Threading and production environments

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by kj, Feb 3, 2006.

  1. kj

    kj Guest

    When I tried to rebuild DBI today, I got the following warning:

    *** You are using a perl configured with threading enabled.
    *** You should be aware that using multiple threads is
    *** not recommended for production environments.

    I fought hard the decision to compile perl with threading support
    because I was aware of this recommendation, but I was overruled by
    our sysadmin and several co-workers.

    I am inclined to revisit the subject, but I'd like to know how
    current the warning above really is, and whether the problems with
    enabling threading affect programs that don't explicitly use
    threading.

    Your opinions on the subject would be very much appreciated. The
    OS is Linux (SuSE) and the architecture is i686.

    Thanks,

    kj

    kj, Feb 3, 2006

  2. kj

    Guest

    kj <> wrote:
    > When I tried to rebuild DBI today, I got the following warning:
    >
    > *** You are using a perl configured with threading enabled.
    > *** You should be aware that using multiple threads is
    > *** not recommended for production environments.
    >
    > I fought hard the decision to compile perl with threading support
    > because I was aware of this recommendation, but I was overruled by
    > our sysadmin and several co-workers.
    >
    > I am inclined to revisit the subject, but I'd like to know how
    > current the warning above really is, and whether the problems with
    > enabling threading affect programs that don't explicitly use
    > threading.

    I have used DBI extensively (MySQL and Oracle) in non-threaded code running
    on a threaded build of perl, and I have never encountered a problem.
    (Well, I encouter all kinds of problems, but not ones related to the
    threadedness. :) )

    Xho

    Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

    , Feb 3, 2006