System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient Send method causing an Application popup in IIS ???

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by ticketdirector@gmail.com, Apr 24, 2006.

    In the event viewer on our production web server (win2k3), I am seeing
    that if a call to the System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send() function fails
    / throws an exception, it is popping up an assertion failure message
    box. But since this is a remote server, there is no logged in user, so
    the assertion failure message box is just sitting there waiting forever
    for someone to come along and hit "OK" button. This is causing problems
    on the server.

    We have this call in a try/catch, so I can't understand why assertion
    failires or exceptions are not caught. Why is this call causing an
    application assertion failure popup message that can never be seen? Is
    there a way to fix this?

    thanks for any help.

    Roy.

    , Apr 24, 2006

  2. RE: System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient Send method causing an Application popu

    Sounds like you may want to check your JIT debugger settings in the Registry.
    Sorry don't have a link handy. Also, make sure debug=false in the web.config.
    Peter
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    UnBlog:
    http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?=, Apr 25, 2006

    Re: System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient Send method causing an Application popu

    Peter,

    thanks for your response. I checked my web.config and debug is set to
    false. I did some searching on google for the proper reg key to modify
    to disable this behavior, but was unsuccessful. Aside from needing to
    figure out how to fix this, I'd love to also know *why* it's happening.
    All other exceptions thrown in my web app get caught by exception
    handlers except this one.

    : (

    , Apr 25, 2006
  4. hazz Guest

    Re: System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient Send method causing an Application popu

    There is some unmanaged code stuff going on at the lower levels. My
    experience with smtp and the .net controls led me to test locally and I had
    to use devmail.net's product to get my sends to work. Even with a detail
    trace on what was going on at the port level, I never could sort out my
    issue. -greg

    hazz, Apr 25, 2006