text editor

Gregor Kopp

Dan said:
hey all, does anyone know where I can find a good text editor for code?

try vim (hard to learn)
cream (= vim, but easier to use)
emacs
mondrian ruby ide
jedit

par example

Rob Pitt

It's not an editor it's an IDE but I find eclipse with the RDT (ruby
development tools), subclipse and darcs plugins a great development
environment (especially under Fedora Core 4 where it is compiled
natively). Another bonus is eclipse works on pretty much all OS so
you can use it at home, at work, everywhere.

Tassilo Horn

Hi!
hey all, does anyone know where I can find a good text editor for
code?

There are millions of threads about this topic, but ok, here's a short,
incomplete list (assuming you want to code Ruby):

- Emacs[1] or XEmacs[2] or SXEmacs[3]
- Vim[4]
- Kate[5]
- Eclipse[6] with RDT[7]
- Scite[8]
- Freeride[9]
- ...
- Paper & Pencil[10]

Which one you choose depends on your platform and your personal
preference.

Regards,
Tassilo

Footnotes:
[1] www.gnu.org/software/emacs
[2] www.xemacs.org
[3] www.sxemacs.org
[4] www.vim.org
[5] kate.kde.org
[6] www.eclipse.org
[7] rubyeclipse.sourceforge.net
[8] www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html
[9] rubyforge.org/projects/freeride
[10] your desktops drawer

Karl von Laudermann

Erik said:
NOTEPAD.EXE

Notepad isn't a good text editor for *anything*. While it's true that
as of Windows XP they made a giant leap forward is usability by finally
adding a keyboard shortcut for File->Save, Notepad still can't perform
such complicated tasks as, say, handling files with Unix line endings.
Don't even *think* of hoping for such advanced far-future Star Trek era
Artificial Intelligence features such as syntax coloring or regex-based
search.

Mike

Karl said:
Notepad isn't a good text editor for *anything*. While it's true that
as of Windows XP they made a giant leap forward is usability by finally
adding a keyboard shortcut for File->Save, Notepad still can't perform
such complicated tasks as, say, handling files with Unix line endings.
Don't even *think* of hoping for such advanced far-future Star Trek era
Artificial Intelligence features such as syntax coloring or regex-based
search.

That's why I've replaced all my links to notepad.exe with notepad2.exe
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notepad2).

Basic/generic code highlighting, line numbering, regex search & replace.
While Ruby isn't one of the languages it was designed for, just being
able to see where the closing ), } or ] is is certainly helpful in long
or complicated lines.

Other than that... Small and light.

-M

Glenn Smith

------=_Part_10874_20672607.1141942154198

Crimson Editor, up until now, has been my favourite.
It still is, but development seems to have stopped (if that really is a
problem).
A good (free) alternative seems to be ConTEXT

code?

If you're on Linux, but coming from Windows, consider nedit.

Randy Kramer

--

All the best
Glenn

------=_Part_10874_20672607.1141942154198--

Daniel Baird

------=_Part_4918_26016471.1141951284009

Ditto with ConTEXT, I like it a lot. Windows only, so only use it if you'r=
un-cool, like me :) I like that whatever loony language I want to try out
next, there's a user-submitted ConTEXT syntax highlighter for it.

;Daniel

Crimson Editor, up until now, has been my favourite.
It still is, but development seems to have stopped (if that really is a
problem).
A good (free) alternative seems to be ConTEXT

--

All the best
Glenn
Aylesbury, UK

--
Daniel Baird
http://danielbaird.com (TiddlyW;nks! :: Whiteboard Koala :: Blog :: Things
That Suck)
[[My webhost uptime is ~ 92%.. if no answer pls call again later!]]

------=_Part_4918_26016471.1141951284009--

igor.sarzisartori

I use Window Xp and i have tried JEdit, SciTe, Cream/Vim, UltraEdit,
FreeIde and Eclipse, but sometimes I need a debugger too. Aracno Ide is
very fast and I use it also when I want to edit a simple script.
http://www.ruby-ide.com

jussij

The Zeus for Windows IDE:

http://www.zeusedit.com/features.html

It has programming specific features like code folding,
syntax highlighting, project/workspace mangement, ftp
editing, class browsing, scripting, integrated CVS etc.

Jussi Jumppanen
Author of: Zeus for Windows
NOTE: Zeus is shareware