to a Swing-based framework that can be used
to develop rich applications, without reinventing the wheel.

"eclipse rcp" refers to a SWT-based framework that can be used to
develop rich applications, without reinventing the wheel.

So, to answer your question in excruciating detail:

1. Eclipse RCP and netbeans Framework are frameworks you can consider.

You may also want to consider Spring Rich Client, as well as the sample
code coming from JCP 296 (I think), which is investigating providing a
framework as part of the JDK (7, most likely)

2. Use any darn data storage you like. XML, JDBC, Hibernate, flat files.
It's up to you. YOUR needs will drive your decision.

3. If you want to use Swing, feel free to use components that simplify
your life. e.g. if you need a Calendar widget, maybe NachoCalendar will
suit. Licenses, support, maintainability, API, etc will all play a role
in YOUR decision to use or not to use non-standard components.
Similarly, platform availability may influence your decision to use
Eclipse RCP, since it is SWT-based, and not ported quite as widely as
Swing (AFAIK).

Rogan

Michael Rauscher

David said:
So the framework is netbeans or eclipse ?????

Right, for Swing it's NetBeans *Platform* and AFAIK for SWT it's Eclipse
*RCP*.
Data storage is netbeans or eclipse ?????

'Data storage' is a bit vague.

E.g. if you need a database, you might want to use JPA, but simple JDBC
connections might be enough, too.

Preferences are also a kind of 'data storage'...

So, specify your needs.

Bye
Michael

David Vach

Well, in the web area, I can choose struts or JSF framework instead
of using only Servlet API.

So, is there any framework for Swing based application that simplify
the whole process ?

Michael Rauscher

David said:
Well, in the web area, I can choose struts or JSF framework instead
of using only Servlet API.

So, is there any framework for Swing based application that simplify
the whole process ?

Since you're talking about the frontend: NetBeans Platform.

Bye
Michael