The python2.4 IDLE can't be lanuched.

AnkyHe

I downloaded the python 2.4 final from the offical website and installed it on the WindowsXP+SP2 (Chinese version).
There was not any problem in this process, but the IDLE can't be lanuched without any warnning. Is there anybody else
encount this problem and how to resolve it? Thanks!

Brian Beck

AnkyHe said:
I downloaded the python 2.4 final from the offical website and installed it on the WindowsXP+SP2 (Chinese version).
There was not any problem in this process, but the IDLE can't be lanuched without any warnning. Is there anybody else
encount this problem and how to resolve it? Thanks!

I have the exact same problem. The IDLE window just never opens, and
checking the process list shows that is was never even launched. So I
can't make much use of Python 2.4 since I use IDLE as my IDE...

Brian Beck

Brian said:
I have the exact same problem. The IDLE window just never opens, and
checking the process list shows that is was never even launched. So I
can't make much use of Python 2.4 since I use IDLE as my IDE...

I forgot to note that I am also using Windows XP SP2 and this happens on
two completely different machines of mine.

Abe Mathews

Don't know if this would help or not, but on my Linux 2.3 IDLE, I get
the following warning on startup:

Personal firewall software may warn about the connection IDLE
makes to its subprocess using this computer's internal loopback
interface. This connection is not visible on any external
interface and no data is sent to or received from the Internet.

I'm not running SP 2 on any machines, so I can't test it for you, but
it may be that the personal firewall being activated on SP 2 is
blocking IDLE from starting up. You might try turning that off and
seeing if that helps. IIRC, part of SP 2 was port disabling.

I have to install SP 2 on a machine later today. If I get the chance
I'll test it and see if I can make the same failure occur.

Abe Mathews

Brian Beck

Abe said:
I'm not running SP 2 on any machines, so I can't test it for you, but
it may be that the personal firewall being activated on SP 2 is
blocking IDLE from starting up. You might try turning that off and
seeing if that helps. IIRC, part of SP 2 was port disabling.

I do remember seeing that message but thought "no way" since the Windows
firewall is pretty forgiving in my experience. But after a bit of
tweaking and even disabling the firewall completely, the problem persists.