The playtoy is going to expand now

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Richard ([email protected]) feverishly typed...
Dufus, yeah you, only the descriptions of the images does not work
with JS off.

I'm using FF with JS off and, guess what, none of the links work. Hardly
surprising though, as they aren't actually links. Have you taken any of the
advice, or actually looked at any of the links to examples that have been
offered to you in this group, and over in If you had,
you would have been able to implement what you want quite simply, and it
would work whether or not javascript was available.

Cheers,
Nige

Bernhard Sturm

Beauregard said:
I'd like to but the left half-inch

ROTFL.. I use metric units, and here it's all okay.. humm.. yes at my
notebook it's a mere 5mm off, and on my 21" screen it's 1cm off.. how
can I fix this??? ;-)

Hywel Jenkins

No shit. That's why I like it.
Ever heard "Kiss it!"?
Keep it simple stupid!

Someone had remarkable foresight to come up with that acronym. Did they
know you at the time?

Fat Sam

Richard said:
Dufus, yeah you, only the descriptions of the images does not work
with JS off.
Duhhh, I wonder why.

The whole site refuses to work with javascript turned off you
imbecile.....Even with javascript turned on in Firefox, the whole page is
dead flickerry and jumpy......

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Dylan said:
That wouldn't be of much use really. Rhyming slang is a London thing :\

True. She came to the states as a mid-teen-ager, but by the time I was
old enough to know her, she had lost all UK accent and most slang.
Spoke like an upper-class 'Murrican. <g>

Andy Dingley

Rhyming slang is a London thing :\

Inuit have 40 words for snow.
Scousers have at least that many for thieving.

(Dey used to have more, but some woolyback robbed dem)

Toby Inkster

Andy said:
Inuit have 40 words for snow.

This is a bit of a myth really.

The language used by the Inuit is quite interesting, so that you can
simply join word stems together to create new words whenever you like.

Imagine we had the following "stems" in English; dead, green, new. We
might describe some grass that had just died as newdeadgrass. Or some
grass that was green as greengrass. If it was very green, maybe
greengreengrass. Or if we were Tom Jones, the greengreengrassofhome.

So the Inuit actually have hundreds of words for snow, but mainly formed
by adding word stems.

But aside from that, how many words do we have in English for ice? Ice,
snow, blizzard, slush, hail, sleet, icicle, permafrost, glacier, iceberg...

Quote:

In my spare time I have been attempting to construct an Eskimo
sentence in my basement, such as will be suitable for the
season. I have not get it perfected yet, but it is coming along
pretty well, and with a little work it might pass for the genuine
article. So far I have: kaniktshaq moritlkatsio atsuniartoq.

When completed, this sentence will proclaim: "Look at all this
freaking snow." At present it means: "Observe the snow. It
fornicates."

-- Cecil Adams, 1979.

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Dylan Parry ([email protected]) feverishly
typed...
That wouldn't be of much use really. Rhyming slang is a London thing
:\

<pedant>Cockney rhyming slang is a London thing</pedant>

The scary thing about rhyming slang is using it without knowing you are
using it, and not knowing the etymology. I remember as kids we used to call
each other "berks" as in "Oh, you berk!" as it seemed a relatively
inoffensive way to insult someone. Turns out it's rhyming slang, and comes
from "Berkshire Hunt"! Hmm....... ;-)

Cheers,
Nige

Disco Octopus

Richard wrote on 26/01/2005 :

I dont understand.

I just told you that the web site that you built does not work in
Firefox.

Then, you call me a liar. How do you justify that?

I dont mind if you want to contact me out of this forum to talk more
about this.

SpaceGirl

Richard said:
Bullshit. Maybe what you should do is get the latest version.

I do. There's something weird in the way the rollovers work. It causes
some very strange flickering under/around the rollovers in the top left
of the screen.
No shit. That's why I like it.

Okay. It's hardly an ideal script. The world is full of script kiddies
that think marques are cool too. That doesn't actually mean they are!
Ever heard "Kiss it!"?
Keep it simple stupid!

Uh huh. But UI (user interface) design is a bit more involved than
plugging in a few buggy scripts and throwing in some trendy acronyms.
You've not been doing this very long, and when people offer you crit you
should think about it rather than lashing out. A lot of us in here are
professional designers (I am). Once upon a time I was a script kiddie
too, but I learned the error of my ways (and when and where and how to
write scripts).

Not really that informative!

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Toby Inkster

nice.guy.nige said:
Turns out ["berk" is] rhyming slang, and comes from "Berkshire Hunt"!

I've heard that before, but never been entirely credulous of it. Consider
how the two are pronounced. (For those outisde the UK, they are roughly
"burk" and "BARK-sher".)