The C++ Programming-Language, 3rd Ed. - complete book !

Discussion in 'C++' started by Harry Meier, Sep 1, 2003.

  1. Harry Meier

    Harry Meier Guest

    Just found it on the web by searching for significant parts of
    the book-text with google; use the following as a filelist for
    wget (wget -i filelistname):

    http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/title.pdf
    http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/npref.pdf
    http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/opref.pdf
    http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/pref.pdf
    http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/toc.pdf
    http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch1.pdf
    http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch2.pdf
    http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch3.pdf
    http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch4.pdf
    http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch5.pdf
    http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch6.pdf
    http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch7.pdf
    http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch8.pdf
    http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch9.pdf
    http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch10.pdf
    http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch11.pdf
    http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch12.pdf
    http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch13.pdf
    http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch14.pdf
    http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch15.pdf
    http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch16.pdf
    http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch17.pdf
    http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch18.pdf
    http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch19.pdf
    http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch20.pdf
    http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch21.pdf
    http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch22.pdf
    http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch23.pdf
    http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch24.pdf
    http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch25.pdf
    http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/appA.pdf
    http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/appB.pdf
    http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/appC.pdf
    http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/index.pdf
    http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/part0.pdf
    http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/part1.pdf
    http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/part2.pdf
    http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/part3.pdf
    http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/part4.pdf
    http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/partA.pdf

    Harry Meier, Sep 1, 2003

  2. Harry Meier

    Agent Scully Guest

    > The page cannot be found
    > The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed,
    > or is temporarily unavailable.

    Hmmm, seems that not all files are at their place,
    but the book seems pretty complete when you look under:
    http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/

    Agent Scully, Sep 2, 2003

  3. Harry Meier

    Agent Mulder Guest

    <Harry Meier>
    Just found it on the web by searching for significant parts of
    the book-text with google; use the following as a filelist for
    wget (wget -i filelistname):
    </Harry Meier>

    http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/toc.pdf

    The page cannot be found
    The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed,
    or is temporarily unavailable.

    ----

    Please try the following:

    Sorry Harry

    Agent Mulder, Sep 2, 2003
  4. Harry Meier

    Agent Mulder Guest

    Agent Mulder, Sep 2, 2003
  5. Agent Mulder wrote:

    > <Harry Meier>
    > Just found it on the web by searching for significant parts of
    > the book-text with google; use the following as a filelist for
    > wget (wget -i filelistname):
    > </Harry Meier>
    >

    > http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/toc.pdf
    >
    > The page cannot be found
    > The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed,
    > or is temporarily unavailable.

    > ----
    >
    > Please try the following:
    >
    > Sorry Harry

    This is the only section, so far, that I have been unable to download.
    The other chapters prompt you to buy the book.
    A copyright notice appears prominently on each one.

    My guess is that this is a bootleg copy
    and that distribution could get you into serious trouble
    with BS and his publishers.

    E. Robert Tisdale, Sep 2, 2003
  6. Harry Meier

    d2003xx Guest

  7. Please note that there are no freely downloadable copies of "The C++
    Programming Language". Any copy you might find is a copyright
    violation. If you have a copy accessible on your site, please remove
    it.

    Note further that the copies that you might find (naively, but often
    innocently offered) on the web are very early versions of the book
    lacking the corrections and clarifications found in post-1998
    printings. If you want to read TC++PL, do yourself a favor and use an
    up-to-date copy.

    For more information on C++ and TC++PL, see my home pages

    - Bjarne Stroustrup; http://www.research.att.com/~bs

    Bjarne Stroustrup, Sep 4, 2003
  8. Harry Meier

    Adam Fineman Guest

    Bjarne Stroustrup wrote:
    > Please note that there are no freely downloadable copies of "The C++
    > Programming Language". Any copy you might find is a copyright
    > violation. If you have a copy accessible on your site, please remove
    > it.
    > <snip>

    One would think that people who write software for a living would have a
    little more regard for intellectual property.

    Adam Fineman, Sep 4, 2003
  9. Harry Meier

    Noah Roberts Guest

    Bjarne Stroustrup wrote:
    > Please note that there are no freely downloadable copies of "The C++
    > Programming Language". Any copy you might find is a copyright
    > violation. If you have a copy accessible on your site, please remove
    > it.
    >
    > Note further that the copies that you might find (naively, but often
    > innocently offered) on the web are very early versions of the book
    > lacking the corrections and clarifications found in post-1998
    > printings. If you want to read TC++PL, do yourself a favor and use an
    > up-to-date copy.
    >
    > For more information on C++ and TC++PL, see my home pages
    >
    > - Bjarne Stroustrup; http://www.research.att.com/~bs

    Or you can download Bruce Eckel's book Thinking in C++ from
    http://mindview.net/Books

    NR

    Noah Roberts, Sep 4, 2003
  10. Adam Fineman <> wrote in message news:<bSJ5b.25$>...

    > One would think that people who write software for a living would have a
    > little more regard for intellectual property.

    <advocate type="devil's">
    Nobody said that all programmers do it for a living, or that those who
    do it for a living make their money from software sales. Much (most?)
    commercially-produced software is actually for internal use, not for
    sale. (I supposed copyright matters there, but not nearly as much as
    when a fair percentage of copies translates into lost sales.)

    And then there's all the people who write Free and open-source
    software, none of whom cash in on copyright (except maybe when
    dual-licensing to other entities who also intend to cash in on their
    copyright). In fact, many Free Software authors believe that the world
    would be better off without copyright. And many of them are making
    money off this software, one way or another. Additionally, many Free
    and open-source packages started out as software developed by a
    business for internal use -- in fact, I believe that's how C and C++
    began.

    And that's not even going into software patents, which is (or should
    be) the cause du jour of software developers in Europe right now. :)
    </advocate>

    That said, Dr. Stroustrup's a great guy, and his book is the canonical
    tome on the subject (canonicaltomes.org says so[1]), so buy a copy or
    three. I did (and got it signed, even -- try *that* with a downloaded
    PDF). :)

    - Shane

    ---
    1. http://canonicaltomes.org/topic.cgi?topic_id=22

    Shane Beasley, Sep 5, 2003
  11. Shane Beasley wrote:
    [...]
    > I did (and got it signed, even -- try *that* with a downloaded PDF).

    I'd rather want to have his signature on a contract (priced at 3 times
    TC++PL ASP or so) for providing *patches* to my PDF for the next *ten*
    (or so) years. ;-) ;-)

    regards,
    alexander.

    Alexander Terekhov, Sep 5, 2003
  12. Harry Meier

    osmium Guest

    Shane Beasley writes:

    > That said, Dr. Stroustrup's a great guy, and his book is the canonical
    > tome on the subject (canonicaltomes.org says so[1]), so buy a copy or
    > three.

    Neat link! The world has needed this for a long time. I have already
    contributed a bit to the site, sign up was painless. And no, not computer
    related.

    osmium, Sep 5, 2003
  13. Harry Meier

    mjm Guest

    The author no longer holds the copyright the publisher now does.
    Moreover the author gets paid a pathetic royalty (10% if that much).
    Amazon.com takes a bigger slice than that.

    I would say contempt for intellectual property is firmly institutionalized in
    our economy.

    mjm, Sep 5, 2003
  14. Harry Meier

    Ron Natalie Guest

    "mjm" <> wrote in message news:...
    > The author no longer holds the copyright the publisher now does.
    > Moreover the author gets paid a pathetic royalty (10% if that much).
    > Amazon.com takes a bigger slice than that.

    The author still owns the copyright. He just assigned the rights for publication.
    But anyhow, how does that justify stealing what little (you claim) the author gets?

    Ron Natalie, Sep 5, 2003
  15. Harry Meier

    mjm Guest

    > The author still owns the copyright. He just assigned the rights for publication.

    AT&T has the copyright, that's what it says on my edition.
    If you are not AT&T the publisher will get the copyrights.

    > But anyhow, how does that justify stealing what little (you claim) the author gets?

    I am not advocating the distribution of material that doesn't belong to you
    on the internet. I agree that it should be taken off all such websites.

    mjm, Sep 7, 2003
  16. Harry Meier

    Ron Natalie Guest

    "mjm" <> wrote in message news:...
    > > The author still owns the copyright. He just assigned the rights for publication.

    > AT&T has the copyright, that's what it says on my edition.
    > If you are not AT&T the publisher will get the copyrights.

    AT&T is NOT the publisher. Addison Wesley is.
    AT&T ended up owning it, no doubt, because they are Stroustrup's employer.

    Ron Natalie, Sep 8, 2003
  17. >> The author still owns the copyright. He just assigned the rights
    >> for publication.

    mjm> AT&T has the copyright, that's what it says on my edition.
    mjm> If you are not AT&T the publisher will get the copyrights.

    That depends on the deal negotiated between author and publisher.

    --
    Andrew Koenig,

    Andrew Koenig, Sep 8, 2003