There's a line, and I just crossed it

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Kenneth Tilton, Aug 2, 2010.

  1. I just added tooltips and went thru my "do list" and realized... I am done!

    http://teamalgebra.com/

    Done with the desktop-to-RIA port, that is: I am back to where I was on
    the desktop application, except for (OK) an abiding need to get jsMath
    to give up layout info after converting TeX to HTML -- but that is
    manageable for now.

    Eight weeks, including the bit about dealing with AWS and incorporating
    jsMath and developing the Lisp/qooxdoo glue called qooxlisp.

    The bad news is that Team Raw HTML won't have me to kick around any
    more, unless something interesting happens on the qooxlisp end of
    things; from here on out I will just be working on the functionality of
    the Algebra application.

    Of course that was the plan: use a good JS library to hide all those
    whacky browser issues and avoid learning HTML and CSS (credit as well to
    Franz AllegroServe and AllegroGraph) so I could concentrate on the beef.

    Peace. Out.

    kt

    ps. The stack:

    http://aws.amazon.com/
    http://www.franz.com/products/allegrocl/
    http://www.franz.com/products/allegrocl/acl_web_tools.lhtml
    http://www.franz.com/agraph/allegrograph/
    http://qooxdoo.org/
    http://github.com/kennytilton/cells
    http://github.com/kennytilton/qooxlisp
    http://www.math.union.edu/~dpvc/jsMath/

    --
    http://www.stuckonalgebra.com
    "The best Algebra tutorial program I have seen... in a class by itself."

    Kenneth Tilton, Aug 2, 2010

  2. Kenneth Tilton

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <4c573b67$0$4979$>,
    Kenneth Tilton <> wrote:

    > I just added tooltips and went thru my "do list" and realized... I am done!
    >
    > http://teamalgebra.com/
    >
    > Done with the desktop-to-RIA port, that is: I am back to where I was on
    > the desktop application, except for (OK) an abiding need to get jsMath
    > to give up layout info after converting TeX to HTML -- but that is
    > manageable for now.
    >
    > Eight weeks, including the bit about dealing with AWS and incorporating
    > jsMath and developing the Lisp/qooxdoo glue called qooxlisp.
    >
    > The bad news is that Team Raw HTML won't have me to kick around any
    > more, unless something interesting happens on the qooxlisp end of
    > things; from here on out I will just be working on the functionality of
    > the Algebra application.
    >
    > Of course that was the plan: use a good JS library to hide all those
    > whacky browser issues and avoid learning HTML and CSS (credit as well to
    > Franz AllegroServe and AllegroGraph) so I could concentrate on the beef.

    Well, in the Typing Course you have all the keys showing something now.
    Only problem is, after I click on the yellow bar to have it turn white,
    and then start typing, all the rendered algebra sits too high up in the
    input area, so I can only see (if I'm lucky) the bottom few pixels of
    the algebra, at the top of the white bar.

    --
    Tim

    Tim Streater, Aug 2, 2010

  3. Tim Streater wrote:
    > In article <4c573b67$0$4979$>,
    > Kenneth Tilton <> wrote:
    >
    >> I just added tooltips and went thru my "do list" and realized... I am
    >> done!
    >>
    >> http://teamalgebra.com/
    >>
    >> Done with the desktop-to-RIA port, that is: I am back to where I was
    >> on the desktop application, except for (OK) an abiding need to get
    >> jsMath to give up layout info after converting TeX to HTML -- but that
    >> is manageable for now.
    >>
    >> Eight weeks, including the bit about dealing with AWS and
    >> incorporating jsMath and developing the Lisp/qooxdoo glue called
    >> qooxlisp.
    >>
    >> The bad news is that Team Raw HTML won't have me to kick around any
    >> more, unless something interesting happens on the qooxlisp end of
    >> things; from here on out I will just be working on the functionality
    >> of the Algebra application.
    >>
    >> Of course that was the plan: use a good JS library to hide all those
    >> whacky browser issues and avoid learning HTML and CSS (credit as well
    >> to Franz AllegroServe and AllegroGraph) so I could concentrate on the
    >> beef.

    > Well, in the Typing Course you have all the keys showing something now.
    > Only problem is, after I click on the yellow bar to have it turn white,
    > and then start typing, all the rendered algebra sits too high up in the
    > input area, so I can only see (if I'm lucky) the bottom few pixels of
    > the algebra, at the top of the white bar.

    Yeah, that comes and goes for me. It derives from my not having fully
    wrestled jsMath to the ground. Once I am able to dynamically interrogate
    jsMath for dimensions of generated HTML I should be able to understand
    when/where/why it gets lost.

    For the curious, it is related to the visible insertion caret that tells
    user where they are typing. Inserting that tex code into a larger tex
    expression randomly (well, I have not found the pattern yet) knocks off
    the overall positioning.

    I guess I know what I am doing this week. :) Besides this, I mean:

    http://thelaughingstockatpngs.com/

    kt

    Kenneth Tilton, Aug 3, 2010
  4. Bob Felts wrote:
    > Kenneth Tilton <> wrote:
    >
    >> I just added tooltips and went thru my "do list" and realized... I am done!

    > Aside from the fact that software is never really done, congratulations!

    Thx! I meant "I am back to where I was on the desktop version", which
    (a) means, yes, I will never be done and (b) means I lied because I
    still had to wrestle jsMath to the ground.

    Still not there yet on jsMath, but I have not seen the unpredictable
    vertical jump in the few hours since I eliminated once probable source
    of Heisenberg Uncertainty. A few hours is not much comfort, but anyway:

    http://teamalgebra.com/#

    Known remaining problem is that some math will get outside its bounds a
    little if you click around here enough:

    http://teamalgebra.com/#TRAINING

    .... but I just have not had the time (and I gotta run) to re-tune the
    sizing logic since the breakthrough: jsMath lets you put math in a div
    or a span. spans are for referring to math right in the middle of a
    normal sentence, divs are for centering math in their own paragraph if
    you will. I was using spans, even tho I was essentially giving each bit
    of math its own universe, a qooxdoo embed.Html widget. jsMath was doing
    its best to cleverly align the math with...nothing else! But it would
    assume it was on aline of text and I guess do things odd vertically, or
    odder than usual. Now just using a div.

    Off to tend to this now: http://thelaughingstockatpngs.com/, a much
    welcome change of pace for a homebound geek.

    kt

    Kenneth Tilton, Aug 4, 2010