The "Ajax Frameworks" End

caston

Well, everybody can now agree with the fact that the Ajax hype is over.
Still multiple Ajax Frameworks are flourishing, aren't they?
So, last night I questioned myself with the following: "When Ajax
Frameworks will be gone? What is required to get rid of them and start
using browsers?" (To be more precise, I should probably also mention
what kind of frameworks do i mean. These are: Dojo, BackBase, Qooxdoo
etc.)
I've got an answer that I would like to discuss with people here.

My statement is: once IE has got a proper implementation of DOM-Level-3
and XBL (of course, w3c should first advance their drafts to
recommendations of all modules of these technologies)

Would anyone like to express their opinions on the topic? Does anybody
see any other missing base technologies that these frameworks are now
trying to fullfill?

Sergey Ilinsky

caston

Randy said:
caston said the following on 9/14/2006 4:12 AM:

Depends on who you ask and where you look.

"Get rid of them and start using browsers"?? You can't use AJAX without
a browser. But, start educating people on the better alternatives
(dynamically loading script files is a start) and you will see it start
to end.

A better answer would be along the lines of:

As soon as people realize there is a better/easier way than the so
called "AJAX" then the AJAX Craze will die. Or, another buzzword comes
along to trump it.

MSIE doesn't support xHTML and you want to tie the AJAX craze to MS
doing something in line with what the W3C has to say? Think about it.

See above :)

"missing base technologies"? The answer to that question depends on what
it is your are referring to as missing base technologies. The Web
survived before AJAX and it will survive after AJAX. It will just come
to an end quicker when people stop using it solely to be able to say
"Yeah, we use AJAX on our site".

--
Randy
Chance Favors The Prepared Mind

Well, I might have been not clear with the topic. I considered "Ajax
Frameworks" as libraries that deliver:
- set of enhanced user interaction controls (to enable "better" user
experience)
Future: controls implemented on XBL with XHTML/SVG/CSS
- api for cross-browser manipulation on browser DOM (in order to make
application logic not dependable on browser but on api)
Future: DOM-Level-3 (Core, Events. XPath)
- set of effects/transitions
Future: SMIL
- wrapper around XMLHttpRequest object
Present: native XMLHttpRequest object

So, conclusion: once everything marked as "Future" is implemented in
major browsers, Ajax Frameworks/Toolkits are useless!

Or?

Sergey Ilinsky/