  1. I'm new and sorry about this - but what should I be putting inside this
    "Diamond Operator"? The FileHandle? the open file ?
    Thank you.

    maryellen sniffen, Dec 31, 2004

  2. maryellen sniffen

    Paul Lalli Guest

    "maryellen sniffen" <> wrote in message
    news:kMcBd.18825$EL5.1055@trndny09...
    > I'm new and sorry about this - but what should I be putting inside

    this
    > "Diamond Operator"? The FileHandle? the open file ?

    An apology is a poor substitute for actually reading the documentation
    yourself, rather than asking thousands of people to read it to you.

    perldoc perlop
    (Search for "I/O Operators")

    See also:
    perldoc -f open
    perldoc -f readline

    Paul Lalli

    Paul Lalli, Dec 31, 2004

  3. maryellen sniffen <> wrote:
    > I'm new and sorry about this - but what should I be putting inside this
    > "Diamond Operator"?

    Nothing, else it will no longer be the Diamond Operator!

    The diamond operator is a special case of the Input Operator,
    described in:

    perldoc perlop

    > The FileHandle?

    If you put a filehandle in the operator then it is not
    the diamond operator special case, it is merely the general
    case input operator.

    > the open file ?

    Eh?

    I cannot imagine what "open file" might mean here...

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming

    Tad McClellan, Dec 31, 2004
  4. maryellen sniffen

    Anno Siegel Guest

    maryellen sniffen <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    > I'm new and sorry about this - but what should I be putting inside this
    > "Diamond Operator"? The FileHandle? the open file ?

    What would "the open file" be in a Perl program? For all intents and
    purposes, the file handle *is* the open file.

    Anno

    Anno Siegel, Dec 31, 2004