<> the Diamond Operator

maryellen sniffen

I'm new and sorry about this - but what should I be putting inside this
"Diamond Operator"? The FileHandle? the open file ?
Thank you.
(e-mail address removed)

Paul Lalli

maryellen sniffen said:
I'm new and sorry about this - but what should I be putting inside this
"Diamond Operator"? The FileHandle? the open file ?

An apology is a poor substitute for actually reading the documentation
yourself, rather than asking thousands of people to read it to you.

perldoc perlop
(Search for "I/O Operators")

See also:
perldoc -f open
perldoc -f readline

Paul Lalli

Tad McClellan

maryellen sniffen said:
I'm new and sorry about this - but what should I be putting inside this
"Diamond Operator"?

Nothing, else it will no longer be the Diamond Operator!

The diamond operator is a special case of the Input Operator,
described in:

perldoc perlop

The FileHandle?

If you put a filehandle in the operator then it is not
the diamond operator special case, it is merely the general
case input operator.

the open file ?

Eh?

I cannot imagine what "open file" might mean here...

Anno Siegel

maryellen sniffen said:
I'm new and sorry about this - but what should I be putting inside this
"Diamond Operator"? The FileHandle? the open file ?

What would "the open file" be in a Perl program? For all intents and
purposes, the file handle *is* the open file.

Anno