This is the best example of web development code I've ever seen

^reaper^

While sipping absinthe, Mimic heard a loud sucking noise coming from
alt.html,alt.hackers.malicious,alt.2600, and hastily inscribed the
following unintelligible Sanskrit in
^reaper^ said:
[snecked and snipped]

While sipping absinthe, Onideus Mad Hatter heard a loud sucking noise
coming from alt.2600, and hastily inscribed the following unintelligible
Sanskrit in said:
And add about a second to the overall page rendering time...in which
case teh saving don't amount for much. I plan to do some tests with
Reaper's code

You can try this for starters: http://www.spyderware.net/farfoos/

reeps, thats shredded in FFox 1.0.6/ XPproc

What? You want something that works? o_O

^reaper^

While sipping absinthe, Onideus Mad Hatter heard a loud sucking noise
coming from alt.2600, and hastily inscribed the following unintelligible
Sanskrit in said:
Hrmmm...if it's THAT slow just for loading teh background I'd be
better off just using a giant 90KB single graphic for teh static image
portions.

Yore browser's b0rked? o_O
I think I'm gonna just incorporate cascading style sheets, but unlike
your example I think I'll try using multiples...unless they turn out
to be incompatible with teh Mac...although I'm gettin REAL close to
just giving Mac the finger.

Kinda like this
d.pos { position:absolute }
d.hid { overflow:hidden }

with the class like this:
<d class="pos hid">

Good idea. And while you're at it, you might consider losing the js
onMouseOver/onMouseOut events for your torrent/comic menu items.
Like this:

http://www.spyderware.net/source/tester.css
http://www.spyderware.net/source/tester.htm

Look ma! No javascript!

http://www.spyderware.net/farfoos/tester.htm
That should cut down significantly on the overall amount of text, not
sure how it'll affect rendering speed though yet. The other thing I'm
going to do is have all the static elements right in the HTML itself,
rather than using js and document writes, I figure I'll only use that
when it's absolutely necesary (for animated elements).

Here's an exmaple that generates teh dom.

http://www.spyderware.net/source/hatterdom.inc

To see the output results, go here

http://www.spyderware.net/farfoos/blog.htm

And view teh source.
The other thing I'm going to look into is whether or not Flash
supports image transparencies,

It does.
if it does, I might just replace the Javascript controlled drop downs
with Flash ones. Not sure yet how that'll affect the overall size,
but it will be a bit more cross browser compatible that way since I
believe almost all major browsers accept the Flash plugin.

Definitely IE, Netscape, and firefux. As for the others, I haven't clue.
Either way, If you go the flash route, you do realize that it is using
embedded js, right?
I also want to test out Flash with my image fragments, I'm wondering
whether it'll actually save each image in its original format within
itself or if it tries to convert them in any sort of manner and if the
former, what sort of overhead does Flash add. Cause it might actually
work out to be less overhead than CSS. And again, with Flash, it
would pretty much take out the "cross browser compatibility" issue
altogether.

Color me clueless. I haven't teh slightest. o_O

FastBurnketo
Top