Telnet http commands (OT?)

Discussion in 'HTML' started by laurent.herve23@libertysurf.fr, Nov 25, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hi all,

    I'm not authoring web pages, my apologies if it is OT :

    i have troubles to retrieve the http://www.lemonde.fr
    main page throught telnet. I tried to understand this site
    but intellitamper crashes, i did also a scan with Angry
    Ip scanner to see all actives ports. But really...
    When i use Netcat with HTTP/1.1 and just 2 basic headers
    like Host and Connection (Close) i'm redirected to the
    same page i just want to pipe to stdout ! how is that
    possible ...? otherways when i try to open the
    tag.lemonde.fr in telnet i get a 302 : this page has moved,
    but when i open the same page in Firefox it get the
    site (i guess the index.html)
    - how can i see wht IP my browser is just working on ?

    To add a few explanations, i have a very small DOS
    computer wich has only a HTML viewer but there is no
    good browser available (the hplx), therefore i wanted
    to GET some pages manually with telnet.

    for the moment i can't get the " / " page manually
    that's the problem, at least on this site.

    thanks for any help,

    laurent hervé

    , Nov 25, 2005

  2. Toby Inkster Guest

    laurent.herve23 wrote:

    > i have troubles to retrieve the http://www.lemonde.fr
    > main page throught telnet. [...] otherways when i try to open the
    > tag.lemonde.fr in telnet i get a 302 : this page has moved,

    [tai@ophelia (pts/0) ~]$ telnet tag.lemonde.fr 80
    Trying 193.149.121.10...
    Connected to tag.lemonde.fr (193.149.121.10).
    Escape character is '^]'.
    HEAD / HTTP/1.1
    Host: tag.lemonde.fr

    HTTP/1.1 302 Found
    Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 07:46:43 GMT
    Server: Apache/1.3.27 (Unix)
    Location: http://www.lemonde.fr/
    Connection: close

    Connection closed by foreign host.
    [tai@ophelia (pts/0) ~]$ telnet www.lemonde.fr 80
    Trying 84.45.224.6...
    Connected to www.lemonde.fr (84.45.224.6).
    Escape character is '^]'.
    HEAD / HTTP/1.1
    Host: www.lemonde.fr

    HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Server: Apache
    Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 07:47:12 GMT
    Connection: keep-alive

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Nov 25, 2005

    Ok thank you, but remains the fact that if i try to open the
    www.lemonde.fr in a browser using the IP adress, i get :

    C:\WINDOWS\Bureau\nc11nt>ping www.lemonde.fr

    Envoi d'une requête 'ping' sur a245.g.akamai.net [212.37.204.38] avec
    32 octets
    de données :

    ====================================

    http://212.37.204.38/

    Invalid URL
    The requested URL "/", is invalid.

    Reference #9.22cc25d4.1132954414.0

    =====================================

    laurent hervé

    , Nov 25, 2005
  4. wrote:

    > Ok thank you, but remains the fact that if i try to open the
    > www.lemonde.fr in a browser using the IP adress, i get :

    > The requested URL "/", is invalid.

    So presumably the server is configured to serve "www.lemonde.fr", but
    doesn't have a default site configured for when a Host header isn't
    specified.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Nov 25, 2005

    When i paste the IP adress of www.lemonde.fr in adress bar
    i get an error ...

    laurent hervé

    , Nov 26, 2005

    nice, i'm very newbie. thanks to firefox's live header extension
    i can spec now what happens.

    laurent hervé

    , Nov 26, 2005