Tabs versus Spaces in Source Code

Xah Lee

Tabs versus Spaces in Source Code

Xah Lee, 2006-05-13

In coding a computer program, there's often the choices of tabs or
spaces for code indentation. There is a large amount of confusion about
which is better. It has become what's known as “religious war†—
a heated fight over trivia. In this essay, i like to explain what is
the situation behind it, and which is proper.

Simply put, tabs is proper, and spaces are improper. Why? This may seem
ridiculously simple given the de facto ball of confusion: the semantics
of tabs is what indenting is about, while, using spaces to align code
is a hack.

Now, tech geekers may object this simple conclusion because they itch
to drivel about different editors and so on. The alleged problem
created by tabs as seen by the industry coders are caused by two
things: (1) tech geeker's sloppiness and lack of critical thinking
which lead them to not understanding the semantic purposes of tab and
space characters. (2) Due to the first reason, they have created and
propagated a massive none-understanding and mis-use, to the degree that
many tools (e.g. vi) does not deal with tabs well and using spaces to
align code has become widely practiced, so that in the end spaces seem
to be actually better by popularity and seeming simplicity.

In short, this is a phenomenon of misunderstanding begetting a snowball
of misunderstanding, such that it created a cultural milieu to embrace
this malpractice and kick what is true or proper. Situations like this
happens a lot in unix. For one non-unix example, is the file name's
suffix known as “extensionâ€, where the code of file's type became
part of the file name. (e.g. “.txtâ€, “.htmlâ€, “.jpgâ€).
Another well-known example is HTML practices in the industry, where
badly designed tags from corporation's competitive greed, and stupid
coding and misunderstanding by coders and their tools are so
wide-spread such that they force the correct way to the side by the
eventual standardization caused by sheer quantity of inproper but set
practice.

Now, tech geekers may still object, that using tabs requires the
editors to set their positions, and plain files don't carry that
information. This is a good question, and the solution is to advance
the sciences such that your source code in some way embed such
information. This would be progress. However, this is never thought of
because the “unix philosophies†already conditioned people to hack
and be shallow. In this case, many will simply use the character
intended to separate words for the purpose of indentation or alignment,
and spread the practice with militant drivels.

Now, given the already messed up situation of the tabs vs spaces by the
unixers and unix brain-washing of the coders in the industry... Which
should we use today? I do not have a good proposition, other than just
use whichever that works for you but put more critical thinking into
things to prevent mishaps like this.

Tabs vs Spaces can be thought of as parameters vs hard-coded values, or
HTML vs ascii format, or XML/CSS vs HTML 4, or structural vs visual, or
semantic vs format. In these, it is always easy to convert from the
former to the latter, but near impossible from the latter to the
former. And, that is because the former encodes information that is
lost in the latter. If we look at the issue of tabs vs spaces, indeed,
it is easy to convert tabs to spaces in a source code, but more
difficult to convert from spaces to tabs. Because, tabs as indentation
actually contains the semantic information about indentation. With
spaces, this critical information is lost in space.

This issue is intimately related to another issue in source code:
soft-wrapped lines versus physical, hard-wrapped lines by EOL (end of
line character). This issue has far more consequences than tabs vs
spaces, and the unixer's unthinking has made far-reaching damages in
the computing industry. Due to unix's EOL ways of thinking, it has
created languages based on EOL (just about ALL languages except the
Lisp family and Mathematica) and tools based on EOL (cvs, diff, grep,
and basically every tool in unix), thoughts based on EOL (software
value estimation by counting EOL, hard-coded email quoting system by
“>†prefix, and silent line-truncations in many unix tools), such
that any progress or development towards a “algorithmic code unitâ€
concept or language syntaxes are suppressed. I have not written a full
account on this issue, but i've touched it in this essay: “The Harm
of hard-wrapping Linesâ€, at
http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/writ/hard-wrap.html
----
This post is archived at:
http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/writ/tabs_vs_spaces.html

Xah
(e-mail address removed)
∑ http://xahlee.org/

Eli Gottlieb

Actually, spaces are better for indenting code. The exact amount of
space taken up by one space character will always (or at least tend to
be) the same, while every combination of keyboard driver, operating
system, text editor, content/file format, and character encoding all
change precisely what the tab key does.

There's no use in typing "tab" for indentation when my text editor will
simply convert it to three spaces, or worse, autoindent and mix tabs
with spaces so that I have no idea how many actual whitespace characters
of what kinds are really taking up all that whitespace. I admit it
doesn't usually matter, but then you go back to try and make your code
prettier and find yourself asking "WTF?"

Undoubtedly adding the second spark to the holy war,
Eli

Bryan

Xah said:
Tabs versus Spaces in Source Code

Xah Lee, 2006-05-13

In coding a computer program, there's often the choices of tabs or
spaces for code indentation. There is a large amount of confusion about
which is better. It has become what's known as “religious war†—
a heated fight over trivia. In this essay, i like to explain what is
the situation behind it, and which is proper.

Simply put, tabs is proper, and spaces are improper. Why? This may seem
ridiculously simple given the de facto ball of confusion: the semantics
of tabs is what indenting is about, while, using spaces to align code
is a hack.

i agree, tabs is proper and i always use the tab key to indent... it puts in 4
spaces.

Edward Elliott

Eli said:
Actually, spaces are better for indenting code. The exact amount of
space taken up by one space character will always (or at least tend to
be) the same, while every combination of keyboard driver, operating
system, text editor, content/file format, and character encoding all
change precisely what the tab key does.

What you see as tabs' weakness is their strength. They encode '1 level of
indentation', not a fixed width. Of course tabs are rendered differently
by different editors -- that's the point. If you like indentation to be 2
or 3 or 7 chars wide, you can view your preference without forcing it on
the rest of the world. It's a logical rather than a fixed encoding.

There's no use in typing "tab" for indentation when my text editor will
simply convert it to three spaces, or worse, autoindent and mix tabs
with spaces so that I have no idea how many actual whitespace characters
of what kinds are really taking up all that whitespace. I admit it
doesn't usually matter, but then you go back to try and make your code
prettier and find yourself asking "WTF?"

Sounds like the problem is your editor, not tabs. But I wouldn't rule out
PEBCAK either. ;)

Undoubtedly adding the second spark to the holy war,

Undoubtedly. Let's keep it civil, shall we? And please limit the
cross-posting to a minimum. (directed at the group, not you personally
Eli).

John McMonagle

Personally, I don't think it matters whether you use tabs or spaces for
code indentation. As long as you are consistent and do not mix the two.

David Steuber

Spaces work better. Hitting the TAB key in my Emacs will auto-indent
the current line. Only spaces will be used for fill. The worst thing
you can do is mix the two regardless of how you feel about tab vs
space.

The next step in evil is to give tab actual significance like in
make.

Xah Lee is getting better at trolling. He might fill up Google's
storage.

jmcgill

If I work on your project, I follow the coding and style standards you
specify.

Likewise if you work on my project you follow the established standards.

Fortunately for you, I am fairly liberal on such matters.

I like to see 4 spaces for indentation. If you use tabs, that's what I
will see, and you're very likely to have your code reformatted by the
automated build process, when the standard copyright header is pasted
and missing javadoc tags are generated as warnings.

I like the open brace to start on the line of the control keyword. I
can deal with the open brace being on the next line, at the same level
of indentation as the control keyword. I don't quite understand the
motivation behind the GNU style, where the brace itself is treated as a
half-indent, but I can live with it on *your* project.

Any whitespace or other style that isn't happy to be reformatted
automatically is an error anyway.

I'd be very laissez-faire about it except for the fact that code
repositories are much easier to manage if everything is formatted before
it goes in, or as a compromise, as a step at release tags.

Harry George

Edward Elliott said:
What you see as tabs' weakness is their strength. They encode '1 level of
indentation', not a fixed width. Of course tabs are rendered differently
by different editors -- that's the point. If you like indentation to be 2
or 3 or 7 chars wide, you can view your preference without forcing it on
the rest of the world. It's a logical rather than a fixed encoding.

[snip]

This has been discussed repeatedly, and the answer is "If you only
work alone, never use anyone else's code and no one ever uses your
codes, then do as you please. Otherwise use tab-is-4-spaces."

When you do Agile Programming with people using emacs, vim, nedit,
xedit, wordpad, eclipse, and who knows what else, the 4-spaces rule is
necessary for survival.

The reason is simple: People get confused, and accidentally get the
wrong tab indents when they move among editors or among settings on
the same editor. In most languages this is an irritation, requiring
some cleanup. In Python it is a disaster requiring re-inventing the
coded algorithms.

Mumia W.

Xah said:
Tabs versus Spaces in Source Code

Xah Lee, 2006-05-13

In coding a computer program, there's often the choices of tabs or
spaces for code indentation. There is a large amount of confusion about
which is better. It has become what's known as “religious war†—
a heated fight over trivia. In this essay, i like to explain what is
the situation behind it, and which is proper.

Thanks Xah. I value your posts. Keep posting. And since your posts
usually cover broad areas of CS, keep crossposting. Don't go anywhere
Xah :)

Simply put, tabs is proper, and spaces are improper. Why? This may seem
ridiculously simple given the de facto ball of confusion: the semantics
of tabs is what indenting is about, while, using spaces to align code
is a hack.

I wouldn't say that spaces are a hack, but tabs are superior.
Now, tech geekers may object this simple conclusion because they itch
to drivel about different editors and so on. The alleged problem
created by tabs as seen by the industry coders are caused by two
things: (1) tech geeker's sloppiness and lack of critical thinking
which lead them to not understanding the semantic purposes of tab and
space characters. (2) Due to the first reason, they have created and
propagated a massive none-understanding and mis-use, to the degree that
many tools (e.g. vi) does not deal with tabs well and using spaces to
align code has become widely practiced, so that in the end spaces seem
to be actually better by popularity and seeming simplicity.

Don't forget the laziness of programmers like me who don't put the
tabbing information in the source file. Vim deals with tabs well IMO,
but I almost never used to put the right auto-commands in the file to
get it set up right for other users.
[...]

Vim does this. We just have to use it.
> This would be progress. However, this is never thought of
because the “unix philosophies†already conditioned people to hack
and be shallow. In this case, many will simply use the character
intended to separate words for the purpose of indentation or alignment,
and spread the practice with militant drivels.

Now, given the already messed up situation of the tabs vs spaces by the
unixers and unix brain-washing of the coders in the industry... Which
should we use today? I do not have a good proposition, other than just
use whichever that works for you but put more critical thinking into
things to prevent mishaps like this.

Tabs vs Spaces can be thought of as parameters vs hard-coded values, or
HTML vs ascii format, or XML/CSS vs HTML 4, or structural vs visual, or
semantic vs format. In these, it is always easy to convert from the
former to the latter, but near impossible from the latter to the
former. And, that is because the former encodes information that is
lost in the latter.

Nope. Conversion is relatively easy. I've written programs to do this
myself, and everyone and his brother has also done this. Virtually every
programmer's editor that I've ever used can do this, and a great, great
many independent programs convert tabs to spaces. It's like saying,
"it's near impossible to write a calculator program." :)

I bet that someone has a Perl one-liner to do it.

On any Debian system, try a "man expand" and see what you find. Also,
emacs and vim do it. Perl has a Text::Tabs module. TCL's
::textutil::(un)?tabify routines do it. The birds do it, and the bees do
it. Oh wait, that's something else :)
> If we look at the issue of tabs vs spaces, indeed,
it is easy to convert tabs to spaces in a source code, but more
difficult to convert from spaces to tabs.

Nope again. It's easy, you just keep track of the virtual character
position as you decide whether to write a space or a tab. Computers do
the "counting" thing fairly well.
> Because, tabs as indentation
actually contains the semantic information about indentation. With
spaces, this critical information is lost in space.

This issue is intimately related to another issue in source code:
soft-wrapped lines versus physical, hard-wrapped lines by EOL (end of
line character). This issue has far more consequences than tabs vs
spaces, and the unixer's unthinking has made far-reaching damages in
the computing industry. Due to unix's EOL ways of thinking, it has
created languages based on EOL (just about ALL languages except the
Lisp family and Mathematica) and tools based on EOL (cvs, diff, grep,
and basically every tool in unix), thoughts based on EOL (software
value estimation by counting EOL, hard-coded email quoting system by
“>†prefix, and silent line-truncations in many unix tools), such
that any progress or development towards a “algorithmic code unitâ€
concept or language syntaxes are suppressed. I have not written a full
account on this issue, but i've touched it in this essay: “The Harm
of hard-wrapping Linesâ€, at
http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/writ/hard-wrap.html
----
This post is archived at:
http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/writ/tabs_vs_spaces.html

Xah
(e-mail address removed)
∑ http://xahlee.org/

I've never thought of tabs-vs-spaces as a religious war. Anyway, the
authority of the programming environment will determine which one is
used. Have a good week Xah.

Peter Decker

The problem comes when the author prefers a smaller tab width than what my
editor is set to. Sure, I could change it for that file, but what if I'm
reading a whole directory? Sure, I could change the default setting in my
editor, but what if I'm browsing multiple projects in the same day? Sure, I
could find a way to set the tab width based on the directory I'm currently
in, but by now I'm annoyed and simply replacing tabs with spaces is a far
simpler solution that requires zero configuration on my part.

Funny, I was going to say that the problem is when the author prefers
a font with a differntly-sized space. Some of us got rid of editing in
fixed-width fonts when we left Fortran.

Edward Elliott

Harry said:
This has been discussed repeatedly, and the answer is "If you only
work alone, never use anyone else's code and no one ever uses your
codes, then do as you please.

The answer is "Do what works best for your project". Smart people can agree
on and use whatever convention they want without trouble. The key is
consistency.
Otherwise use tab-is-4-spaces."

Tab is not 4 spaces. Tab is 1 level of indentation. The confusion that
tabs equals some fixed width, or can/should be set to some fixed width, is
the entire problem hampering their use. It implies that conversion between
tabs and spaces is straightforward when it is not. They are not comparable
entities.
When you do Agile Programming with people using emacs, vim, nedit,
xedit, wordpad, eclipse, and who knows what else, the 4-spaces rule is
necessary for survival.

IOW reward programmers for being sloppy and using poor tools. Anyone who
programs in wordpad/xedit has far bigger problems than worrying about tabs
vs spaces (as do projects who let people program in wordpad/xedit).
Editors which are designed for programming handle tabs and spaces cleanly.
The reason is simple: People get confused, and accidentally get the
wrong tab indents when they move among editors or among settings on
the same editor.

Sounds like PEBCAK to me. :) If everyone uses tabs for indent, then it
doesn't matter if Joe's vim showed them as 3 spaces while Mary's emacs
showed them at 6. You can't get the 'wrong tab indents' when everything is
a tab indent. Mixing tabs and spaces is where you get problems.
In most languages this is an irritation, requiring
some cleanup. In Python it is a disaster requiring re-inventing the
coded algorithms.

Use the -tt flag to the Python interpreter and you'll catch inconsistencies
immediately. Voila, no disaster. Again, you're not complaining about
using tabs, you're complaining about mixing tabs and spaces. I completely
agree with you that the latter is way too much hassle to even attempt.

All I'm saying is that using tabs on their own is perfectly viable and a bit
cleaner. I'm not trying to force that preference on anyone else, just get
everyone to recognize that one is just as rational and salubrious as the
other.

Brian Quinlan

Edward said:
Tab is not 4 spaces. Tab is 1 level of indentation. The confusion that
tabs equals some fixed width, or can/should be set to some fixed width, is
the entire problem hampering their use. It implies that conversion between
tabs and spaces is straightforward when it is not. They are not comparable
entities.

The problem with tabs is that people use tabs for alignment e.g.

def foo():
->query = """SELECT *
-> -> -> FROM sometable
-> -> -> WHERE condition"""

Now I change my editor to use 8-space tabs and the code is all messed
up. Of course, a very disciplined group of people could be trained to
never use tabs except to align with the current block level but, in
practice, that doesn't work. Therefore tabs are bad.

Cheers,
Brian

Peter Decker

The problem with tabs is that people use tabs for alignment e.g.

def foo():
->query = """SELECT *
-> -> -> FROM sometable
-> -> -> WHERE condition"""

Now I change my editor to use 8-space tabs and the code is all messed
up. Of course, a very disciplined group of people could be trained to
never use tabs except to align with the current block level but, in
practice, that doesn't work. Therefore tabs are bad.

And those of us who hate cutesy alignment like that think that people
who do it are therefore bad.

Spaces look like crap, too, when using proportional fonts.

gregarican

Peter said:
Funny, I was going to say that the problem is when the author prefers
a font with a differntly-sized space. Some of us got rid of editing in
fixed-width fonts when we left Fortran.

Don't know what all of the hub-bub here is regarding tab/space
indentation. My punched cards break down such matters as in quite fine
fashion :-/

Edward Elliott

Brian said:
The problem with tabs is that people use tabs for alignment e.g.

def foo():
->query = """SELECT *
-> -> -> FROM sometable
-> -> -> WHERE condition"""

Sure it's a problem. When programmers do bad things, what is your response?
Slap his nose and say 'Bad, don't do that'? Or take away his toys so he
can't do that? Therein lies your answer to tabs or spaces. Both are
rational.
Of course, a very disciplined group of people could be trained to
never use tabs except to align with the current block level but, in
practice, that doesn't work. Therefore tabs are bad.

Consistency is always hard for people and easy for machines. If you make it
a machine task instead of a people task, it can easily work in practice,
just like Python easily enforces no mixing of tabs and spaces with the -tt
flag. Get editors that use different (background) colors for tabs and
spaces so you can easily pick them out even when the above alignment
problem isn't noticeable. Use editors that automatically pick the right
character when indenting: tabs to the level of indentation of the current
block, then spaces afterward for line continuations. Run the code through
parsers that detect and flag inconsistencies on check-in.

If such tools are lacking, use substitutes in the meantime. Don't allow any
code to be checked in where a line departs more than one tab indentation
level from its neighbors. It's not perfect, but it eliminates the worst
offenses. Good enough often is.

Not saying you should do this, just pointing out how tabs are viable.

Peter Decker

If such tools are lacking, use substitutes in the meantime. Don't allow any
code to be checked in where a line departs more than one tab indentation
level from its neighbors. It's not perfect, but it eliminates the worst
offenses. Good enough often is.

I've recently adopted the Dabo convention of using two indent levels
to indicate continued lines, which helps distinguish such lines from
the indented blocks below them. But other than that case, one tab it
is!

achates

Harry said:
The reason is simple: People get confused, and accidentally get the
wrong tab indents when they move among editors or among settings on
the same editor.

People certainly do get confused. I'm always amazed that so many
people, even amongst those who manage to make a living out of writing
software, are unable to grasp the concept of a tab. But then a lot of
code is badly written, so maybe it figures.

A tab is not equivalent to a number of spaces. It is a character
signifying an indent, just like the newline character signifies the end
of a line. If your editor automatically converts tabs to spaces (i.e.
you are unable to create source files containing tabs) then either it's
broken or you have misconfigured it. Either way you probably shouldn't
be using it to write code.

Duncan Booth

achates said:
A tab is not equivalent to a number of spaces. It is a character
signifying an indent, just like the newline character signifies the end
of a line. If your editor automatically converts tabs to spaces (i.e.
you are unable to create source files containing tabs) then either it's
broken or you have misconfigured it. Either way you probably shouldn't
be using it to write code.

That is true so far as it goes, but equally if your editor inserts a tab
character when you press the tab key it is as broken as though it inserted
a backspace character when you press the backspace key. In both of these
cases you have an operation (move to next tabstop, move back one space) and
an ascii control character which is intended to reflect that operation when
rendering the file to an output device.

An editor should be capable of letting you create or modify files
containing control characters without gratuitously corrupting them, but the
keys should perform the expected operations not insert the characters.

Sybren Stuvel

Duncan Booth enlightened us with:
That is true so far as it goes, but equally if your editor inserts a
tab character when you press the tab key it is as broken as though
it inserted a backspace character when you press the backspace key.
In both of these cases you have an operation (move to next tabstop,
move back one space) and an ascii control character which is
intended to reflect that operation when rendering the file to an
output device.

That all depends on the setting of your editor. After all, a TAB
character could be the proper control character for the operation
'move to the next tabstop'.
An editor should be capable of letting you create or modify files
containing control characters without gratuitously corrupting them,
but the keys should perform the expected operations

I agree with that.
not insert the characters.

But not with that, since it is contradicting. "Inserting the
characters" could very well be the same as "performing the expected
operations".

Sybren