System.Security.SecurityException: Requested registry access is no

Tim Reynolds

Using Web Service to raise Event, for Enterpise Instrumentation (EIF) to
write to Application Log (in event viewer). I just reimaged my pC - so trying
to get it set up - I had it setup before using Win 2000 and don't remember
hitting this error. Now I'm on XP Pro, and seeing:
Error loading an Event Sink of type
'Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Logging.EventSinks.LogEventSink,
Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Logging.EventSinks, Version=1.0.0.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=da59d79eb5fd8f1a'. The Event Source of name
'Application' will not write events out to this Event Sink. The following
exception was returned during the load:

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by
the target of an invocation. ---> System.Security.SecurityException:
Requested registry access is not allowed.
at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.OpenSubKey(String name, Boolean writable)
at System.Diagnostics.EventLog.FindSourceRegistration(String source,
String machineName, Boolean readOnly)
at System.Diagnostics.EventLog.SourceExists(String source, String
machineName)
at System.Diagnostics.EventLog.SourceExists(String source)
at
Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Logging.EventSinks.LogEventSink.CreateEventSource()
at
Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Logging.EventSinks.LogEventSink..ctor(IDictionary
parameters, EventSource eventSource)

Please assists - Thanks.
I've heard I shouldn't make ASPNET ID administrator for security reasons, so
I don't want to go that route.

WHat can I do?

Thanks,
Tim
Verizon

Tim Reynolds

Other symptom is getting 2035 when trying to read MQ under this web service.
Both issues I didn't have before. ....

Nicole Calinoiu

You need to ensure that the event source is registered under an admin
account before you attempt to write to it from a low-privilege account. If
this is your development machine, just run a little console app under an
admin account to create the event log source. This requires only one line
of code: System.Diagnostics.EventLog.CreateEventSource("SourceName",
"LogName"). Registration of the event source should also be added to your
application's installer, which would presumably be run under an admin
account.