    else ?
    - ...

    What practices do you recommend to us ?

    David Vach, Mar 1, 2007

  2. David Vach

    Guest

    On Mar 1, 8:35 am, "David Vach" <> wrote:
    > What technologies, frameworks are the best to be used in the swing
    > desktop application ?
    > - is there any framework ?
    > - what data storage should be used
    > - what about swing components - should we use standard or somethinf
    > else ?
    > - ...
    >
    > What practices do you recommend to us ?

    Take a look at the Netbeans platform (http://netbeans.org) or the
    Eclipse RCP (http://eclipse.org)

    , Mar 1, 2007

  3. David Vach

    David Vach Guest

    On Mar 1, 7:36 am, wrote:
    > On Mar 1, 8:35 am, "David Vach" <> wrote:
    >
    > > What technologies, frameworks are the best to be used in the swing
    > > desktop application ?
    > > - is there any framework ?
    > > - what data storage should be used
    > > - what about swing components - should we use standard or somethinf
    > > else ?
    > > - ...

    > > What practices do you recommend to us ?

    > Take a look at the Netbeans platform (http://netbeans.org) or the
    > Eclipse RCP (http://eclipse.org)

    So the framework is netbeans or eclipse ????? Data storage is netbeans
    or eclipse ?????

    So one more:

    What technologies, frameworks are the best to be used in the swing
    desktop application ?
    - is there any framework ?
    - what data storage should be used
    - what about swing components - should we use standard or something
    else ?
    - ...

    David Vach, Mar 2, 2007
  4. David Vach

    Rogan Dawes Guest

    David Vach wrote:
    > On Mar 1, 7:36 am, wrote:
    >> On Mar 1, 8:35 am, "David Vach" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> What technologies, frameworks are the best to be used in the swing
    >>> desktop application ?
    >>> - is there any framework ?
    >>> - what data storage should be used
    >>> - what about swing components - should we use standard or somethinf
    >>> else ?
    >>> - ...
    >>> What practices do you recommend to us ?

    >> Take a look at the Netbeans platform (http://netbeans.org) or the
    >> Eclipse RCP (http://eclipse.org)

    > So the framework is netbeans or eclipse ????? Data storage is netbeans
    > or eclipse ?????
    >
    > So one more:
    >
    > What technologies, frameworks are the best to be used in the swing
    > desktop application ?
    > - is there any framework ?
    > - what data storage should be used
    > - what about swing components - should we use standard or something
    > else ?
    > - ...

    Did you even think about what he said? Or do a google for the phrases he
    used?

    "netbeans platform" refers to a Swing-based framework that can be used
    to develop rich applications, without reinventing the wheel.

    "eclipse rcp" refers to a SWT-based framework that can be used to
    develop rich applications, without reinventing the wheel.

    So, to answer your question in excruciating detail:

    1. Eclipse RCP and netbeans Framework are frameworks you can consider.

    You may also want to consider Spring Rich Client, as well as the sample
    code coming from JCP 296 (I think), which is investigating providing a
    framework as part of the JDK (7, most likely)

    2. Use any darn data storage you like. XML, JDBC, Hibernate, flat files.
    It's up to you. YOUR needs will drive your decision.

    3. If you want to use Swing, feel free to use components that simplify
    your life. e.g. if you need a Calendar widget, maybe NachoCalendar will
    suit. Licenses, support, maintainability, API, etc will all play a role
    in YOUR decision to use or not to use non-standard components.
    Similarly, platform availability may influence your decision to use
    Eclipse RCP, since it is SWT-based, and not ported quite as widely as
    Swing (AFAIK).

    Rogan

    Rogan Dawes, Mar 2, 2007
  5. David Vach schrieb:
    > On Mar 1, 7:36 am, wrote:
    >> On Mar 1, 8:35 am, "David Vach" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> What technologies, frameworks are the best to be used in the swing
    >>> desktop application ?
    >>> - is there any framework ?
    >>> - what data storage should be used
    >>> - what about swing components - should we use standard or somethinf
    >>> else ?
    >>> - ...
    >>> What practices do you recommend to us ?

    >> Take a look at the Netbeans platform (http://netbeans.org) or the
    >> Eclipse RCP (http://eclipse.org)

    > So the framework is netbeans or eclipse ?????

    Right, for Swing it's NetBeans *Platform* and AFAIK for SWT it's Eclipse
    *RCP*.

    > Data storage is netbeans or eclipse ?????

    'Data storage' is a bit vague.

    E.g. if you need a database, you might want to use JPA, but simple JDBC
    connections might be enough, too.

    Preferences are also a kind of 'data storage'...

    So, specify your needs.

    Bye
    Michael

    Michael Rauscher, Mar 2, 2007
  6. David Vach

    David Vach Guest

    Well, in the web area, I can choose struts or JSF framework instead
    of using only Servlet API.

    So, is there any framework for Swing based application that simplify
    the whole process ?

    David Vach, Mar 5, 2007
  7. David Vach wrote:
    > Well, in the web area, I can choose struts or JSF framework instead
    > of using only Servlet API.
    >
    > So, is there any framework for Swing based application that simplify
    > the whole process ?

    Since you're talking about the frontend: NetBeans Platform.

    Bye
    Michael

    Michael Rauscher, Mar 5, 2007