    the central column should adjust its width to fill in the remaining
    space. Such a simple concept is, I believe, virtually impossible to
    code. If anyone can do it I would be very impressed.
    Bazley, Jan 28, 2008

  2. Bazley

    A-OK-SITE Guest

    On Jan 28, 2:59 pm, Bazley <> wrote:
    > CSS is unbelievably unwieldy. All I want to do is have a page with
    > three columns. The left and right columns should be fixed width and
    > the central column should adjust its width to fill in the remaining
    > space. Such a simple concept is, I believe, virtually impossible to
    > code. If anyone can do it I would be very impressed.

    Bazely,

    Try this it lays it out in a step by step easy to understand format.

    http://a-ok-site.com/webdesign/xhtml_basics/ch10.pdf

    To center on the page set the container div margin to auto.

    #samplediv {margin:auto;}

    For more help see

    http://a-ok-site.com/webdesign/index.html

    Daniel

    http://a-ok-site.com
    A-OK-SITE, Jan 28, 2008

  3. Bazley

    A-OK-SITE Guest

    On Jan 28, 3:19 pm, A-OK-SITE <> wrote:
    > On Jan 28, 2:59 pm, Bazley <> wrote:
    >
    > > CSS is unbelievably unwieldy. All I want to do is have a page with
    > > three columns. The left and right columns should be fixed width and
    > > the central column should adjust its width to fill in the remaining
    > > space. Such a simple concept is, I believe, virtually impossible to
    > > code. If anyone can do it I would be very impressed.

    > Bazely,
    >
    > Try this it lays it out in a step by step easy to understand format.
    >
    > http://a-ok-site.com/webdesign/xhtml_basics/ch10.pdf
    >
    > To center on the page set the container div margin to auto.
    >
    > #samplediv {margin:auto;}
    >
    > For more help see
    >
    > http://a-ok-site.com/webdesign/index.html
    >
    > Daniel
    >
    > http://a-ok-site.com

    Bazley,

    Sorry for the typo on your name.

    Since that is how my website is set up let know if you have any
    problems.

    Daniel

    Http://a-ok-site.com
    A-OK-SITE, Jan 28, 2008
  4. Bazley

    A-OK-SITE Guest

    A-OK-SITE, Jan 28, 2008
  5. Bazley

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    http://www.nrkn.com/3ColEqualPositioned/
    Nik Coughlin, Jan 28, 2008
  6. Bazley

    rf Guest

    "A-OK-SITE" <> wrote in message
    > On Jan 28, 2:59 pm, Bazley <> wrote:
    >> CSS is unbelievably unwieldy. All I want to do is have a page with
    >> three columns. The left and right columns should be fixed width and
    >> the central column should adjust its width to fill in the remaining
    >> space. Such a simple concept is, I believe, virtually impossible to
    >> code. If anyone can do it I would be very impressed.

    > Bazely,
    >
    > Try this it lays it out in a step by step easy to understand format.
    >
    > http://a-ok-site.com/webdesign/xhtml_basics/ch10.pdf

    A power point presentation inside a pdf? Surely you jest. This is the web
    not the boardroom.

    --
    Richard.
    rf, Jan 28, 2008
  7. Bazley

    A-OK-SITE Guest

    On Jan 28, 3:51 pm, "rf" <> wrote:
    > "A-OK-SITE" <> wrote in message

    > > On Jan 28, 2:59 pm, Bazley <> wrote:
    > >> CSS is unbelievably unwieldy. All I want to do is have a page with
    > >> three columns. The left and right columns should be fixed width and
    > >> the central column should adjust its width to fill in the remaining
    > >> space. Such a simple concept is, I believe, virtually impossible to
    > >> code. If anyone can do it I would be very impressed.

    > > Bazely,

    > > Try this it lays it out in a step by step easy to understand format.

    > >http://a-ok-site.com/webdesign/xhtml_basics/ch10.pdf

    > A power point presentation inside a pdf? Surely you jest. This is the web
    > not the boardroom.
    >
    > --
    > Richard.

    Why would you care, I made it for a class and just converted it to
    pdf. If you don't like it, stay the away from my web site. Is that
    simple enough for you to understand.

    Daniel

    http://a-ok-site.com
    A-OK-SITE, Jan 28, 2008
  8. Bazley

    Guest

    http://www.glish.com/css/7.asp

    On Jan 28, 2:59 pm, Bazley <> wrote:
    > CSS is unbelievably unwieldy. All I want to do is have a page with
    > three columns. The left and right columns should be fixed width and
    > the central column should adjust its width to fill in the remaining
    > space. Such a simple concept is, I believe, virtually impossible to
    > code. If anyone can do it I would be very impressed.
    , Jan 28, 2008
  9. Bazley

    rf Guest

    "A-OK-SITE" <> wrote in message
    > On Jan 28, 3:51 pm, "rf" <> wrote:
    >> "A-OK-SITE" <> wrote in message

    >> > Bazely,

    >> > Try this it lays it out in a step by step easy to understand format.

    >> >http://a-ok-site.com/webdesign/xhtml_basics/ch10.pdf

    >> A power point presentation inside a pdf? Surely you jest. This is the web
    >> not the boardroom.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Richard.

    > Why would you care,

    I would care because you are trying to palm off this pdf as usefull
    information to the OP and to this newsgroup at large.

    > I made it for a class and just converted it to
    > pdf.

    Right. The OP breezes in to your pdf expecting to be enlightened on how to
    build a three column layout. OP finds the relevant example on page 18 out of
    28, after a sequential search because there is no table of contents in your
    pdf and there are no links anywhere.

    Great, thinks OP, and scrolls down to look at the next page, page 19, where
    OP is told to
    "Review the CSS on threecolumn.htm from the Student Files."

    What bloody student files? This whole exercise has been a total waste of
    time for the OP. Why did you even post a link to such useless rubbish.

    > If you don't like it, stay the away from my web site. Is that
    > simple enough for you to understand.

    And I'll extend this invitation to stay away from your web site to everybody
    else. There is no point in visiting a link to a pdf from A-OK-SITE because
    you will not learn anything, and *every* link opn the "web design" page is a
    link to a pdf.

    He's a damn google grouper as well!.

    --
    Richard.
    rf, Jan 28, 2008
  10. Scripsit Nik Coughlin:

    > "Bazley" <> wrote in message
    >> CSS is unbelievably unwieldy. All I want to do is have a page with
    >> three columns. The left and right columns should be fixed width and
    >> the central column should adjust its width to fill in the remaining
    >> space. Such a simple concept is, I believe, virtually impossible to
    >> code. If anyone can do it I would be very impressed.

    > http://www.nrkn.com/3ColEqualPositioned/

    I think the page nicely demonstrates what Bazley wrote, at least the
    "unwieldy" part. It uses fairly complicated tricks to achieve a simple
    layout that virtually anyone familiar with HTML basics could code in a
    minute using a simple HTML table. Which approach is easier to apply?
    Easier for maintenance? Easier to understand when you're reading someone
    else's code?

    (Besides, the page cheats by using IE-specific quite nonstandard CSS
    features, which are effectively kind of client-side scripting.)

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Jan 28, 2008
  11. Bazley wrote:

    > CSS is unbelievably unwieldy.

    Only until you develop the mindset to use it.

    Then you will wonder why you waited so long...

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Vista
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 28, 2008
  12. Bazley

    rf Guest

    "rf" <> wrote in message

    > "A-OK-SITE" <> wrote in message

    >> Why would you care,

    > I would care because you are trying to palm off this pdf as usefull
    > information to the OP and to this newsgroup at large.

    Hmmm. I must have offended Mr Site. He appears to have removed his posts in
    this thread from googles archive, picked up his bat and ball and gone home.

    Little does he know that these posts remain on usenet servers around the
    world for months to come :)

    --
    Richard.
    rf, Jan 29, 2008
  13. Bazley

    Guest

    On Jan 28, 6:24 pm, "rf" <> wrote:
    > "rf" <> wrote in message

    > > "A-OK-SITE" <> wrote in message
    > >> Why would you care,

    > > I would care because you are trying to palm off this pdf as usefull
    > > information to the OP and to this newsgroup at large.

    > Hmmm. I must have offended Mr Site. He appears to have removed his posts in
    > this thread from googles archive, picked up his bat and ball and gone home.
    >
    > Little does he know that these posts remain on usenet servers around the
    > world for months to come :)
    >
    > --
    > Richard.

    Mr. Site thinks you are a stupid prick. He also thinks usenet sucks.

    usenet.sucks
    , Jan 29, 2008
  14. Bazley

    asdf Guest

    "Bazley" <> wrote in message
    > CSS is unbelievably unwieldy. All I want to do is have a page with
    > three columns. The left and right columns should be fixed width and
    > the central column should adjust its width to fill in the remaining
    > space. Such a simple concept is, I believe, virtually impossible to
    > code. If anyone can do it I would be very impressed.

    Ok, here goes....

    I've given the center column a background colour, and the two outer columns
    a border so you can see how it fills the space. You need to play around with
    margins and paddings to suit your application, but this should point you in
    the general direction ok...

    Two minute job:
    <head>
    <title>3 Column CSS layout</title>
    <!--

    #leftcol, #rightcol {
    width: 150px;
    border: 1px solid #E0DFE3;
    }
    #leftcol {
    float: left;
    }
    #rightcol {
    float: right;
    }
    #centercol {
    margin-left: 150px;
    margin-right: 150px;
    background-color: #E0DFE3;
    border: 1px solid #E0DFE3;
    }
    -->
    </head>

    asdf, Jan 29, 2008
  15. Bazley

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote in message
    > Scripsit Nik Coughlin:
    >
    >> "Bazley" <> wrote in message
    >>> CSS is unbelievably unwieldy. All I want to do is have a page with
    >>> three columns. The left and right columns should be fixed width and
    >>> the central column should adjust its width to fill in the remaining
    >>> space. Such a simple concept is, I believe, virtually impossible to
    >>> code. If anyone can do it I would be very impressed.

    >> http://www.nrkn.com/3ColEqualPositioned/

    > I think the page nicely demonstrates what Bazley wrote, at least the
    > "unwieldy" part. It uses fairly complicated tricks to achieve a simple
    > layout that virtually anyone familiar with HTML basics could code in a
    > minute using a simple HTML table. Which approach is easier to apply?
    > Easier for maintenance? Easier to understand when you're reading someone
    > else's code?

    That's true Jukka, if a table is easier if you want equal height columns.
    However, non-equal height columns of the type Bazley needs are trivial. I
    intended to point that out as well, but I got distracted by work so ended up
    leaving my post as above.

    > (Besides, the page cheats by using IE-specific quite nonstandard CSS
    > features, which are effectively kind of client-side scripting.)

    Yes, yes it does. Unfortunate that.
    Nik Coughlin, Jan 29, 2008
  16. A-OK-SITE <> morphed to and
    wrote:

    > Mr. Site thinks you are a stupid prick. He also thinks usenet sucks.
    >
    > usenet.sucks

    Google Groups sucks a whole lot more...

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 29, 2008
  17. Bazley

    dorayme Guest

    In article <7nunj.8451$>,
    "rf" <> wrote:

    > "rf" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "A-OK-SITE" <> wrote in message

    > >> Why would you care,

    > > I would care because you are trying to palm off this pdf as usefull
    > > information to the OP and to this newsgroup at large.

    > Hmmm. I must have offended Mr Site. He appears to have removed his posts in
    > this thread from googles archive, picked up his bat and ball and gone home.
    >
    > Little does he know that these posts remain on usenet servers around the
    > world for months to come :)

    Well that is good because I was getting pretty tired of his
    idiotic attacks on people he did not understand.

    He was about to be introduced to Jerry Stuckle in my killfile.
    And my killfile is not like any other. I have a vast store of
    personal experience about these and have found loopholes and
    flaws in their design that have enabled me to settle in very
    comfortably, to study quietly with all the things one needs for
    solitary and productive reflection in them all.

    Armed with such experience, I designed my own kf with no
    loopholes, no comforts, and terrible plumbing.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jan 29, 2008
  18. Bazley

    rf Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > In article <7nunj.8451$>,
    > "rf" <> wrote:
    >

    >> "rf" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "A-OK-SITE" <> wrote in message

    >> > I would care because you are trying to palm off this pdf as usefull
    >> > information to the OP and to this newsgroup at large.

    >> Hmmm. I must have offended Mr Site. He appears to have removed his posts
    >> in
    >> this thread from googles archive, picked up his bat and ball and gone
    >> home.
    >>
    >> Little does he know that these posts remain on usenet servers around the
    >> world for months to come :)

    > Well that is good because I was getting pretty tired of his
    > idiotic attacks on people he did not understand.

    I had only started to notice him before he had a go at me for having a go at
    his pdf.

    Just noticed that he has taken his list of pdfs down, including a page that
    was about C++. Must have been really cranky, especially to morf into the
    usenet.sucks troll. Can you see him stalking me across usenet? :)

    That actually bears clarifying. A-OK-SITE (aka ) has
    morfed into .

    --
    Richard.
    rf, Jan 29, 2008
  19. Bazley

    Guest

    On Jan 28, 8:01 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article <7nunj.8451$>,
    >

    > "rf" <> wrote:
    >
    > > "rf" <> wrote in message

    > > > "A-OK-SITE" <> wrote in message

    > > > I would care because you are trying to palm off this pdf as usefull
    > > > information to the OP and to this newsgroup at large.

    > > Hmmm. I must have offended Mr Site. He appears to have removed his posts in
    > > this thread from googles archive, picked up his bat and ball and gone home.

    > > Little does he know that these posts remain on usenet servers around the
    > > world for months to come :)

    > Well that is good because I was getting pretty tired of his
    > idiotic attacks on people he did not understand.
    >
    > He was about to be introduced to Jerry Stuckle in my killfile.
    > And my killfile is not like any other. I have a vast store of
    > personal experience about these and have found loopholes and
    > flaws in their design that have enabled me to settle in very
    > comfortably, to study quietly with all the things one needs for
    > solitary and productive reflection in them all.
    >
    > Armed with such experience, I designed my own kf with no
    > loopholes, no comforts, and terrible plumbing.
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    Kill files are for morons like you.
    , Jan 29, 2008
  20. Bazley

    Guest

    On Jan 28, 8:33 pm, "rf" <> wrote:
    > "dorayme" <> wrote in message

    > > In article <7nunj.8451$>,
    > > "rf" <> wrote:

    > >> "rf" <> wrote in message

    > >> Hmmm. I must have offended Mr Site. He appears to have removed his posts
    > >> in
    > >> this thread from googles archive, picked up his bat and ball and gone
    > >> home.

    > >> Little does he know that these posts remain on usenet servers around the
    > >> world for months to come :)

    > > Well that is good because I was getting pretty tired of his
    > > idiotic attacks on people he did not understand.

    > I had only started to notice him before he had a go at me for having a go at
    > his pdf.
    >
    > Just noticed that he has taken his list of pdfs down, including a page that
    > was about C++. Must have been really cranky, especially to morf into the
    > usenet.sucks troll. Can you see him stalking me across usenet? :)
    >
    > That actually bears clarifying. A-OK-SITE (aka ) has
    > morfed into .
    >
    > --
    > Richard.

    You ever think it is you with the problem. You seem to be a real punk.
    , Jan 29, 2008