The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Sachin, Nov 4, 2005.

  1. Sachin

    Sachin Guest

    Scenario:

    Machine A: ASP.NET Web UI
    IIS 6.0
    Windows Server 2003
    Impersonation Account: domain\Acct1

    Machine B: ASP.NET Web Service
    IIS 6.0
    Windsow Server 2003
    Impersonation Account: domain\Acct2

    when Web UI calls Web Service, it fails saying "System.Web.Exception The
    request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized."

    When I look at the IIS log for Web Service I see,

    WebService.asmx -> HTTP Code, 401 2
    WebService.asmx -> HTTP Code, 401 3
    WebService.asmx -> HTTP Code, 401 1

    domain\Acct1 has full control over web service web site and all the files
    underneath it.

    I used filemon on WebService.asmx and found that IIS is even not tring to
    read it.

    Then I deployed the same Web Service on Machine C, with similar
    configuration. Web UI works fine.

    Could someone please help me to find out what could be wrong?

    Any pointer?

    Thanks in advace
    Sachin

    Sachin, Nov 4, 2005

  2. Sachin

    Bruce Barker Guest

    either pass credentials when calling webservice, or in the webservice vdir
    allow anonymous.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    Bruce Barker, Nov 4, 2005

  3. Sachin

    Sachin Guest

    I am passing Default credentials while calling the web service.

    Even anonumous access is not working.

    However, it works on Machine C.

    Sachin, Nov 4, 2005