Is AJAX server-side independent concept??

John

AJAX is a rich client-side technology that makes the web pages more
interactive. In practice, the same AJAX client-side code should be
unchanged, regardless of what server-side web technologies we use. I
guess this is same concept as traditional front-end plain html code
that can work with different server-side web technologies for back-end
processing. Similarly, AJAX should be server-side independent concept,
is that correct? But if this is the case, why there are different AJAX
frameworks available for different server-side web technologies such as
Java, PHP? We should simply just use generic AJAX server-side
independent framework for our AJAX-enabled web applications.

I wonder what server-side technologies that google maps/gmail use for
their AJAX front-end?? I guess google maps/gmail can be good AJAX
models to follow?? What do you think?

please advice & discuss.

Phrogz

John wrote:
[snip]
Similarly, AJAX should be server-side independent concept,
is that correct? But if this is the case, why there are different AJAX
frameworks available for different server-side web technologies such as
Java, PHP? We should simply just use generic AJAX server-side
independent framework for our AJAX-enabled web applications.
[snip]

Server-side technologies are used to serve up data.

Case A: Sometimes that data is consumed by a client-side HTTP request
made by JavaScript. In this case, there IS no distinguishing what is
used on the server side.

Case B: However, sometimes that data is consumed by a web browser and
interpreted as HTML+CSS+JS. In this case, the way that data is
generated changes based on the server technology.

Obviously (I think) it makes sense to have different AJAX frameworks
for case B. It's the framework creating the HTML+CSS+JS, not the
framework for communicating with the server after the page has been
loaded.

Are you possibly confusing the two cases in your mind?