The ruby website translator

HackerGene

Hi ,

I would like to be ruby website translator .I've send an email to
(e-mail address removed) but still get no reply.
So how to do the job ? Any suggestion ?

Thanks in advance.

--
Regards.

-HackerGene.

HomePage: http://www.hackergene.com

Phillip Gawlowski

Hi ,

I would like to be ruby website translator .I've send an email to
(e-mail address removed) but still get no reply.
So how to do the job ? Any suggestion ?

Improve your English. Read a couple of style guides (space goes after
punctuation, not before it), and brush up your grammar.

The Economist's style guide, the Chicago Manual of Style are both good
sources for more-or-less correct English.

Then, for the heck of it, translate an article from, say, the Japanese
Wikipedia into English, and into your native language. Once you have
done that, I'm sure another application will at least be considered.

James Britt

Phillip said:
Improve your English. Read a couple of style guides (space goes after
punctuation, not before it), and brush up your grammar.

I was just checking ruby-lang.org, and the various translated versions,
and there are numerous gaps in posts being translate from English.

So here's someone offering to help out with a community-driven,
open-source project that clearly needs the help, and is greeted with a
lecture on grammar and told to come back later.

I'm sure we all want translations to be clear and accurate, but surely
we can find some way to encourage more people to contribute what they can.

If nothing else, whoever is the ruby-lang.org webmaster should send a reply.

(BTW, who *is* the the ruby-lang.org webmaster?)

--
James Britt

www.neurogami.com - Smart application development

Ryan Davis

punctuation, not before it), and brush up your grammar.
=20
I was just checking ruby-lang.org, and the various translated =
versions, and there are numerous gaps in posts being translate from =
English.
=20
So here's someone offering to help out with a community-driven, =
open-source project that clearly needs the help, and is greeted with a =
lecture on grammar and told to come back later.
=20
I'm sure we all want translations to be clear and accurate, but surely =
we can find some way to encourage more people to contribute what they =
can.
=20
If nothing else, whoever is the ruby-lang.org webmaster should send a =
reply.

Thank you. That was a lot nicer than the beat down I was mentally =
composing.

(and better written (ha!))
(BTW, who *is* the the ruby-lang.org webmaster?)

I thought it was JEG?

Phillip Gawlowski

So here's someone offering to help out with a community-driven,
open-source project that clearly needs the help, and is greeted with a
lecture on grammar and told to come back later.

A firm grasp of the language translated to and/or from isn't "nice to
have", it's essential.

It is even more essential in technical writing, since it requires a very
high level of exact translation to eliminate possible double-meanings.

A German - English example:
"source code"

Can be translated as "Quelltext", "Programmcode", or "Code-Quelle
erstellen", only the first two are proper translations of the term
"source code", the third option meaning "generate academic source for
code", or "acquire academic source for code". This is made even more
difficult in that "code" can mean "program source code", *or* "cypher".

Two words, and a whole paragraph of possibilities. ;)
I'm sure we all want translations to be clear and accurate, but surely
we can find some way to encourage more people to contribute what they can.

Sure. But I don't know about you, but proof-reading and editing aren't
really fun if the source material is anything like the OP's initial email.

Suggestions were requested, suggestions were provided.

I also admit to a certain... terseness in my written English (it's a
known fault, but one difficult for me to fix, it being a personality
trait), but--especially as a non-native English speaker--I take care to
write at least clear English (not that I always succeed), and I am
doubly aware of grammatical errors since they jump at me from any given
text. I blame the endless drills in school on false friends.

However, I'm also cringing when I catch myself making a typo. I'm
hypercritical, not hypocritical. ;)

Marnen Laibow-Koser

Phillip said:
Improve your English. Read a couple of style guides (space goes after
punctuation, not before it), and brush up your grammar.

The Economist's style guide, the Chicago Manual of Style are both good
sources for more-or-less correct English.

He doesn't need an English style guide if he's translating *from*
English.
Then, for the heck of it, translate an article from, say, the Japanese
Wikipedia into English, and into your native language.

Totally unnecessary. Just translate something from English into your
target language.
Once you have
done that, I'm sure another application will at least be considered.

Best,

andrew mcelroy

I'm getting ready to ramp up for I18N on Try Ruby.
My focus is still on browser compatibility right now.
I think I spoke with you already about this. If it wasn't you then I apolog=
ize.

Translations (or any bug reports) on Try Ruby are welcome.

Isn't your target language Espa=F1ol?
If I am mistaken then what languages are you wishing to translate to?

Sincerely,
Andrew McElroy

James Edward Gray II

I would like to be ruby website translator .I've send an email to =
(e-mail address removed) but still get no reply.
So how to do the job ? Any suggestion ?

My apologies. I'm looking into your request now and will get back to =
you as soon as I know something.

James Edward Gray II=

James Edward Gray II

On Dec 31, 2009, at 00:30 , James Britt wrote:
=20
=20
I thought it was JEG?

There's a team of us actually. Usually Curt Hibbs manages the =
translations, which is why I didn't respond to the message in question. =
It seems as though it has fallen through the cracks though, so I'll see =
if I can push things along.

James Edward Gray II=

Marnen Laibow-Koser

Phillip said:
A firm grasp of the language translated to and/or from isn't "nice to
have", it's essential.

Yes. But there is a difference between reading and writing. I can read
German very well and speak it more or less fluently, and I sometimes
take German>English translation jobs for extra income. However, I have
trouble writing comprehensibly in German.

This situation is common. In fact, most professional translators
consider it *unethical* to translate into other than their native
language.
It is even more essential in technical writing, since it requires a very
high level of exact translation to eliminate possible double-meanings.

A German - English example:
"source code"

Can be translated as "Quelltext", "Programmcode", or "Code-Quelle
erstellen", only the first two are proper translations of the term
"source code", the third option meaning "generate academic source for
code", or "acquire academic source for code". This is made even more
difficult in that "code" can mean "program source code", *or* "cypher".

Right. This is why you need a native German speaker familiar with the
field to do that translation.
Two words, and a whole paragraph of possibilities. ;)

Sure. But I don't know about you, but proof-reading and editing aren't
really fun if the source material is anything like the OP's initial
email.

But an English style guide won't help to understand that!
Suggestions were requested, suggestions were provided.

Yup. But they were suggestions appropriate to translating *into*
English, which the OP is not going to be doing.
I also admit to a certain... terseness in my written English (it's a
known fault, but one difficult for me to fix, it being a personality
trait), but--especially as a non-native English speaker--I take care to
write at least clear English (not that I always succeed), and I am
doubly aware of grammatical errors since they jump at me from any given
text. I blame the endless drills in school on false friends.

:)