The JavaScript Planet! There are now 789 JavaScripts available

deetisrikanth1

WELCOME to The JAVASCRIPT PLANET which is a page where I plan to
publish as many JavaScripts (and maybe some other cool stuff like VRML,

Animated GIFs) as possible, please contribute a JavaScript if you've
got something useful. Just paste the code into the textbox and push the

Send button! Your contribution will be published on a separate page,
with your name and comment, within a week (usually).

Please visit: http://www.geocities.com/kakathiya_2004/

Hywel Jenkins

WELCOME to The JAVASCRIPT PLANET which is a page where I plan to
publish as many JavaScripts (and maybe some other cool stuff like VRML,

Animated GIFs) as possible, please contribute a JavaScript if you've
got something useful. Just paste the code into the textbox and push the

Send button! Your contribution will be published on a separate page,
with your name and comment, within a week (usually).

Please visit: http://www.geocities.com/

Isn't your site a waste of time when you consider that then links all go
to pages on other sites.

Additionally, your images are broken, as are some of your pages. It's
truly awful.

Ed

WELCOME to The JAVASCRIPT PLANET which is a page where I plan to
publish as many JavaScripts (and maybe some other cool stuff like VRML,

Animated GIFs) as possible, please contribute a JavaScript if you've
got something useful. Just paste the code into the textbox and push the

Send button! Your contribution will be published on a separate page,
with your name and comment, within a week (usually).

Please visit: http://www.geocities.com/kakathiya_2004/

Keep up the good work. Great to have all that stuff referenced in one
place.

Ed

Hywel Jenkins

ex@directory said:
Keep up the good work. Great to have all that stuff referenced in one
place.

Oh, please. You're not serious are you? Don't you think that sites
that the OP is linking to are a far better starting point?

Michael Winter

i always go 2 : javascript.internet.com

I suggest you don't. The quality, as with virtually /every/ script
archive on the Web, is abysmal.

[snip]

Please don't top-post.

Mike

Michael Winter

On 10/12/2005 15:23, Hywel Jenkins wrote:

[snip]
Don't you think that sites that the OP is linking to are a far better
starting point?

As far as the presentation is concerned, certainly. The quality of the
content is much the same, though.

Mike

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, (e-mail address removed) quothed:
WELCOME to The JAVASCRIPT PLANET which is a page where I plan to
publish as many JavaScripts (and maybe some other cool stuff like VRML,

Animated GIFs) as possible, please contribute a JavaScript if you've
got something useful.

I'm of the opinion that if you can't write the javascript in the first
place, you shouldn't be using it.

cwdjrxyz

WELCOME to The JAVASCRIPT PLANET which is a page where I plan to
publish as many JavaScripts (and maybe some other cool stuff like VRML,

Animated GIFs) as possible, please contribute a JavaScript if you've
got something useful. Just paste the code into the textbox and push the

Send button! Your contribution will be published on a separate page,
with your name and comment, within a week (usually).

There are quite a few Javascript sites with codes to copy and paste. Of
course many here think you should know how to write script yourself
before you use it on a web page so that you will understand the
advantages and limitations of the script. Despite that, we all know
that many, especially hobby web page writers, will copy a script from
where they can find it, even though they know nothing about scripts -
at least when they start.

With the above background, I find most of the large copy-and-paste JS
sites have scripts from many sources and that range from decent to
awful quality. There is no quality control, and this is a bad thing for
people just starting to use script. All scripts and associated html
code sometimes required should at least validate on the W3C html and
css validators, which often is not the case. Many scripts on some of
these sites seem to date back to html 3.2 days - for example they use
<script> as used in html 3.2 rather than the now standard <script
type="text/javascript">. They often rely on "evaluate" which is not
much used anymore, and on and on. Such scripts should be brought up to
date or not included. Of course the original author of the script may
not be available or willing to rewrite it. Thus editing a large site to
bring it up to current quality standards is a difficult job that few
would have the time or desire to undertake.

My comments are not directed to your site, but to JS copy-and-paste
sites in general.

Ed

Hywel said:
Oh, please. You're not serious are you? Don't you think that sites
that the OP is linking to are a far better starting point?
Yes, I do.

It's great for me to have a single port of call.

Ed

Ed

Neredbojias said:
With neither quill nor qualm, (e-mail address removed) quothed:

I'm of the opinion that if you can't write the javascript in the first
place, you shouldn't be using it.
But can't I learn from others experience by way of this site?

Ed

Ed

[...]

For a non techie over 50 guy like me, struggling to learn about new
stuff, this site is great. For sure, a number of the scripts are bad,
but even so, this single point of call is a great starter. I don't
know of any other single source that I can go to.. Do you?

Ed

Peterken

Ed said:
For a non techie over 50 guy like me, struggling to learn about new stuff,
this site is great. For sure, a number of the scripts are bad, but even
so, this single point of call is a great starter. I don't know of any
other single source that I can go to.. Do you?

Ed

www.javascript.com
www.webreference.com
and soooo many others

just try googling some, thousands come out

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Ed quothed:
But can't I learn from others experience by way of this site?

Sure, and there's nothing wrong with trying out little snippets of code
to see how they work. But cutting-and-pasting complete uber-functions
including syntax to accomplish an immediate aim is like cheating in
school. You don't learn much and are at a loss the next time a similar
need arises.

hywel.jenkins

Ed said:
Yes, I do.

It's great for me to have a single port of call.

Then find a better one, such as any of the sites that the OP links to.
You've just found yourself a middleman with a free URL. Pointless.

Ed Jay

Then find a better one, such as any of the sites that the OP links to.
You've just found yourself a middleman with a free URL. Pointless.

I don't know how, but you attributed something to me that I didn't write.

I normally wouldn't say anything, but since I agree with you about the
site...etc.