    with your name and comment, within a week (usually).

    Please visit: http://www.geocities.com/kakathiya_2004/
    , Dec 10, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    says...

    > WELCOME to The JAVASCRIPT PLANET which is a page where I plan to
    > publish as many JavaScripts (and maybe some other cool stuff like VRML,
    >
    > Animated GIFs) as possible, please contribute a JavaScript if you've
    > got something useful. Just paste the code into the textbox and push the
    >
    > Send button! Your contribution will be published on a separate page,
    > with your name and comment, within a week (usually).
    >

    > Please visit: http://www.geocities.com/

    Isn't your site a waste of time when you consider that then links all go
    to pages on other sites.

    Additionally, your images are broken, as are some of your pages. It's
    truly awful.

    --

    Hywel
    http://kibo.org.uk/
    Hywel Jenkins, Dec 10, 2005

  3. Moneypenny Guest

    nice.

    i always go 2 : javascript.internet.com

    thousand of scripts

    Moneypenny, Dec 10, 2005
  4. Ed Guest

    wrote:

    > WELCOME to The JAVASCRIPT PLANET which is a page where I plan to
    > publish as many JavaScripts (and maybe some other cool stuff like VRML,
    >
    > Animated GIFs) as possible, please contribute a JavaScript if you've
    > got something useful. Just paste the code into the textbox and push the
    >
    > Send button! Your contribution will be published on a separate page,
    > with your name and comment, within a week (usually).
    >

    > Please visit: http://www.geocities.com/kakathiya_2004/

    Keep up the good work. Great to have all that stuff referenced in one
    place.

    Ed
    Ed, Dec 10, 2005
  5. In article <>, ex@directory
    says...
    > wrote:
    > >
    > > WELCOME to The JAVASCRIPT PLANET which is a page where I plan to
    > > publish as many JavaScripts (and maybe some other cool stuff like VRML,
    > >
    > > Animated GIFs) as possible, please contribute a JavaScript if you've
    > > got something useful. Just paste the code into the textbox and push the
    > >
    > > Send button! Your contribution will be published on a separate page,
    > > with your name and comment, within a week (usually).
    > >

    > > Please visit: http://www.geocities.com/kakathiya_2004/
    > >

    > Keep up the good work. Great to have all that stuff referenced in one
    > place.

    Oh, please. You're not serious are you? Don't you think that sites
    that the OP is linking to are a far better starting point?

    --

    Hywel
    http://kibo.org.uk/
    Hywel Jenkins, Dec 10, 2005
  6. Michael Winter, Dec 10, 2005
  7. On 10/12/2005 11:43, Moneypenny wrote:

    > i always go 2 : javascript.internet.com

    I suggest you don't. The quality, as with virtually /every/ script
    archive on the Web, is abysmal.

    [snip]

    Please don't top-post.

    Mike

    --
    Michael Winter
    Michael Winter, Dec 10, 2005
  8. On 10/12/2005 15:23, Hywel Jenkins wrote:

    [snip]

    > Don't you think that sites that the OP is linking to are a far better
    > starting point?

    As far as the presentation is concerned, certainly. The quality of the
    content is much the same, though.

    Mike

    --
    Michael Winter
    Michael Winter, Dec 10, 2005
  9. Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, quothed:

    > WELCOME to The JAVASCRIPT PLANET which is a page where I plan to
    > publish as many JavaScripts (and maybe some other cool stuff like VRML,
    >
    > Animated GIFs) as possible, please contribute a JavaScript if you've
    > got something useful.

    I'm of the opinion that if you can't write the javascript in the first
    place, you shouldn't be using it.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Dec 11, 2005

    wrote:
    > WELCOME to The JAVASCRIPT PLANET which is a page where I plan to
    > publish as many JavaScripts (and maybe some other cool stuff like VRML,
    >
    > Animated GIFs) as possible, please contribute a JavaScript if you've
    > got something useful. Just paste the code into the textbox and push the
    >
    > Send button! Your contribution will be published on a separate page,
    > with your name and comment, within a week (usually).

    There are quite a few Javascript sites with codes to copy and paste. Of
    course many here think you should know how to write script yourself
    before you use it on a web page so that you will understand the
    advantages and limitations of the script. Despite that, we all know
    that many, especially hobby web page writers, will copy a script from
    where they can find it, even though they know nothing about scripts -
    at least when they start.

    With the above background, I find most of the large copy-and-paste JS
    sites have scripts from many sources and that range from decent to
    awful quality. There is no quality control, and this is a bad thing for
    people just starting to use script. All scripts and associated html
    code sometimes required should at least validate on the W3C html and
    css validators, which often is not the case. Many scripts on some of
    these sites seem to date back to html 3.2 days - for example they use
    <script> as used in html 3.2 rather than the now standard <script
    type="text/javascript">. They often rely on "evaluate" which is not
    much used anymore, and on and on. Such scripts should be brought up to
    date or not included. Of course the original author of the script may
    not be available or willing to rewrite it. Thus editing a large site to
    bring it up to current quality standards is a difficult job that few
    would have the time or desire to undertake.

    My comments are not directed to your site, but to JS copy-and-paste
    sites in general.
    , Dec 11, 2005
  11. Ed Guest

    Hywel Jenkins wrote:
    > In article <>, ex@directory
    > says...
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>WELCOME to The JAVASCRIPT PLANET which is a page where I plan to
    >>>publish as many JavaScripts (and maybe some other cool stuff like VRML,
    >>>
    >>>Animated GIFs) as possible, please contribute a JavaScript if you've
    >>>got something useful. Just paste the code into the textbox and push the
    >>>
    >>>Send button! Your contribution will be published on a separate page,
    >>>with your name and comment, within a week (usually).
    >>>

    >>>Please visit: http://www.geocities.com/kakathiya_2004/
    >>>

    >>Keep up the good work. Great to have all that stuff referenced in one
    >>place.

    > Oh, please. You're not serious are you? Don't you think that sites
    > that the OP is linking to are a far better starting point?

    Yes, I do.

    It's great for me to have a single port of call.

    Ed
    Ed, Dec 11, 2005
  12. Ed Guest

    Neredbojias wrote:
    > With neither quill nor qualm, quothed:
    >

    >>WELCOME to The JAVASCRIPT PLANET which is a page where I plan to
    >>publish as many JavaScripts (and maybe some other cool stuff like VRML,
    >>
    >>Animated GIFs) as possible, please contribute a JavaScript if you've
    >>got something useful.

    > I'm of the opinion that if you can't write the javascript in the first
    > place, you shouldn't be using it.

    But can't I learn from others experience by way of this site?

    Ed
    Ed, Dec 11, 2005
  13. Ed Guest

    wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >>WELCOME to The JAVASCRIPT PLANET which is a page where I plan to
    >>publish as many JavaScripts (and maybe some other cool stuff like VRML,
    >>
    >>Animated GIFs) as possible, please contribute a JavaScript if you've
    >>got something useful. Just paste the code into the textbox and push the
    >>
    >>Send button! Your contribution will be published on a separate page,
    >>with your name and comment, within a week (usually).

    > There are quite a few Javascript sites with codes to copy and paste. Of
    > course many here think you should know how to write script yourself
    > before you use it on a web page so that you will understand the
    > advantages and limitations of the script. Despite that, we all know
    > that many, especially hobby web page writers, will copy a script from
    > where they can find it, even though they know nothing about scripts -
    > at least when they start.
    >
    > With the above background, I find most of the large copy-and-paste JS
    > sites have scripts from many sources and that range from decent to
    > awful quality. There is no quality control, and this is a bad thing for
    > people just starting to use script. All scripts and associated html
    > code sometimes required should at least validate on the W3C html and
    > css validators, which often is not the case. Many scripts on some of
    > these sites seem to date back to html 3.2 days - for example they use
    > <script> as used in html 3.2 rather than the now standard <script
    > type="text/javascript">. They often rely on "evaluate" which is not
    > much used anymore, and on and on. Such scripts should be brought up to
    > date or not included. Of course the original author of the script may
    > not be available or willing to rewrite it. Thus editing a large site to
    > bring it up to current quality standards is a difficult job that few
    > would have the time or desire to undertake.
    >
    > My comments are not directed to your site, but to JS copy-and-paste
    > sites in general.

    For a non techie over 50 guy like me, struggling to learn about new
    stuff, this site is great. For sure, a number of the scripts are bad,
    but even so, this single point of call is a great starter. I don't
    know of any other single source that I can go to.. Do you?

    Ed
    Ed, Dec 11, 2005
  14. Peterken Guest

    "Ed" <ex@directory> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>WELCOME to The JAVASCRIPT PLANET which is a page where I plan to
    >>>publish as many JavaScripts (and maybe some other cool stuff like VRML,
    >>>
    >>>Animated GIFs) as possible, please contribute a JavaScript if you've
    >>>got something useful. Just paste the code into the textbox and push the
    >>>
    >>>Send button! Your contribution will be published on a separate page,
    >>>with your name and comment, within a week (usually).

    >> There are quite a few Javascript sites with codes to copy and paste. Of
    >> course many here think you should know how to write script yourself
    >> before you use it on a web page so that you will understand the
    >> advantages and limitations of the script. Despite that, we all know
    >> that many, especially hobby web page writers, will copy a script from
    >> where they can find it, even though they know nothing about scripts -
    >> at least when they start.
    >>
    >> With the above background, I find most of the large copy-and-paste JS
    >> sites have scripts from many sources and that range from decent to
    >> awful quality. There is no quality control, and this is a bad thing for
    >> people just starting to use script. All scripts and associated html
    >> code sometimes required should at least validate on the W3C html and
    >> css validators, which often is not the case. Many scripts on some of
    >> these sites seem to date back to html 3.2 days - for example they use
    >> <script> as used in html 3.2 rather than the now standard <script
    >> type="text/javascript">. They often rely on "evaluate" which is not
    >> much used anymore, and on and on. Such scripts should be brought up to
    >> date or not included. Of course the original author of the script may
    >> not be available or willing to rewrite it. Thus editing a large site to
    >> bring it up to current quality standards is a difficult job that few
    >> would have the time or desire to undertake.
    >>
    >> My comments are not directed to your site, but to JS copy-and-paste
    >> sites in general.
    >>

    > For a non techie over 50 guy like me, struggling to learn about new stuff,
    > this site is great. For sure, a number of the scripts are bad, but even
    > so, this single point of call is a great starter. I don't know of any
    > other single source that I can go to.. Do you?
    >
    > Ed

    www.javascript.com
    www.webreference.com
    and soooo many others

    just try googling some, thousands come out
    Peterken, Dec 11, 2005
  15. JDS Guest

    JDS, Dec 12, 2005
  16. Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Ed quothed:

    > > I'm of the opinion that if you can't write the javascript in the first
    > > place, you shouldn't be using it.
    > >

    > But can't I learn from others experience by way of this site?

    Sure, and there's nothing wrong with trying out little snippets of code
    to see how they work. But cutting-and-pasting complete uber-functions
    including syntax to accomplish an immediate aim is like cheating in
    school. You don't learn much and are at a loss the next time a similar
    need arises.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Dec 12, 2005

    Ed wrote:
    > Hywel Jenkins wrote:
    > > In article <>, ex@directory
    > > says...

    > >>Keep up the good work. Great to have all that stuff referenced in one
    > >>place.

    > > Oh, please. You're not serious are you? Don't you think that sites
    > > that the OP is linking to are a far better starting point?
    > >

    > Yes, I do.
    >
    > It's great for me to have a single port of call.

    Then find a better one, such as any of the sites that the OP links to.
    You've just found yourself a middleman with a free URL. Pointless.

    --
    Hywel
    , Dec 12, 2005
  18. Ed Jay Guest

    wrote:

    >Ed wrote:
    >> Hywel Jenkins wrote:
    >> > In article <>, ex@directory
    >> > says...

    >> > Oh, please. You're not serious are you? Don't you think that sites
    >> > that the OP is linking to are a far better starting point?
    >> >

    >> Yes, I do.
    >>
    >> It's great for me to have a single port of call.

    >Then find a better one, such as any of the sites that the OP links to.
    >You've just found yourself a middleman with a free URL. Pointless.

    I don't know how, but you attributed something to me that I didn't write.

    I normally wouldn't say anything, but since I agree with you about the
    site...etc.

    --
    Ed Jay (remove M to respond by email)
    Ed Jay, Dec 12, 2005

    Ed Jay wrote:
    > wrote:
    >

    > >Ed wrote:

    > >> Yes, I do.
    > >>
    > >> It's great for me to have a single port of call.

    > >Then find a better one, such as any of the sites that the OP links to.
    > >You've just found yourself a middleman with a free URL. Pointless.

    > I don't know how, but you attributed something to me that I didn't write.

    No I didn't. I replied to "Ed". You're "Ed Jay". You're different.

    --
    Hywel
    , Dec 14, 2005
  20. Ed Jay Guest

    wrote:

    >Ed Jay wrote:
    >> wrote:

    >> >Then find a better one, such as any of the sites that the OP links to.
    >> >You've just found yourself a middleman with a free URL. Pointless.

    >> I don't know how, but you attributed something to me that I didn't write.

    >No I didn't. I replied to "Ed". You're "Ed Jay".

    I stand corrected.

    >You're different.

    People have been telling me that all my life. :)

    --
    Ed Jay (remove M to respond by email)
    Ed Jay, Dec 14, 2005