The Subtle Application of Style

Jo Inferis

(perhaps this is a well known feature, but I haven't seen anything
mentioning it explicitly yet)

I'm testing websites more and more exclusively in FireFox now and one of the
things I've just noticed is that where I set values such as Border,
BorderWidth or BorderColor (i.e. any property which would result in the
generation of a style=... attribute in the final HTML), then for IE the
attribute is generated as usual, but for FireFox it is not. When accessed
with a browser other than IE, it seems that different HTML is served.

Now, I know this is a fairly trivial trick to achieve, what worries me is
that I haven't told it to do this. FireFox would be perfectly capable of
understanding the style attribute were it served as for IE, it almost seems
as though by default ASP.NET wants the page to look terrible in anything
other than IE....

Can anyone shed any light on this?