tables in firefox!!

miguelco01blue

Hi, i need some help..

I'm trying to make a table with a color border, and it works fine in
Internet explorer but in firefox looks different the border is not
consistent (it appears in 2 colors). how do I make a table border look
as it looks in internet explorer for firefox.

Thanks,

brucie

I'm trying to make a table with a color border,

table{border:1px solid green;}
and it works fine in Internet explorer but in firefox looks different the
border is not consistent (it appears in 2 colors).

we'll just have to take your word for it as you didn't supply a url
demonstrating the issue you're having.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, (e-mail address removed) quothed:
Hi, i need some help..

I'm trying to make a table with a color border, and it works fine in
Internet explorer but in firefox looks different the border is not
consistent (it appears in 2 colors). how do I make a table border look
as it looks in internet explorer for firefox.

Thanks,

Use css, to wit:

table {
border:1px solid #808080;
}

The "1px" is the (arbitrary) thickness, the "solid" is the type (-and
prevents the beveling effect you were complaining about,) and the last
is the color in hexadecimal.

Jafar As-Sadiq Calley

Hi, i need some help..

I'm trying to make a table with a color border, and it works fine in
Internet explorer but in firefox looks different the border is not
consistent (it appears in 2 colors). how do I make a table border look
as it looks in internet explorer for firefox.

Thanks,

Post the URL and we'll have a look at your code.

miguelco01blue

here is the code:

cellspacing="0" bordercolor="#FF0066">
<th colspan="8" scope="col">&nbsp;</th>
<th colspan="4" scope="row">&nbsp;</th>
<th colspan="8" scope="row">&nbsp;</th>

Jim Higson

here is the code:

cellspacing="0" bordercolor="#FF0066">
<th colspan="8" scope="col">&nbsp;</th>
<th colspan="4" scope="row">&nbsp;</th>
<th colspan="8" scope="row">&nbsp;</th>

Just out of interrest, why have a table containing nothing but spaces?

Jonathan N. Little

here is the code:

cellspacing="0" bordercolor="#FF0066">
<th colspan="8" scope="col">&nbsp;</th>
<th colspan="4" scope="row">&nbsp;</th>
<th colspan="8" scope="row">&nbsp;</th>
That's because there really isn't an attribute 'bordercolor' for the
table element:

Tables in HTML documents
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/tables.html#edef-TABLE

Try styling it with CSS, For just the TABLE element

TABLE { border: 1px solid #FF0066 }

If you want the cell borders the same then:

TABLE, TH, TD { border: 1px solid #FF0066 }

Yes, you can have a different border surrounding the table than its
internal cells:

TABLE { border: 3px outset blue; }
TH, TD { border: 3px solid red; }

miguelco01blue

Thank you,

that really helps a lot, but I design using tables and I only want this
specific table to have the border. Its possible just to have and
specific table with the border?

JDS

I'm just placing this code as an example..

Well, post all of the actual code or a URL. In my experiene, people
posting "example" code often omit something important.

X l e c t r i c

(e-mail address removed) wrote:

"Thank you,

that really helps a lot, but I design using tables and I only want this
specific table to have the border. Its possible just to have and
specific table with the border?"

Yes it is.

In the example that Jonathan N. Little gave:

TABLE { border: 1px solid #FF0066 }

change the selector from TABLE to a class of your choosing that complies
with specification regarding class names
(http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/syndata.html#q4). For example you might use
something like .tableborder or table.tableborder, then you can add
class="tableborder" to the opening table tag.

Later, Art.

P.S. In case it doesn't show up in this post, there should be a
dot/period before tableborder and between table and border in the class
name examples I gave above.

Jonathan N. Little

Thank you,

that really helps a lot, but I design using tables and I only want this
specific table to have the border. Its possible just to have and
specific table with the border?

Use a class
..myClass { [styling stuff] }

Then ALL elements <element class="myClass">...
will have myClass's styling

or more specifically

#myId { [styling stuff] }

The ONE element with the id 'myId' <element id="myId">...
will have myId's styling

dorayme

From: (e-mail address removed)
Hi, i need some help..

I'm trying to make a table with a color border, and it works fine in
Internet explorer but in firefox looks different the border is not
consistent (it appears in 2 colors). how do I make a table border look
as it looks in internet explorer for firefox.

Try having no cellspacing (cellspacing="0"), use cellpadding
instead for a bit of grace. There are css equivalents but this
for now may get you out of trouble... I understand your
reluctance to post a url or give more details; you can't be too
careful in our world with the political situation...

dorayme

From: "Jonathan N. Little said:
That's because there really isn't an attribute 'bordercolor' for the
table element:

Tables in HTML documents
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/tables.html#edef-TABLE

Try styling it with CSS, For just the TABLE element

TABLE { border: 1px solid #FF0066 }

If you want the cell borders the same then:

TABLE, TH, TD { border: 1px solid #FF0066 }

Yes, you can have a different border surrounding the table than its
internal cells:

TABLE { border: 3px outset blue; }
TH, TD { border: 3px solid red; }

Strikes me that maybe another way to go for the OP is to have no
border at all on the table itself, just td borders, something I
do myself quite often. With or without cell spacing (done either
css or cellspacing ="#" in the <table...>. The OP can adapt your
good sounding advice to the td if he wants?

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme said:
Strikes me that maybe another way to go for the OP is to have no
border at all on the table itself, just td borders, something I
do myself quite often. With or without cell spacing (done either
css or cellspacing ="#" in the <table...>. The OP can adapt your
good sounding advice to the td if he wants?

Sure!

TABLE { border: 0; border-collapse: separate; border-spacing: 15px; }
TH, TD { border: 3px inset #ffd700; }

Like rows of little framed paintings ;-)

dorayme

From: "Jonathan N. Little said:
Sure!

TABLE { border: 0; border-collapse: separate; border-spacing: 15px; }
TH, TD { border: 3px inset #ffd700; }

Like rows of little framed paintings ;-)

Well, if that is what he might want. I do this myself /without/
any cellspacing and I get nice tables with borders - like a
simple spreadsheet. (I don't use this fancy border-collapse or
border spacing at all though, and my tables never seem to
suffer? Maybe I better post a table if this is all suspicious to
you? Maybe I will learn something. Maybe I better take a closer
look at what all the browsers are doing to my simple-minded (?)
tables)

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme said:
Well, if that is what he might want. I do this myself /without/
any cellspacing and I get nice tables with borders - like a
simple spreadsheet. (I don't use this fancy border-collapse or
border spacing at all though, and my tables never seem to
suffer? Maybe I better post a table if this is all suspicious to
you? Maybe I will learn something. Maybe I better take a closer
look at what all the browsers are doing to my simple-minded (?)
tables)

No, no, not suspicious as all. My only point was that you can control
the cellspacing, cellpadding and borders with CSS rather than with HTML
attributes. In fact you have more granularity of control.