Synchronizing two ftp sites/folders

michela rossi

Hi,
Wonder if anyone can help me.

We have a local server, say STAGING on which we preview a site we're
developing. Periodically we upload files to the live site.

Does anyone know of any kind of shell script/perl script which we
could run which could recursively look at each folder on the live site
and STAGING, and if any files are out of date on live copy them up
from STAGING to live?

Anything like this around that anyone knows about?
Any help would be gratefully received ......

Many thanks,
Michela.

Mothra

michela rossi said:
We have a local server, say STAGING on which we preview a site we're
developing. Periodically we upload files to the live site.

Does anyone know of any kind of shell script/perl script which we
could run which could recursively look at each folder on the live site
and STAGING, and if any files are out of date on live copy them up
from STAGING to live?
unix or WNT or both?

Mothra

The Sender

At some time in the past michela rossi wrote :
Hi,
Wonder if anyone can help me.

We have a local server, say STAGING on which we preview a site we're
developing. Periodically we upload files to the live site.

Does anyone know of any kind of shell script/perl script which we
could run which could recursively look at each folder on the live site
and STAGING, and if any files are out of date on live copy them up
from STAGING to live?

Anything like this around that anyone knows about?
Any help would be gratefully received ......

Many thanks,
Michela.

Have a look at the man pages for wget.

Gareth Glaccum

Assuming un*x on both machines yes. However, if perl is the way you want to
go, try w3mir (search on google for it). It hasn't been updated for a while,
but it is designed to copy websites. Will even perform username and password
authentication if your staging site is protected.
Gareth

Perusion Hostmaster

Gareth Glaccum wrote: said:
Assuming un*x on both machines yes.

Cygwin has a working rsync too, and now that Mac OS/X is out it
should be there as well (though I don't know that for sure).
However, if perl is the way you want to
go, try w3mir (search on google for it). It hasn't been updated for a while,
but it is designed to copy websites. Will even perform username and password
authentication if your staging site is protected.

I have used w3mir, but consider it too long in the tooth to use any more
when I have a better alternative. Yet if all you have is an FTP account,
you are right -- it may be the best thing.