    Any help would be gratefully received ......

    Many thanks,
    Michela.

    michela rossi, Jul 8, 2003

  2. michela rossi

    Mothra Guest

    "michela rossi" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > We have a local server, say STAGING on which we preview a site we're
    > developing. Periodically we upload files to the live site.
    >
    > Does anyone know of any kind of shell script/perl script which we
    > could run which could recursively look at each folder on the live site
    > and STAGING, and if any files are out of date on live copy them up
    > from STAGING to live?

    unix or WNT or both?

    Mothra

    Mothra, Jul 8, 2003

  3. michela rossi

    The Sender Guest

    At some time in the past michela rossi wrote :

    > Hi,
    > Wonder if anyone can help me.
    >
    > We have a local server, say STAGING on which we preview a site we're
    > developing. Periodically we upload files to the live site.
    >
    > Does anyone know of any kind of shell script/perl script which we
    > could run which could recursively look at each folder on the live site
    > and STAGING, and if any files are out of date on live copy them up
    > from STAGING to live?
    >
    > Anything like this around that anyone knows about?
    > Any help would be gratefully received ......
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > Michela.

    Have a look at the man pages for wget.

    --
    Regards,

    William

    The Sender, Jul 8, 2003
  4. Assuming un*x on both machines yes. However, if perl is the way you want to
    go, try w3mir (search on google for it). It hasn't been updated for a while,
    but it is designed to copy websites. Will even perform username and password
    authentication if your staging site is protected.
    Gareth

    Gareth Glaccum, Jul 10, 2003
  5. In article <bekgvk$mnl$>, Gareth Glaccum wrote:
    [top-posting fixed]
    > "Perusion hostmaster" <> wrote in message
    >> > Does anyone know of any kind of shell script/perl script which we
    >> > could run which could recursively look at each folder on the live site
    >> > and STAGING, and if any files are out of date on live copy them up
    >> > from STAGING to live?
    >> >

    >> Perl is not the best thing for the job, rsync(1) is:

    > Assuming un*x on both machines yes.

    Cygwin has a working rsync too, and now that Mac OS/X is out it
    should be there as well (though I don't know that for sure).

    > However, if perl is the way you want to
    > go, try w3mir (search on google for it). It hasn't been updated for a while,
    > but it is designed to copy websites. Will even perform username and password
    > authentication if your staging site is protected.

    I have used w3mir, but consider it too long in the tooth to use any more
    when I have a better alternative. Yet if all you have is an FTP account,
    you are right -- it may be the best thing.

    --

    Few blame themselves until they have exhausted all other possibilities.
    -- anonymous

    Perusion Hostmaster, Jul 12, 2003