Telnet http commands (OT?)

laurent.herve23

Hi all,

I'm not authoring web pages, my apologies if it is OT :

i have troubles to retrieve the http://www.lemonde.fr
main page throught telnet. I tried to understand this site
but intellitamper crashes, i did also a scan with Angry
Ip scanner to see all actives ports. But really...
When i use Netcat with HTTP/1.1 and just 2 basic headers
like Host and Connection (Close) i'm redirected to the
same page i just want to pipe to stdout ! how is that
possible ...? otherways when i try to open the
tag.lemonde.fr in telnet i get a 302 : this page has moved,
but when i open the same page in Firefox it get the
site (i guess the index.html)
- how can i see wht IP my browser is just working on ?

To add a few explanations, i have a very small DOS
computer wich has only a HTML viewer but there is no
good browser available (the hplx), therefore i wanted
to GET some pages manually with telnet.

for the moment i can't get the " / " page manually
that's the problem, at least on this site.

thanks for any help,

laurent hervé

Toby Inkster

laurent.herve23 said:
i have troubles to retrieve the http://www.lemonde.fr
main page throught telnet. [...] otherways when i try to open the
tag.lemonde.fr in telnet i get a 302 : this page has moved,

[tai@ophelia (pts/0) ~]$ telnet tag.lemonde.fr 80
Trying 193.149.121.10...
Connected to tag.lemonde.fr (193.149.121.10).
Escape character is '^]'.
HEAD / HTTP/1.1
Host: tag.lemonde.fr

HTTP/1.1 302 Found
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 07:46:43 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.27 (Unix)
Location: http://www.lemonde.fr/
Connection: close

Connection closed by foreign host.
[tai@ophelia (pts/0) ~]$ telnet www.lemonde.fr 80
Trying 84.45.224.6...
Connected to www.lemonde.fr (84.45.224.6).
Escape character is '^]'.
HEAD / HTTP/1.1
Host: www.lemonde.fr

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: Apache
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 07:47:12 GMT
Connection: keep-alive

Connection closed by foreign host.
[tai@ophelia (pts/0) ~]$

laurent.herve23

Ok thank you, but remains the fact that if i try to open the
www.lemonde.fr in a browser using the IP adress, i get :

C:\WINDOWS\Bureau\nc11nt>ping www.lemonde.fr

Envoi d'une requête 'ping' sur a245.g.akamai.net [212.37.204.38] avec
32 octets
de données :

====================================

http://212.37.204.38/

Invalid URL
The requested URL "/", is invalid.

Reference #9.22cc25d4.1132954414.0

laurent hervé

laurent.herve23

nice, i'm very newbie. thanks to firefox's live header extension
i can spec now what happens.

laurent hervé