Is it true only 6 people are using 2.0?

Lau Lei Cheong

Firstly, not everyone need to ask questions here. I think the documentations
are good enough that except for a really difficult part, most people can
manage to use them without assistance of the others.

Secondly, it's still in beta so most company may still just "planning" to
use it.

Finally, for lots of company, why risk "upgrade" to a new release when the
current code is working and stable? So I believe most current website will
just stick with what they're using now, much like when the world changed
from ASP to ASP.NET.

Juan T. Llibre

Is a non-constructive attitude your goal, Clinton ?

Don't be a nattering nabob of negativism.

;-)

Kevin Spencer

Don't be a nattering nabob of negativism.

Shades of Spiro Agnew!

I happen to be doing almost all of my current development using 2.0. Only
legacy apps are being maintained in 1.1 at my shop. After all, November is
only a little over a month away. AND there are some awesome improvements and
additions in the new .Net platform.

One which everyone here may find encouraging is the
System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient, which replaces the older
System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail class. The older version is basically a wrapper for
CDOSYS, and people have had quite a bit of trouble with it, particularly
because it doesn't report exception details (and has very few features). The
new one is pure managed code, can use Authentication, Network Credentials,
Client Certificates, SSL, can be configured using a web.config or app.config
file, uses various delivery methods, can send asynchronously, and has very
detailed exception reporting.

Generics are also an incredible powerhouse. And there's a heck of a lot
more. The new ASP.Net has MasterPages (which, of course, almost everyone has
heard about), and a whole slew of other improvements, such as being able to
host and debug ASP.Net apps without a web server, writable configuration
files, etc.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
I'd rather be a hammer than a nail.

Kevin Spencer

Hey dude, it takes time to get used to the new stuff! I've been working with
it for a number of months, but haven't either had much need to ask any
questions (I'm very good at research), nor expected that many of them could
be answered as of yet!

I'm totally in love with the .Net platform 2.0. Have you been playing with
it any?

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
I'd rather be a hammer than a nail.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
I happen to be doing almost all of my current development using 2.0. Only legacy apps
are being maintained in 1.1 at my shop.

Same here.

I haven't done any new development in 1.1 since Beta 2 was introduced.

JIMCO Software

Kevin said:
Shades of Spiro Agnew!

I happen to be doing almost all of my current development using 2.0.
Only legacy apps are being maintained in 1.1 at my shop. After all,
November is only a little over a month away. AND there are some
awesome improvements and additions in the new .Net platform.

VS.NET 2005 has some really cool new features too. Among my favorites is
refactoring.

--
Jim Cheshire
JIMCO Software

FrontPage add-ins for FrontPage 2000 - 2003

Scott Allen

2.0 is so "yesterday". We've all moved our production work to the
Atlas preview bits and C# 3.0 compiler.

Kevin Spencer

Absolutely! Refactoring is a real productivity enhancer. And that reminds me
of the new code commenting. Talk about standards! Previous versions produced
HTML documentation. The new version produces XML documentation. You just
create an XSLT Style sheet, and it can be displayed as HTML in any format
you choose. And you can create your own custom commenting tags as well!
Great stuff for team development.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
I'd rather be a hammer than a nail.

John Timney \(ASP.NET MVP\)

I'm only developing in 2.0 now..........legacy support in 1.1 continues.

--
Regards

John Timney
ASP.NET MVP
Microsoft Regional Director

Juan T. Llibre

Nah...

What's happening is that 2.0 is so much better/easier to use than
previous versions, that there's no need to ask that many questions.

;-)

Kevin Spencer

do you need a smilie to recognize a joke ?

Nah, a mirror is always handy. ;-)

--

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
I'd rather be a hammer than a nail.

clintonG

Yea I agree for the most part which is why I took a risk and put all of my
cards on the table by adopting 2.0 ASAP at a time when there is a concerted
effort by local politicians to squat on my domain name and try to put me out
of business. It does help if a real understanding of OOP and 1.1 were
acquired before adopting 2.0 and I'm very close to really mastering OOP but
still need peer support on what seems to be a too frequent basis.

<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
URL http://metromilwaukee.com/

clintonG

Call out the calvary! da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-daaaaaaaa
Did I miss a note?

<%= Clinton Gallagher

John Timney \(ASP.NET MVP\)

dog bless him