TARFU: 2.0 Data Controls

clintonG

The Website Administration Tool -- POS that it is -- and the
CreateUserWizard -- and presumably other controls -- do not record data to
the database using system time. They record data using Greenwich time. Thus,
if your web server's system is configured for GMT (-06:00) Central Time the
2.0 controls will record all database entries 6 hours into the future. This
behavior has been confirmed by another developer who has a -2 hour offset.

I've worked on this issue for weeks trying to discuss this issue with other
peers seeking their confirmation or arguements to the contrart but by and
large have been ignored. Thanks a lot.

I've looked for documentation high and low and I've posted to MSDN Product
Feedback with no official confirmation other than some Microsoft weasel
claiming this is "By Design" while providing no documentation regarding this
issue.

This is not sitting too well with me and if it is an issue that I simply
didn't know any better I sure do not appreciate being left hanging like an
ignoramous. AFIK all database entries have by convention used system time
when new records are added to the database.

So is there some kind of Date and Time compensation class in the 2.0
framework or are we supposed to write our own New World Order Date and Time
classes?

<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
URL http://metromilwaukee.com/