The playtoy is going to expand now

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Toby Inkster ([email protected])
feverishly typed...
nice.guy.nige said:
Turns out ["berk" is] rhyming slang, and comes from "Berkshire Hunt"!
Hmm....... ;-)

I've heard that before, but never been entirely credulous of it.
Consider how the two are pronounced. (For those outisde the UK, they
are roughly "burk" and "BARK-sher".)

Yeah, but they are from the South, where they pronounce "bath" as "barth"
then laugh at us Northerners when we pronounce the word proper-like! ;-)

Also, it is possible that the pronounced "bark" of Berkshire became "berk"
when isolated from the rest of the word and written down...

Cheers,
Nige

Philip Ronan

Toby said:
nice.guy.nige said:
Turns out ["berk" is] rhyming slang, and comes from "Berkshire Hunt"!

I've heard that before, but never been entirely credulous of it. Consider
how the two are pronounced. (For those outisde the UK, they are roughly
"burk" and "BARK-sher".)

I just checked the Oxford dictionary, and nice.guy.nige is correct.

Apparently it could either be "Berkshire hunt" or "Berkeley hunt" (so
probably the latter in that case).

"Usu. not considered _offens._ despite the etymology," it says.

Well you learn something every day...