The right DOCTYPE?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by MattB, May 7, 2007.

  1. MattB

    MattB Guest

    I haven't given much thought to DOCTYPE before. I have a vague idea of
    what it is and why it's there: to tell the browser what rules to follow
    when rendering the page.

    I have a ASP.net 1.1 application that has a little added JavaScript in
    it, but is by no means what I'd consider JavaScript intensive. It makes
    use of a stylesheet in fairly conservative ways and in general uses the
    html generated by VS.NET 2003.

    Now one of our clients says our doctype is out of date and "causing
    problems". I haven't heard what the problems are, but thought I'd better
    get some background on the subject.

    Should I not be using the default DOCTYPE that VS.NET 2003 automatically
    inserts? If not, what should I use (or how do I decide)? If so, then
    what do I say to convince this client that it's OK?

    Here's is what all the current pages have:

    Thanks for any suggeastions or ideas!

    Matt

    MattB, May 7, 2007

  2. Hello MattB,

    DOCTYPE specify the version of HTML for browers
    Read about it here http://htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/html/doctype.html

    You need to use it to keep your html as much possible compliant to browsers

    ---
    WBR, Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP].
    My blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
    Team blog: http://devkids.blogspot.com/