text editor

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Dan, Mar 9, 2006.

  1. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Dan, Mar 9, 2006

  2. Dan

    Tyler Guest

    Tyler, Mar 9, 2006

  3. Dan

    Guest

    , Mar 9, 2006
  4. Dan

    Mark Rogers Guest

    If you are on Mac OSX, try subethaedit.

    Mark

    Mark Rogers, Mar 9, 2006
  5. Dan

    Gregor Kopp Guest

    Dan schrieb:
    > hey all, does anyone know where I can find a good text editor for code?

    try vim (hard to learn)
    cream (= vim, but easier to use)
    emacs
    mondrian ruby ide
    jedit

    par example

    Gregor Kopp, Mar 9, 2006
  6. Dan

    Rob Pitt Guest

    It's not an editor it's an IDE but I find eclipse with the RDT (ruby
    development tools), subclipse and darcs plugins a great development
    environment (especially under Fedora Core 4 where it is compiled
    natively). Another bonus is eclipse works on pretty much all OS so
    you can use it at home, at work, everywhere.

    Rob Pitt, Mar 9, 2006
  7. Dan

    Guest

    Dan,

    While everyone has their favorites, I'd like to recommend some of mine.
    If you're using Windows, I'd recommend:

    * SciTE - http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html - included if you grab
    the Ruby one click installer)
    * jEdit - http://www.jedit.org/
    * Dreamweaver 8 with RubyWeaver -
    http://www.ridingtheclutch.com/entry.cfm?id=58 (commercial of course)

    On Linux, I find it hard to beat Quanta. It comes with KDE, under the
    kdewebdev package.

    I hope this helps!

    --
    Robert Oliver
    http://www.rwoliver.com/

    , Mar 9, 2006
  8. > hey all, does anyone know where I can find a good text editor
    > for code?

    NOTEPAD.EXE

    gegroet,
    Erik V. - http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/

    Erik Veenstra, Mar 9, 2006
  9. Dan

    Tassilo Horn Guest

    Dan <> writes:

    Hi!

    > hey all, does anyone know where I can find a good text editor for
    > code?

    There are millions of threads about this topic, but ok, here's a short,
    incomplete list (assuming you want to code Ruby):

    - Emacs[1] or XEmacs[2] or SXEmacs[3]
    - Vim[4]
    - Kate[5]
    - Eclipse[6] with RDT[7]
    - Scite[8]
    - Freeride[9]
    - ...
    - Paper & Pencil[10]

    Which one you choose depends on your platform and your personal
    preference.

    Regards,
    Tassilo

    Footnotes:
    [1] www.gnu.org/software/emacs
    [2] www.xemacs.org
    [3] www.sxemacs.org
    [4] www.vim.org
    [5] kate.kde.org
    [6] www.eclipse.org
    [7] rubyeclipse.sourceforge.net
    [8] www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html
    [9] rubyforge.org/projects/freeride
    [10] your desktops drawer

    Tassilo Horn, Mar 9, 2006
  10. Andreas Wolff, Mar 9, 2006
  11. Erik Veenstra wrote:
    > > hey all, does anyone know where I can find a good text editor
    > > for code?

    > NOTEPAD.EXE

    Notepad isn't a good text editor for *anything*. While it's true that
    as of Windows XP they made a giant leap forward is usability by finally
    adding a keyboard shortcut for File->Save, Notepad still can't perform
    such complicated tasks as, say, handling files with Unix line endings.
    Don't even *think* of hoping for such advanced far-future Star Trek era
    Artificial Intelligence features such as syntax coloring or regex-based
    search.

    Karl von Laudermann, Mar 9, 2006
  12. Dan wrote:
    > hey all, does anyone know where I can find a good text editor for code?

    I like TextMate on OSX.

    Gareth

    Gareth Reeves, Mar 9, 2006
  13. Dan

    Mike Guest

    Karl von Laudermann wrote:
    > Notepad isn't a good text editor for *anything*. While it's true that
    > as of Windows XP they made a giant leap forward is usability by finally
    > adding a keyboard shortcut for File->Save, Notepad still can't perform
    > such complicated tasks as, say, handling files with Unix line endings.
    > Don't even *think* of hoping for such advanced far-future Star Trek era
    > Artificial Intelligence features such as syntax coloring or regex-based
    > search.

    That's why I've replaced all my links to notepad.exe with notepad2.exe
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notepad2).

    Basic/generic code highlighting, line numbering, regex search & replace.
    While Ruby isn't one of the languages it was designed for, just being
    able to see where the closing ), } or ] is is certainly helpful in long
    or complicated lines.

    Other than that... Small and light.

    -M

    Mike, Mar 9, 2006
  14. Dan

    Glenn Smith Guest

    ------=_Part_10874_20672607.1141942154198

    Crimson Editor, up until now, has been my favourite.
    It still is, but development seems to have stopped (if that really is a
    problem).
    A good (free) alternative seems to be ConTEXT

    --

    All the best
    Glenn

    ------=_Part_10874_20672607.1141942154198--

    Glenn Smith, Mar 9, 2006
  15. Dan

    Daniel Baird Guest

    ------=_Part_4918_26016471.1141951284009

    Ditto with ConTEXT, I like it a lot. Windows only, so only use it if you'r=
    un-cool, like me :) I like that whatever loony language I want to try out
    next, there's a user-submitted ConTEXT syntax highlighter for it.

    ;Daniel

    --
    Daniel Baird
    http://danielbaird.com (TiddlyW;nks! :: Whiteboard Koala :: Blog :: Things

    ------=_Part_4918_26016471.1141951284009--

    Daniel Baird, Mar 10, 2006
  16. Tyler wrote:
    > Dan wrote:
    >
    >> hey all, does anyone know where I can find a good text editor for code?
    >>

    > http://www.openedpc.com

    Emacs is a hard beat . Download a few extension modules and your off,
    color syntax, compiling, debugging all with out leaving the
    environment. I am teaching my Emacs to make breakfast.

    http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs.html

    Servando Garcia, Mar 10, 2006
  17. Dan

    Guest

    I use Window Xp and i have tried JEdit, SciTe, Cream/Vim, UltraEdit,
    FreeIde and Eclipse, but sometimes I need a debugger too. Aracno Ide is
    very fast and I use it also when I want to edit a simple script.
    http://www.ruby-ide.com

    , Mar 10, 2006
  18. Dan

    Guest

    The Zeus for Windows IDE:

    http://www.zeusedit.com/features.html

    It has programming specific features like code folding,
    syntax highlighting, project/workspace mangement, ftp
    editing, class browsing, scripting, integrated CVS etc.

    Jussi Jumppanen
    Author of: Zeus for Windows
    NOTE: Zeus is shareware

    , Mar 12, 2006