Target options

brucie

in post: <
Duende said:
Yup. Images for sale.
I just put big red text across them until they pay.

my batch image thingy can do that easily
No problem there except they don't all have the same height to width
ratio.

icky. what if they're all given the same sized background

you may have to find someone else to do it then. whats the religion?
You mean the squashy mush.

yeah, its like a sponge the more holes in it the more it can hold.

Duende

While sitting in a puddle brucie scribbled in the mud:
yeah, its like a sponge the more holes in it the more it can hold.

holes are full of mold & all pluged up

Jeff Thies

Will the popup blockers block the TARGER=_blank also?
I would say that most would block that before anything else.

Really? I would very much doubt that.

I know for a fact that NS7 built in blocker does not. I think most popup
blockers simply substitute their own window.open function. Link targeting is
certainly not javascript!

Jeff

Blinky the Shark

brucie said:
in post: <Michael Wilcox <[email protected]> said:
yep, cant live without it
no, a program to can do all sorts of fun 'n giggly things to images
either individually or in bulk. to add text across 1000 images (and do
whatever else i wanted) then resave them would only take a few seconds.

For those with interest in such things -- here, from what I see at atalasoft,
is a similar suite that I've used but am far from expert with:

http://www.imagemagick.org/

Will

Mark said:
Yes, it does. :) As brucie said, though, more people are likely to
leave because you use popups than because you don't.
Man, don't be afraid to be honest. Just kidding. I can take it. I am
learning as I go so I know there is lots of room to learn and lots
useful help out there. I will take the help.
I would say that most would block that before anything else. But most
will block Javascript popups too.
I have been wanting to stay away from javascript because it is client
side. Is there any reason at all I should ever look into learning it?
It looks like Brucie's pages are all in php. That is good for me
because that is what I have been looking into.
brucie's butterflies is a good solution, but it will depend on the
actual application...

Those are links? It took me a while to work that out. I think maybe it
looked too much like the Google ads, so I automatically ignored it.

Hmmm, while I'm here -

A bit of deprecated markup. Use CSS.
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Why_use_CSS

Tables (ab)used for layout.
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts

Once you've done that, add a doctype (preferably Strict) and validate
your HTML. Your CSS has a couple of errors, too.
http://validator.w3.org/
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

You're wasting over a third of my available canvas.
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign
I have glanced over these. I will be looking at them in more depth.
Thanks for point me in that direction.
Justified text is hard to read. And looks really bad, e.g. on "Tips and
Links":
Austin Home Builders Association -
etc.
What browser are you using? It looks fine to me in Netscape7.1 and IE6.0.
I do like the site, BTW. It has a nice look and feel. :)
Thanks, but with the suggestions I am getting I will be improving it.

The top image,
"Austin Home and Garden Directory" seems a bit fuzzy. Not sure whether
it is just my monitor, though.
It has looked good on any screen I have ever seen it on so I am hoping
it is your monitor. I am kind of proud of the graphic. I did it
myself. I am stumbling through PhotoShop as well as web design.
I think that brucie's solution would probably work for you. You'd have
to customise the look of it to a degree, of course, but I think you
could do it.

While you're at it, check out http://balls.bruciesusenetshit.info/ for
another take on the same idea. :)
I will be trying it out to see if I can get something like that working.
I like that solutions much better than another window. See, it
didn't take much to convince me. I just have to figure out how to do it
now.

Will

brucie said:
in post: <

i'm still a lazy shit but due to a few whinges emailing me its now
commented.
I didn't email you but I sure do appreciate it. It will be very
helpful. Great work by the way.

spaghetti

I am wondering what options I have to do the following. When someone
clicks on a thumbnail another smaller window opens with the full size
image and other info such as contact info, website link, etc. related to
the image. I have seen this done in javascript but I am looking for
other ways to do it. If I use the _blank option can I add other
information to the window?

I know your question has been answered or whatever, but here's an
accessible way to use popups. If a user has popup killing on their browser
or simply doesn't want popups, it will just show the links as regular
links.

http://alistapart.com/articles/popuplinks/

Mark Parnell

I have been wanting to stay away from javascript because it is client
side. Is there any reason at all I should ever look into learning it?

Certainly not for opening new windows. :) Javascript can be useful, as
long as you only use it for "bells and whistles" - don't ever use it in
a way that means the site is not usable without it.

I know next to nothing about Javascript, and it is not something I have
ever felt the need to look into. Maybe one day.
It looks like Brucie's pages are all in php. That is good for me
because that is what I have been looking into.

Definitely much better to do it all server-side. :)
What browser are you using? It looks fine to me in Netscape7.1 and IE6.0.

Moz 1.7a. Looks much the same here in Opera. It seems to be because of
font size. I have my fonts set fairly large - on yours does it all fit
on one line? E.g. "Austin Home Builders Association - [link]"? Justified
text is hard to read anyway, especially on screen.

BTW: I noticed you have specified font sizes in px - not sure whether
anyone has mentioned that yet. Use % or em for font sizes, not px or pt.
IE has a bug that doesn't allow users to resize the text if it is
specified in px or pt.
It has looked good on any screen I have ever seen it on so I am hoping
it is your monitor.

Looking at other stuff it looks like it probably is my monitor. Didn't
mean to scare you. :)

Whitecrest

Certainly not for opening new windows. :) Javascript can be useful, as
long as you only use it for "bells and whistles" - don't ever use it in
a way that means the site is not usable without it.

What if the site used an all dhtml menu (or flash menu, your choice),
but also, in (say) a footer, they included links to popular pages on the
site, as well as a link to a complete site map.

Would you consider that a solution?

Mark Parnell

What if the site used an all dhtml menu (or flash menu, your choice),
but also, in (say) a footer, they included links to popular pages on the
site, as well as a link to a complete site map.

Would you consider that a solution?

Not an ideal solution, but at least the site would still be usable.
Drop-down menus can be done using normal links so that when Javascript
is unavailable the links still work, so no alternate navigation is
necessary. Flash obviously can't, but providing a normal HTML
alternative would mean the visitor can still use the site, which is the
main thing.