    I guess it isn't as simple as I think it out to be :)

    Thanks,

    Arpan
    Arpan, Jun 26, 2005

  2. Arpan

    Jon Guest

    I presume a system DSN is "active" (so to speak) so the application can just
    call the details, etc because they are readily available. meaning it won't
    have to access the registry thus making faster than a file DSN.

    Though this is just my theory!

    --
    Jon

    Look at that dead pixel on your screen! *SLAP* Gotcha!

    Jon, Jun 26, 2005

  3. Arpan

    Jon Guest

    Actually I'd be interested to read that article from MS because I cannot
    find anything that suggest one is faster than the other. Here is an article
    that explains the differences and perhaps favours file-DSNs due to there
    portability
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...en-us/vdbref/html/dvhowcreatingmachinedsn.asp

    Jon, Jun 26, 2005
  4. Arpan

    Ken Jenkins Guest

    http://www.powerasp.com/content/database/dsn_vs_dnsless.asp

    http://www.powerasp.com/content/hintstips/permissions.asp

    http://support.cjwsoft.com/code/moreinfo9-1.htm

    Ken Jenkins, Jun 26, 2005
  5. Arpan wrote:
    > Microsoft, in one of its "Help & Support" pages on ADO, says that a
    > System DSN is three times faster than a File DSN. I find that a bit
    > odd for the simple reason that won't it be faster for a script to
    > access a file to get info about the database source than access the
    > same info from the registry which will be the case if a System DSN is
    > used instead of a File DSN?

    Much of the registry is cached in RAM, so the information is quickly
    available.

    > I very well know that ultimately a DSN-less connection is the best!
    >
    > I guess it isn't as simple as I think it out to be :)
    >
    > Thanks,

    Use neither. Use OLE DB instead of ODBC (assuming a native OLE DB provider
    is available for your database).

    Many of the pages you will find on the MS Support site are in dire need of
    revision.

    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jun 26, 2005
  6. Arpan

    Guest

    > Many of the pages you will find on the MS Support site are in dire need of
    > revision.
    >
    > Bob Barrows

    Well, what the hell are you doing here?? Hop to it!!! ;-)
    , Jun 27, 2005
  7. Arpan

    Arpan Guest

    Visit http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;258939 to
    read the KB article Jon. It's the very 1st point listed under the topic
    'Additional items to consider' in that article.

    Thanks to everyone for their input.

    Regards,

    Arpan

    Arpan, Jun 28, 2005
  8. Arpan

    Jon Guest

    Ah hah! Thanks for the link. Interesting read though I'm presuming it only
    applies to IIS. I cannot notice much difference on other servers. Though I
    may just have not noticed and it may have been. I'll bear the info in mind.

    Jon, Jul 2, 2005