The right DOCTYPE?

MattB

I haven't given much thought to DOCTYPE before. I have a vague idea of
what it is and why it's there: to tell the browser what rules to follow
when rendering the page.

I have a ASP.net 1.1 application that has a little added JavaScript in
it, but is by no means what I'd consider JavaScript intensive. It makes
use of a stylesheet in fairly conservative ways and in general uses the
html generated by VS.NET 2003.

Now one of our clients says our doctype is out of date and "causing
problems". I haven't heard what the problems are, but thought I'd better
get some background on the subject.

Should I not be using the default DOCTYPE that VS.NET 2003 automatically
inserts? If not, what should I use (or how do I decide)? If so, then
what do I say to convince this client that it's OK?

Here's is what all the current pages have:

Thanks for any suggeastions or ideas!

Matt

Michael Nemtsev

Hello MattB,

DOCTYPE specify the version of HTML for browers
Read about it here http://htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/html/doctype.html

You need to use it to keep your html as much possible compliant to browsers

---
WBR, Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP].
My blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
Team blog: http://devkids.blogspot.com/