There's a line, and I just crossed it

Kenneth Tilton

I just added tooltips and went thru my "do list" and realized... I am done!

http://teamalgebra.com/

Done with the desktop-to-RIA port, that is: I am back to where I was on
the desktop application, except for (OK) an abiding need to get jsMath
to give up layout info after converting TeX to HTML -- but that is
manageable for now.

Eight weeks, including the bit about dealing with AWS and incorporating
jsMath and developing the Lisp/qooxdoo glue called qooxlisp.

The bad news is that Team Raw HTML won't have me to kick around any
more, unless something interesting happens on the qooxlisp end of
things; from here on out I will just be working on the functionality of
the Algebra application.

Of course that was the plan: use a good JS library to hide all those
whacky browser issues and avoid learning HTML and CSS (credit as well to
Franz AllegroServe and AllegroGraph) so I could concentrate on the beef.

Peace. Out.

kt

ps. The stack:

http://aws.amazon.com/
http://www.franz.com/products/allegrocl/
http://www.franz.com/products/allegrocl/acl_web_tools.lhtml
http://www.franz.com/agraph/allegrograph/
http://qooxdoo.org/
http://github.com/kennytilton/cells
http://github.com/kennytilton/qooxlisp
http://www.math.union.edu/~dpvc/jsMath/

Tim Streater

Kenneth Tilton said:
[...]

Well, in the Typing Course you have all the keys showing something now.
Only problem is, after I click on the yellow bar to have it turn white,
and then start typing, all the rendered algebra sits too high up in the
input area, so I can only see (if I'm lucky) the bottom few pixels of
the algebra, at the top of the white bar.

Kenneth Tilton

Tim said:
Well, in the Typing Course you have all the keys showing something now.
Only problem is, after I click on the yellow bar to have it turn white,
and then start typing, all the rendered algebra sits too high up in the
input area, so I can only see (if I'm lucky) the bottom few pixels of
the algebra, at the top of the white bar.

Yeah, that comes and goes for me. It derives from my not having fully
wrestled jsMath to the ground. Once I am able to dynamically interrogate
jsMath for dimensions of generated HTML I should be able to understand
when/where/why it gets lost.

For the curious, it is related to the visible insertion caret that tells
user where they are typing. Inserting that tex code into a larger tex
expression randomly (well, I have not found the pattern yet) knocks off
the overall positioning.

I guess I know what I am doing this week. :) Besides this, I mean:

http://thelaughingstockatpngs.com/

kt

Kenneth Tilton

Bob said:
Aside from the fact that software is never really done, congratulations!

Thx! I meant "I am back to where I was on the desktop version", which
(a) means, yes, I will never be done and (b) means I lied because I
still had to wrestle jsMath to the ground.

Still not there yet on jsMath, but I have not seen the unpredictable
vertical jump in the few hours since I eliminated once probable source
of Heisenberg Uncertainty. A few hours is not much comfort, but anyway:

http://teamalgebra.com/#

Known remaining problem is that some math will get outside its bounds a
little if you click around here enough:

http://teamalgebra.com/#TRAINING

.... but I just have not had the time (and I gotta run) to re-tune the
sizing logic since the breakthrough: jsMath lets you put math in a div
or a span. spans are for referring to math right in the middle of a
normal sentence, divs are for centering math in their own paragraph if
you will. I was using spans, even tho I was essentially giving each bit
of math its own universe, a qooxdoo embed.Html widget. jsMath was doing
its best to cleverly align the math with...nothing else! But it would
assume it was on aline of text and I guess do things odd vertically, or
odder than usual. Now just using a div.

Off to tend to this now: http://thelaughingstockatpngs.com/, a much
welcome change of pace for a homebound geek.

kt