Tab Order

Terry Olson

Is there a way to dictate tab order within a form? I am going to have 3
columns of text input fields, but I want to make it so that tabbing only
brings the focus down the 3rd column. I know I can use onBlur(), but I want
to try and avoid that. Anyone got other solutions?

Ivo

Is there a way to dictate tab order within a form? I am going to have 3
columns of text input fields, but I want to make it so that tabbing only
brings the focus down the 3rd column. I know I can use onBlur(), but I want
to try and avoid that. Anyone got other solutions?

No need for javascript here. Look into the tabindex attribute:

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/interact/forms.html#tabbing-navigation

to which may be added that a negative value (as in <input tabindex="-1"> for
example) will invalidate the document but cause the element to be skipped
entirely, at least in IE afaik.