    Thanks,
    -Nikhil
    , Dec 1, 2005

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Currently, we are porting C++ applications from 32 bit to 64 bit on AIX
    > platform. (The current version of AIX is 5.3 and xlC verison is 8.0).
    > We are able to compile the applications by including the -q64 option in
    > xlC compiler. And we are able to link all these libraries to one of
    > the main applications and generate an executable. SKLoader. But, when
    > we try to run this main executable, we are getting the following
    > errors:
    >
    > ./SKLoader: syntax error near unexpected token `<bigaf>'
    > ./SKLoader: ./SKLoader: line 1: `<bigaf>'
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > -Nikhil

    You've built an executable, so clearly your C++ code is compileable.
    The only other question that people here will be able to answer is "why
    doesn't my program do what I think it should?" To answer that, people
    will still need to see the C++ code that is misbehaving, along with
    descriptions of what happens and what you think should happen.

    http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.8

    Gavin Deane
    , Dec 1, 2005

    Before making the changes into the Makefiles in order to make to
    portable 64 bit, all the modules worked perfectly in 32 bit mode. The
    error related to (syntax error near unexpected token `<bigaf>') started
    occuring when I tried to run the application in 64 bit mode.

    Thanks,
    -Nikhil

    wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Currently, we are porting C++ applications from 32 bit to 64 bit on AIX
    > > platform. (The current version of AIX is 5.3 and xlC verison is 8.0).
    > > We are able to compile the applications by including the -q64 option in
    > > xlC compiler. And we are able to link all these libraries to one of
    > > the main applications and generate an executable. SKLoader. But, when
    > > we try to run this main executable, we are getting the following
    > > errors:
    > >
    > > ./SKLoader: syntax error near unexpected token `<bigaf>'
    > > ./SKLoader: ./SKLoader: line 1: `<bigaf>'
    > >
    > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > -Nikhil

    > You've built an executable, so clearly your C++ code is compileable.
    > The only other question that people here will be able to answer is "why
    > doesn't my program do what I think it should?" To answer that, people
    > will still need to see the C++ code that is misbehaving, along with
    > descriptions of what happens and what you think should happen.
    >
    > http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.8
    >
    > Gavin Deane
    , Dec 1, 2005

    Please don't top-post - rearranged
    wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > wrote:
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > Currently, we are porting C++ applications from 32 bit to 64 bit on AIX
    > > > platform. (The current version of AIX is 5.3 and xlC verison is 8.0).
    > > > We are able to compile the applications by including the -q64 option in
    > > > xlC compiler. And we are able to link all these libraries to one of
    > > > the main applications and generate an executable. SKLoader. But, when
    > > > we try to run this main executable, we are getting the following
    > > > errors:
    > > >
    > > > ./SKLoader: syntax error near unexpected token `<bigaf>'
    > > > ./SKLoader: ./SKLoader: line 1: `<bigaf>'
    > > >
    > > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > -Nikhil

    > > You've built an executable, so clearly your C++ code is compileable.
    > > The only other question that people here will be able to answer is "why
    > > doesn't my program do what I think it should?" To answer that, people
    > > will still need to see the C++ code that is misbehaving, along with
    > > descriptions of what happens and what you think should happen.
    > >
    > > http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.8
    > >
    > > Gavin Deane

    > Hi,
    >
    > Before making the changes into the Makefiles in order to make to
    > portable 64 bit, all the modules worked perfectly in 32 bit mode. The
    > error related to (syntax error near unexpected token `<bigaf>') started
    > occuring when I tried to run the application in 64 bit mode.

    Where does <bigaf> come from and what is your program trying to do when
    it reports a syntax error? Is <bigaf> in a C++ source code file you are
    trying to compile? Presumably not, since you are compiling
    successfully. Is it in a file your program opens, reads and parses? If
    so, people here might be able to help if you follow the guidelines for
    posting code given in the FAQ I posted a link to. You would need to
    show the C++ code that is reporting a syntax error and the input it
    reported a syntax error in.

    If you can't formulate a C++ language question then you'll have to ask
    a newsgroup for your compiler or platform.

    Gavin Deane
    , Dec 1, 2005

    The <bigaf> is coming from static libraries which we are linking to the
    main application. These static libraries were developed by us and
    worked excellent in the 32 bit mode. And we are able to generate the
    static libraries(.a files) by making the modification to the Makefiles
    in order to port the application to 64 bit. And we are able to link all
    these libraries to one of the main applications and generate an
    executable. SKLoader. But, when we try to run this main executable, we
    are getting the following errors:

    ../SKLoader: syntax error near unexpected token `<bigaf>'
    ../SKLoader: ./SKLoader: line 1: `<bigaf>'

    We even do not know why <bigaf> is coming from static libraries? All we
    know is that bigaf is the file format used by ar (archive) command.
    This is the command which we are using inside Makefile in order to
    generate the main executables and static libraries.

    Thanks,
    -Nikhil

    wrote:
    > Please don't top-post - rearranged
    > wrote:
    > > wrote:

    > > > You've built an executable, so clearly your C++ code is compileable.
    > > > The only other question that people here will be able to answer is "why
    > > > doesn't my program do what I think it should?" To answer that, people
    > > > will still need to see the C++ code that is misbehaving, along with
    > > > descriptions of what happens and what you think should happen.
    > > >
    > > > http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.8
    > > >
    > > > Gavin Deane

    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Before making the changes into the Makefiles in order to make to
    > > portable 64 bit, all the modules worked perfectly in 32 bit mode. The
    > > error related to (syntax error near unexpected token `<bigaf>') started
    > > occuring when I tried to run the application in 64 bit mode.

    > Where does <bigaf> come from and what is your program trying to do when
    > it reports a syntax error? Is <bigaf> in a C++ source code file you are
    > trying to compile? Presumably not, since you are compiling
    > successfully. Is it in a file your program opens, reads and parses? If
    > so, people here might be able to help if you follow the guidelines for
    > posting code given in the FAQ I posted a link to. You would need to
    > show the C++ code that is reporting a syntax error and the input it
    > reported a syntax error in.
    >
    > If you can't formulate a C++ language question then you'll have to ask
    > a newsgroup for your compiler or platform.
    >
    > Gavin Deane
    , Dec 1, 2005

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > The <bigaf> is coming from static libraries which we are linking to the
    > main application. These static libraries were developed by us and
    > worked excellent in the 32 bit mode. And we are able to generate the
    > static libraries(.a files) by making the modification to the Makefiles
    > in order to port the application to 64 bit. And we are able to link all
    > these libraries to one of the main applications and generate an
    > executable. SKLoader. But, when we try to run this main executable, we
    > are getting the following errors:
    >
    > ./SKLoader: syntax error near unexpected token `<bigaf>'
    > ./SKLoader: ./SKLoader: line 1: `<bigaf>'
    >
    > We even do not know why <bigaf> is coming from static libraries? All we
    > know is that bigaf is the file format used by ar (archive) command.
    > This is the command which we are using inside Makefile in order to
    > generate the main executables and static libraries.

    You are still top-posting. Please put your reply AFTER the message you
    are replying to, or interleaved if you are commenting on particular
    points.

    What you've got isn't a C++ language question topical here as defined
    by

    You'll need to ask a newsgroup that deals with your particular compiler
    and its 64 bit behavior

    Gavin Deane
    , Dec 1, 2005